We stayed in a turret room. The hotel is situated about a 10 minute walk from Barmouth town centre. It's set back from the main road to Harlech, and has ample free parking. We were greeted by the hotel manager, Steve, who was very welcoming and showed us up to our room. The hotel is full of character and the reception includes a lovely stove, wood-panelled walls, original tiled floors, and stained-glass windows. From the reception we had fairly high expectations for our room, but were left a little disappointed. The room was quite small with a mish-mash of pine furniture. As expected from a turret room it was circular in shape and had several windows with great views over the town. The bathroom was unbearably small - my chin was resting on the sink when sat on the toilet, my husband had to come out of the bathroom in order to get dressed after a shower, and bending over the sink to brush my teeth caused the door to open. To cap it all the electric shredding toilet sounded very much like the opening riff to T Rex's 20th Century Boy (I know, it couldn't have been, as the band wouldn't have managed to fit in the bathroom!!).
We had a nice evening meal in the hotel, and the staff in the dining room were very attentive. The breakfast was fine - the full english as a bit 'wet', but the kippers were very tasty, and plenty of them. Overall the Ty'r Graig Castle just about makes its 4 star guest accommodation rating (it's not classified as a 4 star hotel, although I think the owners may have pretensions!), but we didn't really have a comfortable stay and would not be tempted to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A landmark Victorian castle-hotel situated on the edge of Snowdonia National Park, overlooking Cardigan Bay. Approx. 1/2 mile out of Barmouth. An excellent base for anyone wishing to explore the surrounding areas. Recently described by a guest as 'an oasis of calm' it sits proudly between the mountains and the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Ty'r Graig Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ty`r Graig Castle Hotel Barmouth
- Ty'r Graig Castle Barmouth, Wales