“Welcoming with a great view”

Bryn Melyn Guest House
Ranked #2 of 24 Barmouth B&B and Inns
Knutsford, United Kingdom
“Welcoming with a great view”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

A warm welcome and friendly atmosphere. Great views across the bay and a good location to base yourself for a visit to the mid Wales coast.
The room we had was very clean and the bed very comfy.
It's a lovey quiet spot and the owner takes speacial care to attract birds to the garden outside the breakfast room (plus some of the fattest squirrels we have ever seen, which I don't think he is quite so keen on)
Our dog was very welcome and enjoyed his breakfast sausages.
One warning. Nervous drivers may find the approach a bit scary, as it is up a steep, and narrow in places, hill, where you need to drive pass Bryn Melyn and then turn around to access the car park.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view, if you don't have a dog with you, go for the top floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lug-hedge
brynmelyndavid, Owner at Bryn Melyn Guest House, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and especially pleased your dog enjoyed his sausages, (mind you it's a fussy dog that doesn't enjoy our local butchers' sausages!).
In view of several comments such as yours about the access to our car park it appears that many guests have not realised that they could turn their car round 100 metres beyond our entrance and thus avoid a multiple-point turn into it. We have this winter therefore commissioned an additional sign that is now mounted at the entrance to our car park and directs arriving guests to a turning point 100 metres up the road. Hopefully this will assist both nervous and more experienced drivers to access our property more easily.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed for one night here in April. The owners are very warm people and gave me a my friend a great welcome, we were made to feel at home. The rooms are of an excellent quality, very comfortable. The downstairs lounge/bar is well stocked with interesting books and local information about Barmouth and the surrounding areas. The owners David and Heather are chatty and knowledgeable about good places to visit. The view from our upstairs room towards the Barmouth bridge was beautiful. Sadly cant comment on the food as there was a power cut across the town, so we only had bread and jam etc. Likely to return in the future for a longer stay, such a lovely location, the only downside I would say is the steep walk up the road if you are travelling on foot!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
brynmelyndavid, Owner at Bryn Melyn Guest House, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, even though it was brief.
We are very sorry you could not enjoy our normal service at breakfast time but the whole area was hit with a major power cut shortly after 8am. Despite the fact that we cook with gas modern health and safety requirements require our gas range to be controlled by an electric interlock device which means in the event of a power cut it automatically disconnects the gas supply as well! We did the best we could with a cold breakfast buffet but it is a shame you could not enjoy our full cooked Welsh breakfast. Hopefully we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back at a future date so can see what you missed!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Bryn Melyn Guest House is a really nice place to stay. My husband and I and our dog Poppy stayed for one night in October and were very impressed by the high standard of accommodation. We stayed in room 3 which has a fabulous view. The room was nice, the en-suite shower room was so clean it looked as if it had never been used before. There were nice little touches like bottles of water, toiletries in the bathroom and even a little shower cap which was a blessing as I forgot to bring one. The owners Heather and David are really friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great, there was a great selection of fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, full cooked breakfast. Bryn Melyn is high up and the view from the dining room is amazing. There is a beautiful view with lots of trees and the birds sitting on the wall eating seed that had been put out for then was so nice, I could have stayed there all day just watching them. As our dog Poppy was not allowed in the dining room, David had a little foil package containing 3 sausages for her breakfast waiting in reception for her when we checked out. The beach is nice and very sandy, you can walk a long way. There is a nice pub in the town called the Last Inn which is very cosy. The walk back from the town is up a very very steep hill and is not for the faint hearted. I would thoroughly reccommend this guest house. Oh, and dogs are limited to only a few guest rooms to avoid allergy problems.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
brynmelyndavid, Owner at Bryn Melyn Guest House, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
I am always nervous when I see a reviewer name such as 'very fussy person" but am delighted to find that we met your standards and that you enjoyed your stay with us so much! I am especially pleased you appreciated the little extras in your room as we have spent a lot of time over the three years we have been here considering what would be appropriate to place there and sourcing decent quality items. It was also a pleasure to welcome Poppy, who was truly delightful. So long as the owners give their blessing I always put an extra couple of sausages in the oven in a morning so that any dog staying with us can enjoy a treat after breakfast. We do have to limit the number of rooms we let dogs into, partly so we can always claim quite honestly that a room has never had a dog in it for those with allergies, but also so that those with dogs have plenty of floor space for their baskets or blankets. Dogs are therefore welcome in Rooms 7 and 3, (doubles), and Room 5, (twin)., all on the first floor. The Last Inn, as you mention, is also very dog-friendly and will allow you to eat with your dog in the bar.
We hope that we will have the pleasure of seeing you both again, (and Poppy), very soon.
London, England
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Barmouth is a strange old place. One end of the town has clearly seen better days, and the sign for the 'Harbour Lites disco and light show' in the Last Inn brought back memories of hazy nights out as a 16 year old. It's rather stuck in a timewarp, and the pubs and restaurants really do leave a lot to be desired. Lucky I hadn't come for the pubs and restaurants, I'd come for the views, the peace, and a bit of cycling.

