“Delightful”
Review of Cartref Hotel

Cartref Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fishguard
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I spent a night here after arriving on the late night ferry from Ireland. I had unfortunately given the wrong date of arrival but the owner was warm and friendly even upon being woken unexpectedly at 1 in the morning. My room was cosy and comfortable and the very smart little ensuite bathroom was spotlessly clean with nice soft towels. The next morning my breakfast was delicious with local sausages and as I was the only guest and of a fairly chatty disposition myself the landlady and I had a very nice chat. Truly lovely to find such a nice interesting and kind person, she even made me rye bread and cheese sandwiches for my long drive back to Devon. I would definitely stay there again and would happily recommend it to friends. If you are looking for an anonymous impersonal experience and are expecting high hotel standards then this may not be for you. The Cartref hotel has two stars not four, but I'd also give it two thumbs up.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Oh, the sweet and the sour of hotelkeeping! Thank you for your sweet review! It is like having friends over!

Reviewed January 14, 2014

"It was a dark and stormy night when we arrived at the Cartref Hotel". Sadly this is not the start of a fictional tome - our experience at the Cartref was all too real.
I can honestly say this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Inside it is dark and extremely smelly with an added fragrance of cheap air freshener, presumably to cover up the smell of the dog.
Our room was dingey and quite cold - the heating never really seemed to get going. The bedding and towels did appear clean but quite old. Our stay was in January, but there was only a sheet, a blanket and a bedspread on the bed and even though extra blankets were available they were not enough to keep us warm. The bed was old and creaky and the mattress had a big dip in the middle, making it very difficult to sleep.
The bathroom was not very clean. There was hair on the bathroom mirror, on the floor and bathmat as well as in the bath plug hole. My husband found a box of earplugs left in the drawer of his bedside chest, presumably left by some previous visitor.
Our hostess, although pleasant and kind, was a little intrusive, seeming always wanting to talk when we were going in and out. The front desk and tables in the breakfast room are covered in papers, newspaper cuttings and general junk - everything looks grubby.
The first morning at breakfast I asked for scrambled egg on toast, but requested that it should not be overdone. The proprietor brought some very rubbery-looking scrambled egg to the table, which I declined; I suspect she'd tried to cook it in a microwave, rather than in a pan on the hob. We were not allowed to help ourselves to anything; juice and cereal were portioned out and the coffee, from a machine, was very bitter and cool.
We noticed outside that the hotel had a Two Star rating from the AA. It was so awful we wondered whether this signage was out of date, but surprisingly, since returning home, we have discovered that it is up to date. As a result, we have also e-mailed the AA suggesting they review their grading of the Cartref.
I would not advise anyone to book this hotel if they can avoid it.

Room Tip: Certainly not the one we had, Room 4, as it is uncomfortable and also appears to have the Fire Exit...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ShelleyBar
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Thank you for pointing out the problem with the bed as no one else had mentioned it! Yesterday I ordered a replacement. There are two radiators in the room you stayed in, both hot as I now tried them. In the wardrobe there are extra two all-wool blankets besides the all-wool blanket in the bed. I normally put the heating on early evening when guests are arriving. (If you need the heating on during daytime, you just have to ask!) The radiators are on in all the rooms, also in those unoccupied, to prevent any dampness. (Yes, the gas bill is enormous!)
The earplugs are a courtesy of the Hotel for light sleepers - we are in High Street!
In a few days the renovation of the rest of my bathrooms will finally be finished - a job I expected to be over by Christmas - and I have been able to book the carpet cleaner. I wouldn't call Pecksniff's exactly cheap.
I apologise again for the disastrous eggs. I should have done better. And after that I was not able to offer anything good enough. My coffee in the coffee machine is Fairtrade Colombian which is generally appreciated. I will check the hotness next time I use it.
When your husband phoned to book, he asked me 'to do better' in the price. I replied that I have already quoted downwards. When he paid I, unprompted, knocked a few pounds down again as your breakfasts were minimalistic.
I had a hotel inspection in December, and in half of the categories the Hotel was placed above the 2 star requirement. But I am very happy with my 2 star status. It is above all the variety of people I get to serve that gives me the zest of life.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Decided to stay somewhere in West Wales for a night or two to celebrate my partner's 50th birthday... on a Monday... in December!! Didn't book to keep options open and get a feel for a place before committing.

We decided to go for Fishguard and happened upon Cartref around 6pm on the Monday and booked in for the night. The building was full of character and the room was comfortable, clean and tidy. We headed straight out to eat and didn't get back until late, after experiencing the delights of the local drinking establishments. However, in the morning we were made very welcome by the hostess and cooked a lovely breakfast. In fact, when asked what time we wanted breakfast the previous evening we were very cheeky in asking for a late one, but not made to feel guilty in any way.

