Ty'r Graig Castle
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
Dolffanog Fawr(Tal-y-llyn)
View Hotel
All reviewsturret roomstained glass windowsinteresting historyentrance hallowners and staffcardigan bayoriginal featuressea viewevening mealfour postersmall hotelon arrivalbeautiful buildingfantastic viewsfish and chipsmany thanksone night stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Ty'r Graig is a small hotel built as a private (large) house in 1892. It retains some interesting features of that time. We received a warm and friendly welcome, and had a pleasant room on the top floor rear, with an uninteresting view across the road and houses to steep hillsides beyond. (We booked at the last minute, so were fortunate to be able to book at all). Staff were always cheerful and friendly and efficient. Breakfast was excellent. The view from the conservatory restaurant across Cardigan Bay is magnificent. Hotel spotlessly clean. The top floor is 35 stairs up and no lift, so might not suit very elderly legs - but no problem, just ask for a room on lower floor. The town of Barmouth is walk of over ½ mile down the hill, and a matching climb up.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay very much.

Room Tip: Room with a sea view far preferable. Avoid top floor if elderly legs.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lester Z
SteveJ2586, Manager at Ty'r Graig Castle, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Hello Lester Z;

I'm so pleased to see that you appreciated the welcome; we do try and make people feel "at home" in our lovely house, and impart some of it's history and architecture. The hillside view rooms offer some advantages over the sea-view, notably being bigger and with larger bathrooms. Whilst you can see the newer hoses built opposite, they do have a wonderful view of the natural beauty of the wooded hills above Barmouth.

I'm also pleased to note that you appreciated the service from our friendly staff, and also the cleanliness, both of which are things we take great pride in. Hopefully we'll be able to welcome you back at some time in the future and you can explore more of our beautiful National Park.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

The Gentleman on front desk was very rude for the duration of our stay, as soon as we walked into the entrance hall way we saw cobwebs, we will NOT be returning to that place ever again !! The location was ok as it over looks the sea but there are other hotels that do the same in the area

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank sean t
SteveJ2586, Manager at Ty'r Graig Castle, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Hello Mr Turley,

The “duration of your stay” was approximately 20-25 minutes and didn’t go beyond the main reception area. The reason we could not complete your check-in was because you had made a booking via a third party (booking.com) for two people and actually arrived with a third, your infant son. Clearly, you failed to notice at the time of booking your 1 night stay that we do not take children under 12, that cots cannot be provided, and the rooms cannot take extra beds. These are clearly stated on the booking.com reservation page as well as our website. Unfortunately, my attempt to sympathetically explain the error you made was repeatedly greeted by verbal abuse from you and your wife. My biggest regret was that another guest had to be subjected to witnessing your bad conduct in our premises.

However, far from being rude, and despite the problem being of your origination, I immediately contacted booking.com and successfully endeavoured to find you alternative suitable accommodation. This was to our cost.

Our strengths, as can be seen in previous reviews, particularly include our warmth and friendliness and we would not do anything to jeopardise that reputation. It is therefore plain to see that the main reason for your ‘review’ is to punish and tarnish us for what is, unbelievably, your mistake. This, we find difficult to understand.

Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Really impressed by cleanliness and such a comfortable bed I wanted to take the mattress home. Lay on the bed and all I could see was sea and sky so restful. Service at breakfast was both friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank fionnualag
SteveJ2586, Manager at Ty'r Graig Castle, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

Hello fionnualag

It is SO gratifying to hear that someone appreciates the amount of work that goes into keeping the Castle clean, especially with the amount of polished woodwork we have in the reception area alone!

We have many compliments about the mattresses inducing relaxing sleep, aided by the stunning views, and this means that guests arrive down for breakfast in a wonderfully refreshed mood, ready to enjoy a filling plateful!

Hopefully you'll be back to re-charge your batteries before too long, and we look forward to welcoming you once again.

Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

On arrival at the hotel we were welcomed by the owner who was lovely . She told us a little history of the beautiful old building and showed us the lounge and dining rooms where the view was impeccable . She then proceeded to show us to our turret room which was beautifully decorated with views to die for . The room was a little small but exceptionally comfortably . My partner is a light sleeper and slept soundly all night .
Breakfast was excellent again with fantastic views over the sea . Much more than we expected .
For a one night stay we did think a little overpriced but this would not stop us from staying here again . We would highly recommend it to our friends and family and look forward to another visit in the future

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Sarahnu

Hello Sarahnu

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay. We love telling people a little of the history of the house, as it is so romantic and colourful. The views are, as you say, stunning, and hopefully compensate for the rooms not being the biggest in the industry. When converting a century old house to guest accommodation, it is never easy to fit everything in to the available space, but hopefully this has been done sympathetically. As a light sleeper myself, I can confirm that the quality of the double glazing is excellent!

I was sorry to see you felt it a little overpriced; despite being a small establishment, we try to keep rates as low as possible, and are actually comparable with the larger hotels in the town, which do not have our magnificent views and historical character. Hopefully, as you say, this won't put you off returning, and we thank you for recommending us to your family and friends.

With thanks again

Steve

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I rung up the Deputy Manager Steve for a room on Valentines day In the Premium Turret for a couple of nights, He was very polite, helpful and lovely to talk to. My partner and I was very excited when we arrived, the hotel looked much more beautiful than It did In the photos. We walked Into the reception room and was met by the owner of the building. He too was very polite. We were shown around the building and were told about the Castles history and then were showed to our rooms. The room was absolutely amazing with the most stunning views of the sea. We really enjoyed our break away and decided to come again for my partners Birthday. We ended up staying In the Standard Turret for 3 nights. We arrived at the hotel a little early and had a lovely conversation with Steve while they were very kindly sorting our room out for us. The room was a perfect size, the bed was extremely comfy and the views were breath taking. We had a three course lunch on my partners Birthday and The two waiters, who I unfortunately couldn't get the names of, were very professional, friendly, and always had smiles on their faces. We were shown to our table and ordered our food. I had a soup for starter, Lamb for main and Ice cream for Dessert and my partner had smoked salmon for starter, Steak for Main and Strawberries for Dessert. The food was so beautiful I completely fell In love with the Lamb which ended up In me having It three times In total during our stay. We also had a lovely conversation with the Chef while we was eating our meal. Due to the entire staff making our stay perfect we decided to stay for another night. I would definatley come a Third time and probably more after that. I would 100% recommend this place as It was In a lovely location, the room was very clean and beautifuly presented, The food was of fine quality and the staff were so friendly and I enjoyed being around every single one of them. The hotel Is a 10 out of 10 from me.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Terrie C

Hi Terrie,

Well, what can I say about your review! It's always a pleasure to know that a guest has had a good time, and I knew from talking with you and your partner while you were here that this was certainly the situation in your case, especially as this was your second visit this year!

Your infectious enthusiasm means that you come intending to enjoy yourself, and from your overall reaction, we know this happened once again, when you were clearly captivated by the magical charm of our lovely building and the beautiful area in which we are situated. It was also a pleasure to see you obviously enjoy the terrific food which Simon prepares.

We do have a "family" of regular guests, and it sounds as if we will soon be adding you to that group! We hope it won't be too long before we welcome you and your lovely laugh back to the Castle!

Thanks again for your kind words.

Steve