As most of the other reviewers have said, this is an away from it all place, with fantastic views of the estuary from most of the rooms - from mine at least - which earnt an extra mark our of 5 on its own. Waking up, whatever the weather, and opening the curtains to the viaduct and views across to Cader Idris, is far better than my view of E17 from my London flat. It's the perfect location for the start of the Mawddach Trail, which is less than 5 minutes away, so you can be off the beaten track pretty quickly, without having to drive anywhere.

The owners are friendly, helpful, and do their best to make sure you have a good stay, and as I was travelling on my own that was much appreciated. David's train tips will live long in my memory (!), and he was very helpful with my plans for 20+ mile long bike rides into the wilds of Wales.

I was the youngest person staying by about 20 years I reckon, so this place is clearly marketed at the older person, many of whom like to dine in of an evening, and Bryn Melyn have cornered that market rather well. Boutique this most certainly isn't, and it doesn't claim to be - the decor is somewhat dated (if it doesn't move, wallpaper it, and plenty of pine everywhere), although everything was spotless, the bed comfortable and my room a decent size.

The breakfasts were good, but not fantastic - ubiqitous tinned fruit salad, selection of cereals, full welsh and eggs and salmon - although the addition of haloumi with the veggie breakfast was a nice touch, and one not seen too often.

On the downside, it's always a shame to see prepacked food everywhere in a B&B - from the instant coffee, biscuits in packs of 2 and UHT milk cartons in the rooms (why not fresh milk?), to miniature jams at breakfast; the B&Bs where I've really been impressed go the extra mile by looking at the little things, rather than just ticking the boxes.

Panorama Road is an apt address for a lovely little spot, and I certainly got the R&R I needed here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your stay here. I'm delighted you had such a relaxing and restful stay and it was a pleasure to help you get the most of your few days. I'm sorry you didn't think so much of Barmouth. I used to feel the same as you until I moved to live here but now I find it totally charming. There is a certain sense of it not having moved on with the times but for many people that is precisely why it still appeals. There are also some very good places to eat within a short distance but the very best of them require a car to access and I know you came by train so they were not possible for you on this occasion.
Just to address a few of the points you made...
You have perhaps misjudged our demographic. The week you chose to visit was indeed heavily weighted towards older, retired couples - it was the second week of September and we are often busy that week with guests who wait till the schools have gone back. If you had stayed with us a week later, (or indeed this weekend as I write this), you would be have been one of the older guests in the house! We have found our demographic to be very widely spread, and very variable across the year, with all ages enjoying their stay here. In particular we have seen a lot of younger visitors keen to enjoy the world-class mountain biking and hiking that this area can offer.
It is ironic that you comment on the wallpaper in your room because this winter will see the completion of our room refurbishment programme which has seen the wallpaper removed in every guest room in favour of plain walls, a few carefully selected pictures or artworks, and the majority of the attention being focussed on the windows and the views outside. Your room was one of only two left to be redecorated in this way and will be completed this winter.
As far as the 'little details' are concerned we place UHT milk in the rooms for the simple reason that it doesn't go off, however we are always happy to provide fresh milk to any guest who requests it. Likewise we use the packages of biscuits because it keeps them fresh until the guest wants them, and instant coffee because it is easy for guests to use. However any guest is welcome to order a pot of freshly brewed filter coffee at any time during bar opening hours.

