“Wonderful”

Tony's Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 51 Restaurants in Barmouth
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Willenhall, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

We came here last year and loved it so made it the venue of choice for my birthday this year.
I wasn't disappointed.
Food was gorgeous, atmosphere great and service above and beyond. This is what we have come to expect thought to be honest.
What I didn't expect was a birthday serenade from Tony on the violin!! The whole restaurant joined in the singing and I nearly died ........ But it was marvellous :)
We shall see you again Tony and co next time we come to Barmouth :)

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Italian - my foot!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Not surprisingly we got the "posh table" as well - and it was exactly as described in previous reviews! And I wouldn't describe the cuisine as Italian - more like "industrial Welsh". Sauce with the bistecca pizzaiolla was described as "Garlic, Basil, Red Wine & Tomatoes" - couldn't taste anything other than tomatoes. And the vegetables were something else! New potatoes, peas, ratatoullie, what appeared to be rice & beans and deep fried cauliflower florets .
A lady at an adjacent table ordered the spaghetti bolognaise - it looked very brown and she left most of it. No surprise there!
We regularly eat out at our local Italian restaurant and it is only a simple cafe style but it is far superior to this place. Tony's is too expensive as well for what its is. Best advice would be - don't bother!
* Staff were excellent but seem to know that what they were serving was a complete con. *

“Sadly Lacking”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

I popped in with my 4 year old son who is a pasta monster. He had a tuna pasta. It had plenty of tuna and peas but the pasta was overcooked and just felt like the frozen peas and a tin of tuna had been mixed together without any thought of presentation or taste. It was early evening when we called so I wanted something light. As they had a dedicated pizza oven I thought I would try one. The choice was terribly lacking and I just went for a Cheese and Mushroom. When it came it was more like cheese on toast and must have been a Iceland basic.
OK the place has been going for 27 years but don't tell me that the chef has ever heard of Italy or ever seen how a pizza should be made. Tony would be better changing from Iceland to the Coop, at least their pizzas are somewhat more authentic. Can't understand if anyone has been to a real Italian restaurant they would rate this. I understand the other comments made but this place has no other competition and the nearby pub is a far better option.

5 Thank Neil E
Stafford, United Kingdom
“OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

Pizza (first night) was OK - a little overpriced for what it was - frozen chips!
Restaurant (second night) - overpriced and over spiced tomato sauce (the wife's pasta) - overpriced and very average Lasagne (my choice) - service was good - the place was clean - the portion size was OK - as there is little choice and/or options in the area to boost competition - I am sure that this place will survive as a very average and overpriced bistro/Pizza hut

Chester, United Kingdom
“good food and what an owner!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

after owning this restaurant for 30+ years to still have such enthusiasm and pride is truly amazing and it makes the place a reat night out.veryfriendly and efficient staff pleasant atmosphere very busy and popular.food was nice enselata di mare ,duck and chicken in sauce with prawns all good with nice fresh vegetables.bottle of gavi went down a treat.book to be sure people were unable to be fed but it was a saturday.