“A Bit Disappointed !”

Ranked #14 of 23 Barmouth B&B and Inns
Bristol
“A Bit Disappointed !”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Recently spent a weekend at Aber House. On arrival our rooms weren't ready so we said we would have a walk round Barmouth and would return at 2pm. We actually went back at 3pm and the rooms were just about ready. We stayed on the top floor which was a really nice, clean room but the ceiling height on the stairs lead to a few bangs on the head as it was so low. We expected our room to be ensuite as advertised on the internet but when we enquired about this we were told that the price of the rooms reflected that you had to share a bathroom. We were asked what we would like for breakfast the evening before which was a bit strange as you don't always know and at this time we enquired again about ensuite rooms and was told that it is not mentioned that it is a shared bathroom when a booking is made over the phone unless people ask. When never actually got to know the owners names as they didn't introduce themselves. On the last day we vacated our rooms at 9.45am and asked if we could leave our cars parked for a final walk round the town. At first we were told this was fine but before we left, were then told that if our cars were there after 10.30am there would be a charge of £2.00 which we thought was a little annoying bearing in mind that we had already spent a weekend at Aber House. It's a shame as we were really looking forward to our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mikey74752

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
North Wales Great Britain
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for two nights. The hosts were really friendly & helpful. I had the choice of three Beautiful double rooms and chose a bright room with a sea view .... Heavenly to wake up to .... Bed was really comfy ... When I booked I didn't realise the rooms were not en-suite and this would be my only criticism ... However the house is a listed building so there is no way round that .... Luckily I had a toilet next to my room but I will be honest I wasn't happy going to the shower room in a dressing gown ( supplied) and passing strangers on the stairs!! Also a bit off putting when other guests are trying the shower door as you are getting dry!! Not sure I would have booked if I had realised but don't let that deter you as the B&B is lovely. Lots of choice for breakfast which was beautifully cooked. Aber House is in the centre of the town and has the advantage of parking for residents ... Barmouth is a beautiful place with a lovely beach and individual shops .... It's got a lovely little theatre ... It was my first visit to barmouth but it won't be my last visit ...

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Cerys101
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Having never stayed in a B and B before I was a little apprehensive when me and my sweet man decided to find somewhere to spend a couple of nights in Barmouth.

Aber house stood out with its beautiful garden flowers and so we decided to pop in to enquire.... The owners were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

The rooms were lovely and clean and the attention to detail was impressive to say the least. Breakfast was delicious and I'm usually a really fussy person.

Genuinely nice place, lovely people and very close to the beach and town.... What more could you ask for.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Kate-Chris-yo
Wednesbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Me and my wife stayed here for one night recently and was impressed by the location of this guest house as it could not be any more central to the town.The room was very clean and was generous with tea,coffee and towels and the bed was very comfortable.The breakfast was very nice and the couple who run it are very helpfull and friendly too.
Overall it was a nice and relaxing stay and we would recommend Aber house to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lower floors as there is no lift and a lot of stairs
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank David D
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed here for two nights on a bed and breakfast basis.

The house is a grade 2 listed building and the decor inside reflects this in a modern way. We stayed in a room with a four poster bed and the sleep I had was the best sleep for ages including my own bed.

Pete and Linda really make you feel at home.

Pete is also very helpful because when we arrived before he even took our suit cases in for us he sorted out our flat tyre. When we got up the following morning he had already re checked it and said that it seemed o.k. however he did direct us to where we could have it checked.

The breakfast was wide and varied however we had the full English which was cooked as we arrived in the breakfast room.

The only down side of this break was that the bathroom was a shared bathroom however this did not really effect us as the b/b was not full.

This property has its own car park so the added advantage of NO PARKING TICKETS OF FEES.

Would we stay there again yes yes yes.

We were luck we were within walking distance of our grand children and great grand children and the shops.

There is also a flat that can be used for self catering.

I could go on and on but suggest that if you need a short break or are on a touring holiday in North Wales do not take my word for it. Try it and spread the word around.

All I can do is endorse what everyone else has said.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank patprice3
St Albans
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed at Aber House Saturday 6 October on a short tour of North Wales. It is uttlerly delightful! A fabulous old building (grade II listed) which has been fully restored by Pete and Linda to a very high standard. All the rooms are beautifully and stylishly decorated, all different (we asked to see the others that weren't occupied ... nosy like that!!) In fact we were given a choice of which room we wanted - the four poster room or one at the front. While the four poster room was fabulous we liked the view from the room at the front. Aber House is situated right in the town - only one room has a sea view, but the town is so beautiful, set at it is right into the Snowdonia hills. OUr room was elegant and comfy. The only downside to Aber House is the lack of ensuite facilities but as the bathroom was right next door and robes were provided it didn't really matter. YOu really are staying in someone's home here, the owners accommodation is spread throughout the house so they are not secluded away from you, you are guests in their home ... and it is a beautiful home. The breakfast was lovley, well cooked and presented and there was grapefruit to start (I don't have cereal). We loved Aber House and Barmouth is just delightful, a lovley weekend break.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely. The two in the attic have restricted headroom going up the stairs, so if...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gajeckyj
Meliden, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed here with my partner from the 17th August-19th August 2012,we stayed in room 3 with the four poster bed wow what can i say lovely lovely lovely. Peter and Linda were great hosts,couldn't do enough for us. The fact there's a car park helped my decision to stay here, central location didn't have to walk far to pubs,shops and the beach. The breakfast on both mornings was spot on mmmm yummy. I'll be staying here again on my next visit :0)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple