“If you see Jack Nicholson, run.”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Swansea, United Kingdom
“If you see Jack Nicholson, run.”
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Took my long-suffering girlfriend for a well-deserved Valentine's day trip to the Metropole using the renowned Travelzoo deal, with room, 6 course meal and breakfast included for a set price.

An earlier review notes that the hotel exterior is reminiscent of the hotel from 'The Shining'. I would take this comparison a little further, as the interior consists of narrow corridors and dated decoration. At times I was expecting a small child on a tricycle to suddenly appear at the end of the corridor, pursued by evil, identical twin sisters. Much to my disappointment, this fear didn't materialise.

The room was of excellent size, with a main bedroom and lounge sea, though both in need of a facelift. Bathroom looked recently decorated, suggesting the owners realise this and are in the process of modernising the hotel.

Room aside, we were most impressed with all that the hotel had to offer. The meal was outstanding and the service, whilst provided by an eclectic mix staff of all ages, was very good indeed. Breakfast is served as a buffet and again, was most enjoyed.

The town is slightly odd. Highlights include a hippie-ran independent store (I had to beg to convince the attendant to let me try some cheese) and a small museum charging £1 entry that I insisted we go into, which chronicled the elusive history of the area, literally from rocks to frocks (Valentine's Day brownie points were lost here).

All things considered though, we had a great time and would definitely go again. Whilst there is an element of tiredness in the look of the place, it has a quality hotel feel about it that I would guess is the result of years of good service. In summary, The Metropole is a 'Shining' example of modern British hospitality.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Earth
Reviewed February 20, 2013

After I had almost lost the will to live having driven a long and through the interminable road works and the funereal pace of local traffic it was a great pleasure to return here. I got a lovely welcome and checked in nice and easily.

I was assigned a family room which was a good size and had a comfy double bed. Being a 6'1" adult I didn't try the bunk beds in the room but I'm sure they would have been just as good as they looked like they were sturdily made.

The bathroom was a good size and spotlessly clean. The shower was certainlymore than good enough and the good quality tolietries put other hotels to shame.

Being a business traveller and needing to get up early resulted in my needing to have breakfast delivered to my room at 6-30 as the restaurant doesn't open until 7-30. It's kind of hard to criticse the hotel for this as I'm not really in their target market which is really folks who have more time on their hands then me. On my last morning as I didn't have to get up early I had breakfast in the restaurant and very good it was too. Great service and excellent value for money.

The bar and Spencer's Brasserie were both very good with a wide range of drinks, very good food and a nice ambience. Again they aren't really catering to my market so if you are a business traveller on a per diem you may find some of the prices a bit high but the food is excellent quality.

The gym is very good and well laid out for a small space. The pool was just the right temperature to relax in but two points here: 1. They close at 8PM so if you are on business it can be a bit of a rush. 2. The sauna wasn't really hot enough. I can't hold these against the hotel though as I'm not their target market. A tip for the gym - try to get an odd number locker key as these are on the top row of lockers (at least in the gents changing room)

Overall a great place to stay if you aren't in a hurry. Would I spend my own money here? - undoubtedly yes.

Room Tip: When I stayed previously room 105 was noisy due to a fan outside. This may have been fixed by now bu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Excellent weekend! Valentine special represented very good value for money and we could even take our dog. The hotel encapsulates the victorian charm of LLandridnod Wells nicely. Our room was compact but a good standard and clean, we were previously offered a suite upgrade @ £20, which I'm sure would have been worth the extra, but we were more than happy with our choice. Although the view of a fire escape from our window would have been an issue if staying extra nights. Be warned the check in time is >4pm, the latest we've ever experienced and unless you take advantage of the Spa facilities you may have to wait for access to your room, having arrived at 3 it was luckily a dry day (welsh rareity) and had a walk around the town. We recommend you take time to visit the Museum (located next door to Hotel) it is small but informative and an ideal start point to seeing Llandridnod. The evening meal (5 course Valentine special) was again a high standard and well presented. There was an abundance of waiting staff that professionally handled a busy restuarant , although a little too eager to rush us through the courses in my opinion. The breakfast the following morning was exceptional, again plenty of staff and far more relaxed this time, which set us up nicely for a day touring the Elan Valley. The Spa facilities were well equiped and worthy of the star rating, perhaps not the best we've been to, but enjoyable all the same.
All in all this dog friendly hotel can be highly recommended if you're visiting mid Wales or dinning out in the area. Don't expect 5 star crisp modern, this is a very old hotel steeped in regional history and should be forgiven one or two short comings. It was good to see they were busy, if not full to capacity, however they were efficient with plenty of staff available to cope with the task. Keep an eye open for offers and promotions, you could get a bargain here if you're lucky, but their tarif is fair compared to lesser alternatives locally.