I usual don't like dogs much at all but I loved little Toby. I even dreamt about him the following night!! Bless him!

In short, this was a good value, practical place to stay and it's characterful, no-frills, clean and comfy feeling suited us perfectly.

I would say I'd recommend it to others but I already have to a friend looking for a few days winter break in the area. I would happily stay again.

Thank you.

PS. Who is Jenny?!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Toby and I are very grateful for your kind words! Now I can say about him that he is 'liked even by people who do not normally like dogs'! Thank you! - I wouldn't have thought it was 50th birthday...
You are asking about Jenny - I cannot think where you came across that name.
Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We were arriving in fishguard after midnight so had to find somewhere to stay convenient to the ferry and with available accomodation. Most places were full so ended up in the Cartref. It was old fashioned to say the least and quirky. The fire escape was throught our room!! It was untidy and had a very noisy dog. HOWEVER
The room was warm the bed was clean the bathroom was satisfactory and the breakfast well cooked and plentiful though I was reprimanded for not eating my tomatoes.
For a quick stay convenient to the boat it was fine--but please--don't let a dog run through the dining room

Room Tip: our room was fine but the owner offered earplugs which was ominous
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Thank you for your frank review! I have taken your points on board. Just a few notes! The position of the fire escapes are determined by the fire officers, and in the old properties the solutions are always very individual. The earplugs are in the rooms as a courtesy - but hardly used. The Hotel is being gradually renovated - six bathrooms and four bedrooms were done last year and this year will see other work done. You are most welcome to visit again should you so choose!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I decided to take a last minute break before the winter and have always loved walking the Pembrokeshire coast path. Needless to say, at such a last minute, accommodation in the area was limited. I came across the Cartref on Laterooms.com and the location and price appeared to be just right so I made the booking. On arrival I was greeted by Kristina and her little, friendly jack russell dog, Toby. I was immediately struck by the "old world" charm of the hotel, so much better than the clinical, glass and plastic facade of hotels costing three times as much a night. I have spent a good deal of my working life living out of a suitcase all over the UK and Europe so I felt at home immediately.
The room was excellent, clean with a separate toilet and shower cubicle, just what I needed! Full english breakfast was very good with a few european "goodies" thrown in. The general decor of the hotel was somewhat austere but, for me, this just added to the charm of the place. Many thanks Krisitna for a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thank you for coming to stay! I admired your resilience on the Path! I am now in the gradual process of renovating the Hotel, and after most of the bathrooms, some rooms and the new dining tables I am now keenly planning the next stage. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is a lovely hotel. Everything is clean and tidy, the location is fantastic for visiting this part of Wales. The host (Kristina) made us feel right at home. We came with a baby and were accommodated with a crib and there was lots of space to move around in our room. Locals visit the hotel and are eager to chat. If you chat one or two of them up - they might invite you for an interesting evening out in one of the country pubs. You might not understand half of what they say, but it is loads of fun! The town of Fishguard is lovely and relaxing after the noise and high energy level of London. It is a short drive to St. David's and the countryside is beautiful and full of history to explore. I cannot say enough about the hospitality and "gemutlichkeit". Great corner of the country to visit.

Room Tip: I think the room in the separate section are roomier.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Thank you for writing a review! I enjoyed having you to stay!

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Whilst arranging a UK tour for ourselves and family from Australia, we noticed the favourable comments posted for the Cartref and booked 2 rooms for two nights at £75/room/night (B&B). Having toured much of Scotland, South England, Cornwall & S Wales, staying in similar priced accommodation (all good to excellent) over the last two months, we were looking forward to our stay. On arrival, we had a shock. The bell was answered by a 'barefoot' lady, who showed us to the nearby 'reception', which was an absolute mess with papers and brochures piled everywhere, there was also a pervading unpleasant smell. With trepidation, we had a look at the rest of the 'Hotel' and our allocated rooms, all of which was uninviting and well worn. The website photo's are very misleading and there is no bar. After discussing the above with the lady, we left the Hotel and contacted the Booking Company, who refunded £127 of our £150 deposit immediately. we subsequently found excellent accommodation further up the Welsh coast. In essence, I we would not recommend this Hotel at any price.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank GlynneL645
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review! Let's just state that the Cartref was not for you and I am glad you found a hotel to your liking and I was trying to help you in finding one. I was still in the middle of doing the rooms when you arrived a couple of hours before your stated arrival time. I would like to correct that we do have a bar. Also, one of the rooms offered to you had a complete makeover during the past year and hardly is 'well worn'. The other has a new modern bathroom and might be simpler in décor, still well cleaned. We do not claim to be but a small family run hotel and I am sorry if you had a different impression from the website.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fishguard
Fishguard Bay Hotel
Gellifawr Woodland Retreat
No photo provided
Tara Hotel
#4 of 4 in Fishguard

Been to Cartref Hotel? Share your experiences!