“Not a bad place to eat....”
Review of The Anchor

The Anchor
Ranked #19 of 63 Restaurants in Barmouth
Cuisines: British, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A Restaurant that takes pride in the quality of the food it provides, using locally sourced produce as much as possible, making homemade soups daily along with Malaysian curry and Vegetarian options. Kim has previously run a very successful Bistro/Coffee Shop in the town for 25 years and, along with Mark who has worked in Pub Management they offer you the customer a friendly dining experience.
Reviewed April 12, 2014

A friend and I ate here recently on an overnight stay to Barmouth. We sat inside the restaurant but it took a while for anyone to take our order ( I wouldn't say it was particularly busy with only two tables being used)
We ordered Cod and Chunkey chips with mushy peas and although the food was good, the fish was slightly greasy and in my opinion, overpriced. We did not order alcoholic drinks but they also looked a bit pricey. Having said that, the latte I had was one of hte nicest I have ever tasted.
The staff were attentive and friendly. All in all, not a bad place to eat but I think this is a posh cafe under the guise of a 'restaurant'

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Went in with the family during a quick visit to Barmouth. We were a bit put off by the mould growing on the wall by our table. We had already ordered so don't feel we could leave. When the food came it was great - a bit over priced - but obviously home made and all 4 of us really enjoyed it. Just which they would clean the place!

Dedeknicks, Owner at The Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

First of all I would like to thank you for visiting the Anchor and for the kind words regarding the enjoyment of your food.

However I am saddened to hear that you felt the Restaurant was not clean. I can assure you that I take great personal pride in the cleanliness of my establishment and I am particularly proud of the 5 star rating (awarded by the HSE) which I have consistently achieved for a number of years.

All this does not excuse the fact that you found mould on a wall adjacent to your table but can I share some information with you that hopefully will go some way to assure you that this was a one off event.

The reason mould has appeared on the walls is because recently we have experienced heavy storms which included local flooding to the area just prior to the opening of our season. As a result of these storms The Anchor took a lashing against the elements and the outside wall became very wet. We managed to cleanup the initial mess and dry the walls out as best we could. We have been advised that due to the  walls construction, the walls are still probably damp and given the humid environment of the restaurant we are susceptible currently to mould growth.

We carry out a deep clean down at the end of every night paying particular attention wiping the walls down with bleach. Unfortunately it looks as though there has been an appearance of mould after the deep clean that has not been spotted. As you have now brought this matter to my attention I will ensure that we carry out an inspection prior to opening the following day.

I hope you find the time to visit Barmouth again in the near future and will once again visit my establishment where I can assure you that the food will once again be great. And we have a heatwave that will dry the wall out.
Regards Davina

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Always a pleasure to come here , always great food , great value and fantastic views over the fishing bay, staff friendly and great atmosphere , good local produce and reasonably priced, sit and enjoy tea and cake or pie and a pint looking over the bay and soak up the sun great little gem !!!

A TripAdvisor Member
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a pleasant meal here on Friday night. The macaroni cheese was delicious. My partner enjoyed the fish pie. We booked a table, but there wasn't any need to, as there was only one other couple in. Would recommend.

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Place looked so inviting so gave it a go. Menu was sparse but ok. At 17.00 they had run out of pâté but failed to tell us until we tried to order it, why not say when giving us the menu? Jalapeño dippers where chewy and bland. My main was scampi platter which basically 5 scampi and chips and salad. Scampi was ok but at £11.99 ok is not good enough. Drinks are expensive and food is just overpriced pub food.