“Wonderful location and very good food (mostly)”
Review of Flat Rock Bistro

Flat Rock Bistro
Ranked #4 of 45 Restaurants in Cardigan
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Wonderful location and very good food (mostly)”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We were taken to this lovely restaurant by my aunt who lives nearby. The views are wonderful (it was a sunny day...) and the restaurant, which has a lovely balcony overlooking the sea, was quite busy. We chose to sit indoors and were shown to a very nice table with a sea view.

No starters for us - we wanted to save room for their delicious looking desserts, so we headed straight into our main courses. I had the most amazing prime fillet of Welsh beef, which I have to say was the tastiest steak I can remember eating, perfectly cooked (medium rare). Hubby had Baked fillet of cod with a herb crust with a white wine cream sauce and said it was really tasty. Unfortunately, we were also served with a large bowl of chips to share between the four of us, which were cold, difficult to dish up (there wasn't room on the table to put the bowl down next to my plate and they could not be served with a single hand using the spoon provided, so I ended up tipping them - not very elegant!) and not very tasty.

The desserts did not disappoint! I thoroughly enjoyed my Rhubarb Crumble, served with loads of hot, sweet, perfectly cooked custard.

The wine we chose was also very good, the service was excellent and overall I would recommend this restaurant but beware of the chips!

Rhoose, United Kingdom
“Bistro not fine dining”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The restaurant is set with lovely views across Cardigan bay. We sat down for food at 6.45pm and the restaurant was already pretty busy, a good sign or so I thought. The menu was not very inspiring but if you like scampi, gammon or lasagne this might be your type of place. Personally I felt I stepped back in time with the starters on offer being deep fired brie, soup, pate, prawn salad or garlic mushrooms. Perhaps they were going for retro! There was a specials menu which included chicken goujons, need I say more!

My colleagues had starters and then we had to wait over 30 mins for our main course. I ordered scampi and chips. The scampi had been cooked for so long I could hardly cut it. When I did manage to finally open one I had to search for the scampi. The chips were not homemade and therefore were of the tasteless frozen variety. There was a further wait of 20 mins before one of my colleagues had to ask for the desert menu. Then there was a further 15 mins before someone came to see whether we wanted to order desert. By that time my colleagues had decided that they couldn't be bothered to order.

My colleague said they enjoyed their food, although it was no better than usual pub food. I on the other hand had an awful meal and would not return which is a shame because they have the potential to have a nice restaurant, with the views and the setting. I think however their aim is price over quality.

• Visited May 2013
Cardiff, UK
“Very nice meal on the west Wales Coast”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Booked for 8.30pm on a Sunday night (rang at 7.30pm, they were happy to accomodate our party of 3) - reasonably busy but wasn't packed to the rafters. Was too cold to sit outside which was a pity as the views are wonderful over the Cardigan bay. However even indoors, big bay windows still afford excellent viewing of the sunset. I ordered the fish and chips (v good) and my wife had the vegetable enchiladas (really v good indeed !). Service was good, although the mayonnaise was a bit tasteless for some reason. We finished up with raspberry roulade and banoffee pie, these were very tasty and a good portion size of both. I'd have been happy to have come for another meal had we been staying in the area longer. All in all, well worth a look

1 Thank mithu1974
Caldicot, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, service and view!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Had dinner here on the evenings of Friday 31st May and Saturday 1st June 2013.

We were staying in the attached hotel but even then booking is highly advised as very popular with the locals. Booked for 8pm on each evening.

When you arrive you can either be seated straight away or sit in the bar with drinks till your food is ready. The staff take your order after they see you have a drink and its not long before you are taken into the dining area for your meal. We waited no more than 10 mins.

The restaurant room is clean and were sitted by the window with a great view of the sea. The food was at our table quickly and was of a high quality. It is obviously fresh and portions were better than most you get. Great selection of desserts too. The staff were polite in asking if we needed anything else without being intrusive. The prices are on the more expensive side but we couldnt complain as the food was excellent. As we were staying in the hote we easily charged the food to our room.

Overall this is an excellent restaurant. From the helpful staff to the high quaity fresh food we were more than happy - my steak especially was perfect.

1 Thank SteveCharli
“Good Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

If you are lucky enough to have the weather book a table on the outside balcony to enjoy great views. lovely Sunday lunch with generous helpings and very helpful staff.Will return to try the week day menu too

• Visited May 2013