“A beautiful shop”

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A beautiful shop”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We found this to be a lovely shop that offers some of the most wonderful hand knitted jumpers that we have seen anywhere. Yes the jumpers are expensive but you’d expect that from hand knitted and hand dyed yarns and it comes over as real local craftsmanship.

This isn’t your mass designed and produced synthetic garments. We bought jumpers that I’m certain will last a lifetime and will remind us of the beauty of Skye and the views out across the Minch.

Visited March 2012

Warwick, United Kingdom
123 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Beautiful knitwear, but so overpriced in today's climate”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Beautiful garments , all hand knitted locally, a feast for the eyes, but we had to leave it at that because they were so expensive. The knitters generally get 20% of the sale price, so work it out for yourself.
Waternish is beautiful though.

Visited September 2011
shilasdairshop, Owner at The Shilasdair Shop, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
I'm sorry that you found our prices too high. I thought I should explain a bit about how I set them! Each garment is knitted from pure yarn (wool/ angora/ cashmere etc) which has been dyed using only natural ingredients. Each design has been produced especially for the shop and is not available anywhere else (except for the website). My knitters are far flung and every parcel of wool has to be posted to and fro, and on top of that, the Government takes an additional 20% in VAT.
I recognise that there is a shortage of money around and stock a number of smaller items to take this into account. Finally - if you can knit - the designs are also available as knit kits for you to knit yourself! I run the shop out of love for the product - certainly don't make the sort of profits you might think!
Please don't be put off coming - there is plenty for everyone plus you can learn a bit about natural dyeing.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“It's a wool shop.”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Went here specifically as it advertised a spinning exhibition. However on arrival there was a DVD presentation approx 10 minutes long showing natural dyeing techniques, a spinning wheel but there was no-one to discuss the process with, and the shop lady said that "this plan had fallen through, there is no exhibition"

There was a range of beautiful locally crafted knitwear, and a wide range of skeins of wool for the knitters amongst us. The jumpers were in the price range £120 to £250 on average.

Visited July 2011
shilasdairshop, Manager at The Shilasdair Shop, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
I'm so sorry if you were disappointed by the lack of spinning in the shop on the day you visited. I'm afraid it depends on the skills of the staff member on duty at the time plus the number of other visitors to the shop. I have rewritten my leaflet to leave out references to spinning as that was clearly misleading -- but don't be put off - there is a spinning wheel in the exhibition and on some days you can see spinning in action!
Bristol
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“An unexpected treat”
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I found the Shilsdair Yarn Shop on the stunningly beautiful Waternish peninsula on Skye. They sell naturally dyed yarns in the most sumptious colours, and also undyed natural wools which also come in a wider range of colours than I expected - greys, browns and blacks with real depth to them! It was like being in a sweet shop for followers of colour. So beautiful that I was inspired to knit, and came away with some of the wonderful wooly stuff, giving me lasting enjoyment! There is also an exhibition about how the colours are "cooked", and a small garden of some of the plants used in the dyeing process. Not to mention the most beautiful view I've ever seen, fringed by the Outer Hebrides.

Visited July 2011