Likewise at breakfast. I will not put open pots of jam on a table for health reasons, (open pots invite flies, etc). We therefore decided that individual glass jars of a named, good-quality branded jam and marmalade would be the best option. We offer a choice of two jams and orange marmalade plus, on the buffet table, Marmite for those who love that sort of thing and locally made honey. The tinned fruits are again for practical reasons. There is less wastage with tinned products, which is environmentally more conscionable, and we offer 4 different varieties, plus there is always a bowl of fresh fruit available for those who prefer the 'real thing'. Together with the selection of cereals and local yoghurts there is usually plenty to satisfy most tastes.
We have arrived at our breakfast selection, much as we have our room compliments, as a result of much thought, discussion and experimentation, with the sole intention of offering our guests as wide a choice of consistent quality as possible. Please be assured we do nothing simply to tick a box, but only because we have concluded it is, for the time being, the best option available to us.
We listen to everything our guests say and your comments are appreciated, and as always form part of our ongoing assessment of what we offer at Bryn Melyn.
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in room 7 for a 3 night stay to celebrate a birthday. I appreciated the thoughtfulness and attention to detail that the owners had put into making a stay at Bryn melyn a real treat. .Our room was tastefully decorated and very clean. The view of the estuary was breath-taking. Breakfast was excellent and the staff who served them were attentive and friendly. There is a choice of places to sit and relax. The terrace has beautiful views, birds and squirrels to watch and very comfy garden chairs. The lounge is pleasant and the selection of books, maps and board games was impressive. The weather was sunny during our stay but you could enjoy a stay here in bad weather as well. Unlike a lot of hotels the biscuits etc in your rooms are replaced every day and not just on the first day. The selection of teas in the rooms included mint tea and chamomile. David was helpful, knowledgable about the area but never intrusive. We are regular visitors to this beautiful part of the world so we will be back.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
One of the great pleasures of this occupation is sharing celebrations with people. We have been privileged to host engagements, honeymoons, anniversaries and, of course, many birthdays, but it never ceases to be a joy. I am delighted you enjoyed your birthday here and that you were able to take advantage of the peace and quiet that surrounds us. In this year of unseasonal weather you were lucky to enjoy the sunshine, but we have become quite good at finding activities for less clement conditions.
We very much look forward to seeing you again sometime, and we'll hope for more good weather. Don't feel you have to wait for another birthday though!
Kent, England
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed here across the end of august bank Holiday and enjoyed our stay. Rooms are nicely decorated (as is the whole hotel), the couple that own the place are friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good and the general atmosphere is laid back and nice.

Only small gripes: If you're used to a king size bed, the normal doubles seem a tad small, the showers whilst nice (ish), the water pressure is low.

The views of the estuary are lovely and if you have a nice evening, it's great to sit on the terrace and look out. I've done a short video of the place here for anyone thinking of going: https://vimeo.com/48358427

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and especially for the video you posted. It;s nice to see the house from a guest's perspective and I love the stop-motion film of the estuary in the evening. I am pleased you enjoyed the atmosphere we have created here and appreciated the work we have done in up-grading and redecorating the place, (although we still have work to do in that regard).

We have considered the issue of king size versus double beds, as we are very aware of the advantages, however we have reluctantly decided that the compromise in the room size and space would be greater than the benefits as most people are happy to take a double for a few nights but appreciate the space in the rooms. Your room was on the first floor and the shower pressure is good on that level. I wonder whether you stopped at the 'eco' setting that most of our showers have, (designed to save water), which does restrict the flow? Usually by pushing the button in and turning beyond that point the water flow is greatly increased. That may have been to blame.

Hopefully if you return for another visit we can check the shower function is clear and you can enjoy the soft Welsh water properly.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012

As other reviews have noted, the guest house is on the edge of Barmouth a 10 to 15 minute walk up a steep hill from the town centre. The hill means that there are excellent views of the estuary (particularly from the room I had on the top floor), but is otherwise slightly inconvenient. My room was a fair size for a double and very clean, as was the ensuite bathroom. The cooked breakfast (egg, bacon, sausage etc) was good. The main weakness in my room was the water pressure for the shower. The owner clearly knows this as it was mentioned when we were shown the room. Ideally they would install an electric pump driven shower. The shower in the shared first floor bathroom is much better.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank djr37
brynmelyndavid, Owner at Bryn Melyn Guest House, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the views from your room however I am sorry you found our situation inconvenient. We are fortunate in that we are almost the only guest house/B&B/hotel in Barmouth that is not situated on a busy road but that does mean guests face a 10 minute walk back from the harbour. Luckily the vast majority seem to feel it is a small price to pay for the peace and tranquillity of our location.
Thank you too for your comments about our top floor showers. We do appreciate all feedback from our guests and it does help shape our decisions when planning future refurbishments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barmouth
Ty'r Graig Castle
#11 of 24 in Barmouth
The Tilman
The Tilman
#8 of 24 in Barmouth

Been to Bryn Melyn Guest House? Share your experiences!