“What a Gem, small but perfectly formed !!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Barmouth
Cuisines: British, Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Welshpool, United Kingdom
“What a Gem, small but perfectly formed !!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Booked weeks ago for our visit on May 11th as we didnt want to miss it after reading the reviews on here.

Very small Bistro, but places are set so you dont feel cramped, and we settled down with the menu's and some lovely fresh bread and Olives (nice professional touch)

I went for Scallops in Bacon Jam starter which was sublime, and the Bacon Jam sounds weird but wow !!!
Wifey opted for Garlic mushrooms which were not the normal fayre you get with this starter. The mushrooms were huge and coated in a light batter?, perfect

I then had the Surf and Turf, Huge Sirloin with King Prawns and more Scallops. Steak was done to perfection medium rare and came with chips which was my only gripe as they were too al dente!!
My other half had the Belly Pork which was very tasty, although she did say it was a touch salty

Sticky toffee pudding and Cheese Board rounded off a perfect evening, and so close to 5 star that we will definitely return ASAP

£85 for two with a good wine was worth it for this quality. Please buy the place next door and expand, although that will probably spoil the special feel of the place

• Visited May 2013

Shrewsbury
“Biggest Scallops ever!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

We popped in on the evening of my fella's birthday. It's a small place but neatly arranged with small tables - just right for an intimate meal.

We were greeted warmly by the friendly waitress and given a run down of the specials available that evening. I opted for scallops with pancetta which I've only ever had once before (elsewhere) and I found these strangely without much taste, although they were absolutely huge! My partner had battered king prawns with chilli dip which were OK but really nothing special. For mains he opted for the fillet steak with peppercorn sauce which unfortunately was not as tasty as others he experienced on that holiday. I had pork belly with jus, served with veg and new potatoes, which was lovely but oh dear very salty. I did point my worries out to the waitress and she did take an interest and said she'd inform the chef of my comments.

I know that locals rate this as a top place to eat in Barmouth, so perhaps it just wasn't our night. I would try them again.

Harlech, United Kingdom
“What a find!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Ate at this lovely little restaurant last night and, as we live in Harlech, we will definitely be going back there. The food was amazing, the slow cooked lamb was the best I've ever tasted and the cheese board was excellent. All in all a great evening.

Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful little restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We ate here twice during the week we stayed in Barmouth, the first time calling in more in hope than expectation of getting a table, and the second time we had booked a couple of weeks earlier. Both meals more than lived up to expectation. This is a very small restaurant, with warm and friendly service without being too intrusive. All the food we ate was delicious but the slow cooked shoulder of lamb and the steak were outstanding. It was not inexpensive but the quality of the food and wine made it excellent value.

Cambridge, England
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

What a wonderful find Bistro Bermo was. Visited on 18th April 2013 and had the most wonderful meal. Sweet scallops with crisp salty pancetta to start, and then the star of the show in the best piece of 28 day aged fillet steak I've ever eaten. Friendly, cosy, wonderful service and food.