“Excellent value short break - wonderful scenery and walks”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Took advantage of Travelzoo offer for a birthday treat in an 'Executive' room, described as supplying bathrobe - I would have brought my own otherwise following surgery.

Six course meal excellent value, and very comfortable room, and bed in particular. One of the best we've had in a hotel.

Sadly the spa was disappointing; The young staff were not friendly when I went to book my treatment, and advised a £25 charge for the hire of a robe!! I queried this with reception (who, in contrast, were understanding and helpful), and they referred me on to the 'Duty Manager'.
All he did was to reiterate that there would be a £25 charge (FOR CLIENTS ON SPECIAL PACKAGE) to hire a bathrobe to come down to the spa from my room. I cancelled my treatment, and thought I would have a manicure instead. Rang spa to book, only to be told that no appointments were available ....

Not quite the pampering I had been looking forward to on this special birthday

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are onto a pleasant park, but also quite a busy road; we liked being in a quiet...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,367)

Reviewed April 3, 2012

Another travelzoo special, and I would echo many of the recent posts. The exec bedroom we had was large and the bathroom lovely with plenty of shelf space to put toiletries. The spa was very nice and the massage I had excellent (though the kitchen cooking smells come in via the ventilation, which needs to be addressed). The meal was not Welsh or "gourmet tasting" as the portions were standard-sized and there was a bit of a mass catering feel about it but really, for the money it was fantastic. Nice breakfast though I didn't eat from the hot buffet and again didn't seem very Welsh despite being locally sourced. The town is dull but the surrounding countryside stunning.

Room Tip: Exec room modern, spacious.
1  Thank RosemaryE
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Lovely old hotel right in the centre of town. Check in, quick and easy, dining options and spa information explained clearly. Very happy with our room and large modern bathroom. Having an indoor pool was an added bonus and a good size. Comparing the 6course meal with other recent stay and dine offers and for the same price range, you couldn't begin to compare, we personally thought it was below average, we also felt the same about the breakfast. This didn't spoil our stay and all in all had a lovely time in the Metropole hotel...

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We too had the Travelzoo offer, We found the hotel to be excellent ( no body lotion just whispered in my ear ! ). Six course meal was great and portions large. Service was excellent, attentive but discreet. I left my mobile in the room and it was despatched back to me by recorded delivery toute de suite. We recommend anyone to visit this lovely area and stay in this it`s premier hotel

Reviewed March 26, 2012

We recently stayed overnight at The Metropole Hotel, When we arrived there was a motorcycle group arriving and shortly after a coach load from the west country. It is a large Victorian hotel but the rooms and amenities were very much up to date. Our room was large, very comfortable and very clean. We found the staff very friendly and always ready with a smile. You could not fault the 6 course taste of Wales dinner, all cooked well, served hot and on hot plates by very competent staff. No long waits between courses but not rushed either. Thy had no trouble coping with a full dining room. would have given a 5 rating but found reception not quite up to the standard of the rest of the staff.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank BlueroanWarwickshire
Reviewed March 26, 2012

My husband booked a surprise trip to this hotel as I had never been to Wales. The deal was on travelzoo, and included a glass of champagne and a 6 course menu, as well as an overnight stay and breakfast. The hotel is a little bit tired in the decor and could do with modernising, but it was perfectly clean and comfortable. The spa was a great addition to the hotel and we spent some time in there. The 6 course menu surpassed my expectations, you must go hungry as there is so much food, and very good quality considering the number they are catering for. The dining area is much more modern than the rest of the hotel. Breakfast was a buffet and was a lot of choice, including made to order items if you desire. It was a lovely stay, and also a great base to explore the brecon beacons.

1  Thank Stace15
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We too had the fantastic £99 Travelzoo deal so at that price our expectations were not set too high. I am very pleased to say that they were, however, exceeded by this unusual hotel.

My heart sank when a coachload of travellers of, shall we say, senior years arrived just as we were walking in as we feared that the furnishings and food might both be set at a level to suit such tours. However, the tour party appeared to be dealt with quickly and efficiently and later we saw that they had been served in a separate part of the dining room.

The dining experience that evening was also efficiently handled and 6 courses were served at the right temperature, attractively presented and were really most enjoyable! Breakfast the next morning was also very good with an excellent hot buffet.

It was really good to see an independant hotel so busy and it's nice to be able to recommend it.

1  Thank M0llyGT
#2 of 3 in Llandrindod Wells
Peterstone Court Hotel
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!