“Great steak”

Tony's Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 51 Restaurants in Barmouth
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Alcester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great steak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

Visited Tony's for the 3rd time, and again was not disappointed.
Hadn't booked, restaurant was very busy but we were accommodated.
Great steak, cooked as requested, plenty of food, you never leave hungry. Took some friends along who stated " best gammon served in a long time".
Good customer service and exceptional house red
Some aspects of the restaurant people may find dated, I think it adds to the charm, along with Tony's stories a great evening all round.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Mo P

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Poor! Over priced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

Below average food and over priced. Decor is dated and in need of a face lift. The Menu is plastic and tables and chairs are wobbly. My steak was over cooked and swimming in a very creamy peppercorn sauce. We Wont be returning. We have tried Tonys a few times and have been left disappointed every time. Service is ok ish although the waiter had a bad case of body odour. There are nicer placer to eat at a fraction of the cost.

Machynlleth, United Kingdom
“"Quality Food for Quality People"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

I think we all enjoyed our authentic Italian meals, with good quality food. The waiter and waitress were very pleasant too. A nice atmosphere with some unusual decorations. Will eat here again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Always a good night at Tonys!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

We usually visit the area at Easter and we eat at Tony's.

Over a period of 25 years the food has been of a consistent high quality, the cutlery and table very clean and comfortable, the staff efficient well presented and friendly all under the personal supervision of Tony.

We have always had a fantastic evening at Tony's and would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to anyone.

John and Denise.

2 Thank John S
Darlington
“You so WANT to like it...but you just can't...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Tony's gives itself some impressive hype - there are signs to the restaurant as soon as you enter the village from either direction and it proudly declare that Tony has been an icon of the village for 29 years - "If he's been there that long it can't be bad surely?"...I naively said to my husband. Hmmm well I have to say it is pretty poor and did nothing to enhance our enjoyment of welsh executed cuisine!!!
To be perfectly blunt the food is tasteless, overcooked, under seasoned and pretty much unimpressive. Given that the reviews on TA are mixed and that it is one of only two walkable restaurants in the area I so wanted to like Tony's. I conjured up an impression of an eccentric owner but with good (at least) food. NOPE!! The first time we tried to book they were full (how???? I believe some local tatste buds need educating ...or as hubby put it - perhaps he just has a good supply of "fresh meat" (i.e. new tourists) who don't know what they're letting themselves in for!!
Tony himself is pretty rude I must say - we witnessed one set of diners arriving for dinner to be met with a blank look....are you sure you booked Tony asked - the lady assured him she had because he made a comment about the date - oh no - you're in tomorrow he said...huffed a bit then said never mind he could fit them in. He summoned the waiters to out two tables together and as the party moved towards them he snapped "no - wait there - I am not finished". Wholly unprofessional and the tone was very rude but I still soldiered on and convinced hubby to accompany me to dinner there. I should have listened. I started with the seafood salad - it was a perfectly acceptable marinated squid/octopus concoction BUT it was served freezing cold just from the fridge swimming in the oily marinating juices on salad leaves that gave up the ghost and simply drowned into wilted nothingness - no bread no nothing to accompany to try and give purpose to the sea of oily liquid....oh dear.
Main courses were no better - hubby's Tuna Steak was covered in tinned tomatoes with no additions or flair (where the promised anchovies and olives had disappeared to I do not know!!) the tuna as well had been cooked to within a inch of its life and was as tasty as a block of leather. My mushroom pasta was vying for the most tasteless spot though too, even the pasta was overcooked with no hint of flavour. There was no attempt at seasoning and no sauce worth its salt either. A derisory sprinkling of parmesan couldn't help.
We scarpered - couldn't get out of there quick enough, although I though my husband was going to explode when he was asked to pay £60-odd for the privilege!!
I so wanted to like Tony's - who doesn't like a great Italian with warmth, good food and general bonhomie ??? Unfortunately Tony's doesn't hit even one of those spots - not somewhere i could recommend

3 Thank The_Braves