“Incredible value and a wonderful visit.”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My wife and I decided to let the train take the strain during this snowy January. Needless to say it broke down en route and this added to the excitement but, fortunately, the driver managed a repair some 45 minutes later and we arrived at the station and picked our way uphill along snow-covered pavements the short distance to the large and imposing green hotel - some 7 minutes from the station.

We arrived before our room was ready but Abby, the very helpful and efficient receptionist, loooked after our luggage while we explored parts of the town. We visited the small museum nearby, several of the shops, had a pleasant snack in the Fern cafe by the station and tried to look round the Cycle Museum (sadly closed for the winter). There are many imposing Victorian buildings and the nearby park was well worth a quick visit - despite the snow.

Room 135 was ready and we settled in. The room was at the back of the hotel: it is large and well furnished ,with a spacious en-suite, comfortable bucket chairs, good wardrobe space, desk and a large double bed. Very impressive, with quality furnishings and fittings but the cold tap only produced a tiny trickle of water. Apparently the water systen needed attention for after a few minutes our room phone rang and we were offered an upgrade to the Wye Suite at the front of the Metropole.

This was a really spacious and impressive suite with a four poster bed, very large TV, comfortable armchairs, big desk, double windows, chests of drawers, hanging wardrobe and a lovely. modern bathroom with bath & shower - and two matching basins. A truly comfortable and luxurious upgrade!

We made good use of the spa and the exercise facilities: head and shoulder massages proved very relaxing and professional; the swimming pool is unusually attractive and almost 20 metres long; the sauna, jacussi and steam room were all clean and working well; the gym is small but the machines are modern and instruction is on hand if needed. A pleasant experience that increased our growing appetites for food.

Food in the restaurant proved to be absolutely delicious. The talented chef has managed to combine great local meats and fish with unusual sauces that worked superbly together. The restaurant is quite spacious and comfortable, the service is friendly and efficient, the wine choice is impressive and the mark-up reasonable. All in all we really enjoyed this dining experience and we rate the food on a par with Michelin starred meals we have had in the past. Our vegetarian waitress was great fun and clearly enjoyed her work.

Our huge bed proved to be really comfortable and, despite the noise of passing traffic, we slept very well. Our one slight niggle proved to concern the inadequte amount of reading light in the chair nearest the bed - but this is a small detail. Breakfast was another delight: help yourself to juices, yoghurts & fruit, also to toast and croissants. The full breakfast was just that - FULL. Locally sourced, impressively served and delicious...if only the butter hadn't come as foil-wrapped rectangles, I would have been in heaven.

Thank you Metropole for a wonderful, memorable and luxurious stay!

Room Tip: Away from the front of the hotel is passing traffic is likely to disturb your sleep.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank John W
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear John, delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we shall welcome you back soon. My friends at Arriva trains will be delighted to hear you made use of the excellent train service from Shrewsbury to Swansea via Llandrindod Wells. It's a splendid line. Not long ago I had a receptionist who lived out on a farm near Llanbister and when she came in on the train they used to stop as they passed by her farm to pick her up, now that really was taking the strain. Sadly I expect health and safety might now have something to say, but I hope not. Kind regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

There are newer reviews for Metropole Hotel

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Had a lovely time with a fantastic value Travelzoo voucher. Good food, super spa area and friendly service. Room was a good size, clean with everything we needed. We left a few things behind and were delighted when the hotel forwarded them to us

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tenthmews

Dear Tenthmews, I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Metropole. Since your stay we have launched a new six course taster menu which will be running until the end of April on our great £99 offer and can be booked by clicking on the special offer on the Tripadvisor web site. Hope we will get the chance to welcome you back. Regards Justin Baird-Murray

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Thank you Metropole for a wonderful day/evening/breakfast. Staff were excellent and surroundings, what more could you want? We arrived at the Metropole and had lunch in Spencers which was a very relaxed and superb experience. Staff were very busy but had time for detail. After a walk around Llandrindod we then had coffee infront of the fire in Spencers, again delightful on a cold January afternoon. Our evening Taster Menu was faultless... served by attentive staff and even though we were late arriving nothing was rushed, our lamb was cooked to perfection. We retired to the lounge for our coffee again totally relaxed. What can I say about our room....apart from it was spotless and we had agreed to meet our friends for breakfast at 9.00hrs as both my husband and myself are early risers... we were late waking at 8.45 hrs... Panic. Perfect nights sleep. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank carolinemumby
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Caroline, how very kind of you to write such glowing review following your stay. I am assuming that 'coffee' is a new code word for 'glass of wine'..... see you again soon, Justin x

Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here through being on a teaching and learning programme. The staff were very friendly and offered support ( with cases etc) wifi is free which was very useful considering my phone (EE) had very little signal. Check in and out was very efficient. The food was adequate but could have been a tad warmer ( evening meal only). The wine could have been better quality for the prices (£24 & 19). Conference breakout sessions accommodated well. And when systems didn't work staff came to help. A big negative for a colleague of mine was that the printing facilities were well over- priced ( £10 for 5 copies of a handout.)
I believe a standard double room is currently priced at £126
I had a family room as it contained double and two bunk beds. Before attending the conference I tried hotel web page which had no reference to hair driers ( so I need not have packed 1)
The room had a fab bathroom and also tea coffee making facilities. Trouser press iron ironing board in the room too. Wall mounted tv. If you use several wifi devices you require log in codes for each device( given freely). Overall a comfortable hotel. I would return.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Bebsy, thanks very much for your review following your stay for a conference. I am sorry if the food was not as warm as it should have been and will talk to my Kitchen staff. We charge 11p per A 4 copy which is about average for such a service so if your colleague was charged £10 the 5 documents she must have had about 18 pages per document. If she thinks she may have been overcharged she must get in touch with us and we will be happy to investigate. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel either on business or for pleasure in the near future. Kind regards Justin Baird-Murray, owner.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

There are good and bad things.
We got an very good deal at £100 for room and dinner and breakfast.
Dinner was the best bit of the week end, very deserving of its rosettes, but staff were changing the plates too quick, we felt like we were being rushed (the chef wouldn't be too happy with that !! his food is very good indeed).
Room was quite nice we got upgraded to a suite but little things were missing, the furniture was a bit worn, not as clean as it could have been.
Gym : staff couldn't work out the equipment (TV's) wires hanging not really working
Swimming and jacuzzi TOO COLD
some areas of the hotels really need a refurb or a lick of paint. Dining room is lovely seems like it's just been done up. Bar also lovely. Some other areas look really dingy.
On the whole for the price 4 stars !

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kl_le
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Kl_le, thank you for your constructive feedback about the speed of the service. I shall certainly remind my staff that the dinner is a pleasure to be enjoyed not rushed through. It is very unusual for the cleanliness to be questioned and of course frustrating that because of the anonymous nature of tripadvisor reviews it is difficult to single out which room you were in. I have mentioned to my housekeeper your comments in a general manner.
We have had a problem with the freeview on the TV's in the gym. Today I ordered 4 new ones with built in freeview which should resolve this issue. I apologies if you found the jacuzzi too cold. We are quieter at this time of year and have used the opportunity, as we do every year, to give corridors etc a lick of paint. Thank you for your helpful feedback and I hope you shall visit the hotel again soon to see the work we continue to do to improve the service and amenities, kind regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I've stayed at the Metropole Hotel several times on business and have no complaints whatsoever. The hotel staff are extremely efficient and attentive, and the food is truly the best I have ever had at any hotel in the UK. The hotel is clean and well cared for, and is perfect for a conference or a holiday in Mid Wales.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Dear Beth, your comments are very kind and will be greatly appreciated by all my staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon. Kind regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Reviewed December 28, 2012

The main thing I would say about going here for afternoon tea is DON'T.A pot of tea is advertisd but you actually get half a jug of water and ONE teabag in a cup. This arrives about 20 minutes before any food.When I queied the solitary teabag the (rude) waitress assured me it was a speciality teabag!! I was treating a friend for her birthday, very disappointing.I have since had afternoon tea whilst away in Oxford and what a difference, cheaper too. Wake up Metropole.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank piggy694Wales

Dear Piggy, I am sorry that you were disappointed with your afternoon tea and thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have a very pleasant team working on the Bar but will of course talk through the process of serving afternoon tea to make sure we are all singing from the same hymn sheet. Thank you Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandrindod Wells
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Maesmawr Hall Hotel
Maesmawr Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Caersws

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!