All reviews high street listed building full english basement room queen studio shower gel yogurt hand soap separate entrance lounge area english breakfast lots of character excellent location perfect position staff were welcoming window seat a lovely stay
Reviewed July 10, 2018

We booked after reading decent reviews thinking it would be cheap and cheerful and hopefully clean . How wrong . We were staying in the basement suite and as soon as the owner opened the door the smell of damp and must hit us . From there it just got worse . I don't think the place has ever been cleaned as there was filth and cobwebs that had clearly been there for some time . the carpet in the lounge area was covered in heavy stains and the walls were patched up and covered in marks . the sofa was damp and musty . in the little kitchen area there was milk and lemonade out on the counter left open obviously from previous guests . The bedroom was horrible and like being in a cave . The bed was so old and tatty with a large spring poking out through the fabric . The matress was so over used and uncomfortable . Dust , cobwebs and spiders in corners . The divan bed had an old wooden headboard standing loosely behind it in a bid to cover a big draughty open chimeney behind the bed which was awful. The curtains in the bedroom were threadbare and hanging off . The bathroom had a horrible smell and again cobwebs , stains and general dirt including thick yellow stains running down the radiators .The only positive was that the bed linen was spotlessly clean, white and smelt freshly washed and the matress was clean . The toilet was dirty being full of human hair and filth around the back of the seat . The plumbing was horrific and the noise it made everytime the toilet was flushed was a joke . I spent a good hour cleaning . We didn't eat the breakfast as we decided based on the room cleanliness we didn't want to risk eating there .However we did find cooked sausages outside our door on the floor ,which I presume had been thrown from the kitchen to the several cats that live at the property ! We were unable to go anywhere else as we had taken our dog and there was nowhere else to book into at such short notice and we didn't want to lose out on the entire weekend and go home after a 3 hour drive to get there so we decided to try and enjoy our weekend away and just make the best of it . I spoke to the owner about the state of the place in detail and she seemed uninterested and just said obviously it was damp because it was the basement !!. No real apology or offer of a refund . I can't speak for the rest of the place but this basement suite should not be rented out to anyone and I find it disgusting she is charging such a higt rate for it . I have included pictures in this review to show the extent of the issues . Just because people have a dog does not mean they are happy to stay in sub standard accommodation or have low standards and yet this is exactly what I feel the owner is conveying by letting out this accommodation . If I could have left zero stars I would have !!

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2018 via mobile

We booked this B&B after a friend recommended it to us.
We were in room one which was the room in the basement, we had our own entrance to our room which was very handy with two dogs.
The owner was very kind, welcoming and helpful during our stay.
I would recommend getting this room if you have dogs as we were able to open our door straight onto the secure garden area.
Only downfall is that the room could do with being redecorated. There were parts of the wall that had been damaged and covered up by small amount of paint which was noticeable or picture hanging in random places.
However room was clean and serviced daily.
Location is great, right in the centre and only a few minutes away from the beach.
The thing I thought would have been helpful was a welcome pack and recommendations of where to eat, what to do etc.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank CoupleWhoTravels17
Reviewed May 29, 2018 via mobile

We had room 6 with 2 bedrooms, bathroom and seating area with TV. It was on the top floor with outstanding sea views and of the Main Street. It had lots of period character. Claudia was really helpful and friendly. The breakfast was gorgeous and really well presented. The beds were comfortable and it was extremely clean. Nothing bad to say about it and I will definitely be booking to come back again. Thank you Claudia.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank tammygK8332QI
Reviewed May 16, 2018 via mobile

Recently stayed the night at the Aber House as my sister and I took our mom back to Barmouth after 45 years. The georgian building was interesting and in a very good location in centre. Staff were welcoming and helpful. However building was in need of an update.
Our 2 room suite was on top floor with good views but my bed was uncomfortable and the picture that had fallen down when put back up after our arrival didn't cover the damp patch and the landlady didn't make any apology for it she seemed more bothered about the picture. Given we booked a while ago there would have been time to decorate. Bathroom was ok but no toiletries provided except for half used shower gel. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Ann B
Reviewed April 29, 2018 via mobile

This was our second stay at Aber House and we absolutely love it. Great location in the town, close to most local attractions and amenities with the added bonus of free off road parking.
We had the basement studio which is fabulous if you're travelling with a dog as it has its own separate entrance. It's very spacious too with a lounge area as well as bedroom and bathroom.
Breakfast was delicious both mornings of our stay. Nice selection of cheese, yoghurt, bread to make your own toast, cereals, juice and spreads. The English breakfasts were cooked to our liking (including our request for poached eggs).
The place is very dog friendly which is a plus for us.
Claudia is a fabulous and friendly host and keen to ensure you have a pleasant stay. We will definitely be back!

Date of stay: April 2018