“Comfortable stay, lovely views”
Review of Bae Abermaw

Bae Abermaw
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Barmouth
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Arrived at approximately an hour after check in. Receptionist was very friendly and apologetic that the room was not ready due to short staffing so we took some drinks outside to wait and sat in their nice garden overlooking the bay. The short staffing also affected breakfast slightly, most probably due to guests coming down at the same time

Bar staffing issues, we had a room at the top floor which was lovely white decor and spacious, clean and a great view of Barmouth estuary. Private car park and friendly service.

Room Tip: Top floor with sea view recommended
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine B

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Warmly welcomed to my two night stay by Ashley and he kindly carried my luggage to my room - very roomy with two large windows and an amazing view of the coast - an upgrade from the room I had booked, thank you. Room very basically furnished, but effectively so. Beautifully clean but some unusual marks on the carpet all around the edge and at the bottom of the bed, these were a little off putting but I don't think it was dirt.
Ashley Informed me that due to unforeseen circumstances the Restaurant was closed which was a shame because as I was travelling alone my intention had been to eat at the Hotel. The bathroom was spacious, the shower very good - much appreciated after a warm journey.
The bed was OK but the pillows for me were too lumpy and felt to me to be of poor quality, along with the pillow protectors and pillow cases (first time I have ever seen pillowcases without envelope ends). Slept well a little noise from the room upstairs but that is inevitable in an old building with creaky floorboards and no soundproofing but that to me adds to the charm. After having enjoyed a run and my third shower since my arrival I felt quite justified leaving my towels to be replaced with clean ones.
I was certainly looking forward to my breakfast and one of the reasons I had chosen this Hotel was because the website breakfast menu advertised fresh fruit. My most enjoyable breakfast is fresh fruit, hot buttered toast and Earl Grey Tea - alas it was not to be!! The communal platter of fresh fruit consisted of six chunks of melon (the equivalent of a small honeydew Melon wedge) 4 Blackberries, a small bunch of black and green grapes and Strawberries. I was greedy ????? and had all the melon, blackberries and grapes!!!! I asked the waiter for half a melon felt - entitled since I wasn't going to have any cooked food - sadly it was not to be as all the melon had gone. I asked for any other fruit available apart from Strawberries (grow these at home) and was told he could probably find me some raspberries which he kindly did all seven of them!!!! The thick buttered toast was delicious all three quarters of a slice of it, that was when the butter ran out - alas according to the waiter, there was no more butter in the building only a supposedly healthy spread alternative!
Breakfast was not the best meal of the day!!!!!!!!!!
Meeting Ashley as I left the Breakfast room He asked if all was well - so I told him along with the lady who was also behind the reception desk my breakfast experience. They were surprised by the fact that there was no butter and the reasoning for the lack of fruit was they were reliant on what there supplier had, my thoughts are that if your supplier can't provide fruit as basic as apples ,pears, bananas and melon then it's time to change your supplier. I don't suppose the supplier would be overly impressed if he knew he was being blamed for the Hotels short comings.
Sadly when I went to shower that evening after returning from having to find somewhere to eat as the Restaurant was again closed due to unforeseen circumstances. I was distressed to find the towels I had wanted replaced had been refolded and replaced on the towel rails - they were still damp!!!!!!!!! I thought I had placed them in the bath as was requested by the notice on the Bathroom wall - if not I had piled them on the Bathroom floor I know I had definitely not put them back on the rails as they were so damp and grubby. I went downstairs to try and get them replaced but no one was around. I hate damp towels and I had to use them that evening and the following morning Yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Breakfast redeemed itself the next day loads of fruit Kiwi, Blackberries, Melon, Raspberries and loads of butter - delicious - thank you.
The Hotel served it's purpose to an extent but in my opinion could have done better. Other people complained and moaned to me but on reading comments when I was leaving they appeared to have forgotten them.
Thank you for the good bits and hope my comments have been constructive on the other issues.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank BENTHALL
BaeAbermawBarmouth, Manager at Bae Abermaw, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thank you for your comments, we are always happy to receive feedback as this helps us to maintain our service and improve where necessary.. We can only apologise for running out of your favourite fruit during one of your breakfasts. We have spoken to housekeeping about your towels. They should of course have been replaced not hung up. If any guest has a problem with anyof the supplies in their room, they need only to speak to the receptionist to have it attended to.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Have just spent a couple of comfortable nights at this lovely hotel. The staff were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. The room was spacious and clean as was the en suite. ..As stated by other visitors the sea views cannot be bettered and it is definitely worth having a room with a sea view. Unfortunately the restaurant was not open for the two nights we stayed (which I would think is unusual in high season) but we knew about this beforehand and were able to make other arrangements. I would definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: Room no 2 has a sea view and a bay window which you can sit in to admire it
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We can recommend with confidence this lovely Hotel with its glorious views of the mountains and sea Bea Abermaw Hotel stands in its own grounds on a hill side, a great location not to far away from the busy town centre, the nearest pub is about 5min walk down the hill I have to admit that it took us 6min, -but it took us 12min to walk back; good exercise for us, we also enjoyed the lovely beer gardens/terrace in the Hotel grounds a sure place to just chill out, as the sun was shining what a bonus

We paid the extra for a sea view room on the front of the Hotel it was so worth it, our room was very spacious with spotless clean white duvet on a king size bed a very comfortable bed I may add , the bathroom was quite large with bath and shower clean and perfect

And lucky for us the dining room also had beautiful sea views and even better a good chief breakfast was very tasty with a good selection on the buffet table followed by a full English (thank you chief)

Thank you Ash and the team everyone was so helpful , our little tip would be to ask the lady on reception about the panorama walk at the very top of the road behind the Hotel its just to good to miss, well that's if you enjoy walking that is,,,,,,,,,,,we really look forward to our next visit as our five day brake just wasn't long enough

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kp h
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Simply, great staff - lovely atmosphere - character hotel, very clean, great "family room" - we had 2 adults 3 kids and enough room for everyone. Hearty breakfast - great views. Only thing i could say (and it's a constructive point is - this place has lovely grounds/gardens and more should be made of them - this would finsish the place off to be A1 !! But fab, stay, kids loved it - which made it all the better for us with Free Wi Fi in the lounge areas. Good luck - we will be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jasethetravelagent
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights at the end of May. Room was lovely - good view, very comfortable bed and large bathroom. Had dinner there the first evening, the meal was superb. The breakfast was also good but we had to ask for napkins and did not have side plates. Seemed strange to us but maybe that is the norm in Wales.
We were asked after breakfast if we would be eating there that evening. As the menu was very limited and did not change daily we said that we were unsure at that time. I was somewhat surprised when my mobile rang in the afternoon to find it was the hotel asking if we had decided whether to eat or not as the chef wanted to know about prepping food.
They had not been open long and were trying hard so I hope that customers have picked up for them.
We would certainly return if in that area again

Room Tip: Have a sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Ash was very helpful upon our arrival as were all the staff.
Rooms were clean and comfortable and the breakfast really tasty! Plenty of room in the car park and splendid vue from the majority of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barmouth
Ty'r Graig Castle
#3 of 24 in Barmouth
Morwendon House
Morwendon House
#1 of 4 in Llanaber

Been to Bae Abermaw? Share your experiences!