Room Tip: Might be worth paying a bit more and getting a bigger room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Gorwydd, thank you for your comprehensive feedback following your stay with us last weekend. It was a lovely weekend and the Elan Valley was particularly beautiful. I went for a short run of about 7 miles along the cycle/running path that skirts up alongside the dams on Saturday morning and it was fabulous. Funnily enough I noticed a few of my guests from the Metropole who had hired bikes from Clive Powell in Rhayader and were also using the trail. I am very pleased you discovered the Museum next to the hotel. It is a gem. My mother is involved in some way, possibly as a trustee or something, I must ask her exactly what she does. We are currently spending a bit of money adding some treatment rooms to the Spa and at the same time will give the foyer behind reception a spruce up. Delighted you enjoyed your stay and see you again I hope. Regards Justin Baird-Murray, Owner.
Marple, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We were given this experience as a 40th wedding anniversary present by friends who came and shared the break.
The hotel had high standards of rooms which were all large spacious and clean with an excellent shower.( we viewed 3 rooms including those of our friends )
The spa was excellent and we all took advantage of this facility
.On the first night we had the 6 course taster menu which we found delightful and thought could not be bettered.
How wrong could we be ? On the second night we went to the brasserie and were truely amazed at the quality of the food we had , 2 of us had the fillit steak at an extra few pounds cost and it was cooked and served to perfection.
The staff were all brilliant, very helpful and always on hand to help.
I would like to single out Sandra who cared for our table on the second night.She was everything you could wish for ,polite helpful very friendly and as pleasant a soul as you could wish to meet.
This was a great break in a fabulous hotel at a most reasonable price and we shall be returning in the near future. ( Something we do not often do. This sums it all up to us )
Well done to everybody for making our stay so memorable.

1 Thank SueandTrevor
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Sue and Trevor. I am very fortunate to have delightful staff and Sandra is a particularly charming young lady. She will be thrilled to see your kind comments. I was so pleased that your whole party enjoyed the stay and hope to welcome you back again soon. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner.
west midlands
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Booked this on travel zoo.executive room on the front of the hotel..slight road noise..lovely room..large room.fabulous bathroom..staff superb from start to finish..had the six course taster menu which was great..many hotels today seem rundown..this is totally different with a constant plan to update and offer a service for the customer which is an absolute credit to the hotel..terrific value for money....and certainly would return..

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Hairybear, typing that was pretty challenging..... Delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back by which time we will have probably finished the Spa development. Regards Justin Baird-Murray
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We were bought a night in this hotel as a gift. It included use of the spar, a six course tasting dinner and breakfast in the morning. The Hotel is a lovely old Victorian building, but isn't at all dated. Its a lovely blend of great quality service, food and accommodation at an incredibly reasonable cost (our 'deal' was a special offer £99). Our room was spacious and the bathroom superb. The food was great but what stood out the most to us was the service quality of all of the staff. The spar area was nice and the spar treatments reasonably priced. Llandrindod Wells was a pretty little spar town and a lovely stop off on your way further into Wales or a return journey back. It is a little gem what you get for what you pay we felt was really excellent. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Susan, I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Llandrindod Wells is a lovely town with a particularly picturesque lake, I hope you got to see it. I look forward to welcoming you back. Regards Justin Owner
Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Sometimes return visits to places can be disappointing but our second visit to the Metropole certainly wasn't. The winter special deal including an overnight stay and six course tasting menu has to be one of the best hotel deals on the Internet, and believe me we know what we are talking about when it comes to that particular subject.

The hotel is clean and well presented. We had the unexpected surprise of an upgrade to one of the Towr Suites which was spacious, and added a touch of luxury to our trip.

We had treatments booked in the spa which are reasonably priced and carried out by a highly professional team. The spa facilities themselves are all you could ask for with a reasonably sized swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. All clean and well maintained.

The food is immaculately presented and, more importantly, tastes great. Our compliments go to the chef and his team and also to the waiters and waitresses who are courteous and efficient, as are all the staff at the Metropole.

We rarely visit the same place twice but enjoy this treat to ourselves so much we will certainly be back to the Metropole very soon.

Room Tip: Go for one of the Tower Suites if you can.
1 Thank DaznKaz637
Dear DaznKaz, it is very nice to hear from repeat visitors and I was especially pleased to hear that your 2nd visit was equally good. We are fortunate to have great team of staff in every department so thank you for mentioning them. Hope you can make it a third trip soon. Kind regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandrindod Wells
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Y Talbot
Y Talbot
#1 of 1 in Tregaron

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!