“Does what it says”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Reviewed September 12, 2012

This hotel delivered exactly what it promised.

My room which was booked at the last minute and unfortunately overlooked a fire escape but it was well equipped, pleasantly furnished, clean and with an immaculate bathroom.

The restaurant delivered well cooked and beautifully presented food and an adequate selection. The staff were generally pleasant and attentive although etiquette is clearly a little different in Eastern Europe (plates were cleared before everyone at our table had finished eating).

The breakfast buffet was more than adequate. The reception desk was efficiently operated and the hotel management were in evidence including the owner who was very pleasant and personable. I would not hesitate to return and the surrounding countryside is really fabulous.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking out and not in!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gerald S
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear Gerald, how kind of you to mention me in your feedback. My staff and I all read feedback and greatly appreciate compliments! I think training would have been the issue in the restaurant, not etiquette, and I shall have a quiet retrain with some of the staff there. My suspicion is that it was an oversight and not habit. I hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon. Regards Justin

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Travelled to the hotel as part of a large group of car enthusiasts.

The public areas of the hotel were were comfortable and inviting. Staff were very friendly, courteous and helpful. We stayed on a Dinner, Bed & Breakfast tariff and service in the restaurant(s) was very good and the food was excellent.

Our room was a twin and whilst the room was quite large the decoration and furnishings could have done with a freshen up. I believe that some rooms have already been refurbished. The ensuite shower and bathroom was well equipped but was a little cramped.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Don A

Dear Don A
We greatly enjoyed having the MGR V8 club staying with us. Lovely cars and we hope you sall all return to beautiful mid Wales in the near future. As you rightly say we are continually upgrading and where possib;e increasing the size of bathrooms or bedrooms. In order to do this have reduced the number of bedroom over the last 3 years from 122 to 110. I suspect that this trend will continue as we increase quality over quantity. Hope to welcome you and your cars back soon. Regards Justin Baird-Murray

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Took the Heart of Wales train line from Swansea to Llandrindod Wells last week. After a lovely scenic journey we were looking forward to a special dining experience at the Metropole. We had booked in advance so we had a table available to us. When we ordered our food (a main course each), we ordered nibbles to share whilst waiting for the main course. I eventually had to ask where they were. They then appeared only a few minutes before our main course was presented.
When the mains arrived both my partner and I were underwhelmed with what on paper had sounded promising. My partner said her chicken supreme was passable but nothing special and my sri lankan prawn and banana salad was uninspiring and lacking in depth of flavour and colours. My salad consisted of lettuce(lots of it) cherry tomatoes, cashew nuts and the aforementioned banana and prawns and that was it. This alone would not have bothered me, as it is one mans opinion at the end of the day. However, not once did the bar and waiting staff smile and we were never asked during the course of the meal whether we were enjoying our meal or whether it had been enjoyable. The price I also found to be probably one or two pounds overpriced per meal. The hotel is a lovely building with a really luxuriant feel about it. It is a minor point but the day would have been perfect if the food and service had been a little better.

2  Thank mike s
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Mike,
I am really sorry you were disappointed with your meal in Spencers Bar. It would helpful for me to know which day you came so that I can speak to the staff on duty that day and ensure that necessary re-training is undertaken. I can be contacted on info@metropole.co.uk. Many thanks Justin Baird-Murray owner

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We recently stayed at The Metropole Hotel and have to say were really pleased. We got a very good deal through the website for a two night stay including dinner on the first evening and it was extremely good value for money. We stayed in an Executive Double, the room was spotless, the bathroom looked brand new and the room was modern. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was absolutely delicious on both nights, probably the best meal we've had in a long time. We used the pool a few times and found the facilities an added bonus. We'd definitely stay at this hotel again.

2  Thank Katherine M
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Katherine
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Metropole and I hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. Regards Justin

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Second time at the Metropole. Enjoyed it first time but even better now. Stayed in modernised family room, nicely decorated, lovely bathroom and double bunk beds in ajoining bedroom for kids and their own tv. The Service was very good at reception and in restaurant. Food is very good. The Spa and pool area very good. We were offered a two night stay via e-mail from the hotel with breakfast both mornings, three course evening meal on both nights for two adults, champagne on first night and bottle of house wine on 2nd night , plus a 30 minute spa treatment for me and wife. Total cost was £247 which was a bargain. Looking forward to going back again if priceis right.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank herridge15

Dear Herridge
It is always great to receive positive feedback from regular guests and I am delighted that you found your stay even better this time around. We regularly have offers on our web site and I hope we will be welcoming you back to the hotel again soon. Regards Justin

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Having read the mixed reviews about this hotel before we visited I was a bit worried about staying at the Metropole but in my opinion this hotel offers really good value for money. The staff are so pleasant and efficient, the bar area modern and comfortable, Spencer's brasserie also modern with great food at reasonable prices and the restaurant excellent. The Spa is lovely and for a hotel the treatments are extremely well priced. The pool, steam room and sauna all very enjoyable. Our room (121) was a little small for an executive room, our friends had room 139 which was a lot bigger with a more modern bathroom but nevertheless they were clean and functional so no complaints there. Overall the stay at this hotel was a good experience. Would definitely stay there again

Room Tip: If you want a big Tom then don't get room 121.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear Liza
I am really pleased that we exceeded your expectations following some of the tripadvisor reviews you had read. Overall I am pretty relaxed about the tripadvisor reviews we receive. Having run the Metropole now for 16 years I've learnt that sadly we cant please all the people all the time. Having said that we do our best to please everyone and most of the time I think we hit the mark. As you would expect in an old building pretty much no room is the same, I hope you would agree it adds to the character. Over the years we have invested pretty heavily in the facilities and I was so pleased to read that you found the hotel both good value whilst providing good facilities and service. I hope you and your friend will return again soon and I'll make sure you get a bigger room than them. Kind Regards Justin, Owner

Reviewed August 28, 2012

My husband, my 9 & 6 year old and i have just stayed in the Metropole for two nights over the bank holiday weekend. Although the hotel has obviously had some refurbishment, it still retains the character and beauty of an old building.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the family room was spacious and clean. The pool was a great asset with plenty to do in the surrounding areas and a great base for further afield.
Would recommend to all!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Martine
This is the second very nice review I have received in 24 hours from couples who brought their children to stay for an August break which is really satisfying. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and found the staff friendly and helpful. Please let us know should you return if their is anything further we could do to enhance your stay with us. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandrindod Wells
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Three Wells Hotel
Three Wells Hotel
#2 of 4 in Howey

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!