“Lovely setting”
Review of Smithy House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pennyghael
Smithy House
Ranked #3 of 3 Pennyghael B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed one night. Carol and Peter were really friendly and warm. We had booked two rooms a double with a put up for us and our youngest and a second twin room for my Mum and daughter. Unfortunately when arrived at 5 pm we were told that the twin wasn't available, I think this was because they had a relative staying, which was fair enough, we didn't mind but it was a bit inconvenient as Mum and my daughter had to share a bed.

Carol made us dinner which was great after a long day walking and there was plenty, her rhubarb crumble was delicious.

Breakfast was fine but unfortunately Carol and Peter had to leave before we did and so we helped ourselves, again not a problem but it perhaps would have been better to let us know about the room and that there was no cooked breakfast available before we arrived.

All in all our stay was fine but we probably wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We had a fantastic stay in Mull staying at Smithy House. Carol could not have been more welcoming and the evening meal that she prepared for us on arrival was very nice. It is not often that you can completely relax in a place and have it feel like home but this is certainly true when you stay at Smithy House and i would thoroughly recommend it to everyone for it's value for money and genuinely friendly welcome.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MikeSeignior
Reviewed May 16, 2012

It was a quick stop, just for a coffee and feed the wee one, but we were welcomed by Peter, a really good guy! It was at the end of our trip on the Isle of Mull, but it's one of the best moment of the weekend. This typical B&B makes you feel at home in a second, and around a cup of coffee + an homemade apple scone, that's all you need. He made my day!
We didn't see the rooms, so I can't judge it, but I would recommend at least a stop to this magic place. Thanks again Peter! That's how I like travels, meet generous and friendly people :)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We enjoyed our stay on Mull and in the Smithy but considering the lack of places to eat in the evenings would of liked to be offered evening meals. Packed lunch was expensive so would advise taking some of your own snacks as shops are limited. Ideal base for walking and wildlife spotting at the quieter end of the Island although we explored it all. Lovely hosts. Ideal for visiting Iona, a gorgeous island.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I am writing this review a few months after staying at the Smithy. My brother & we traveled up from the South of England and following Carole's directions arrived at the Smithy at twilight across the loch. Carole had very kindly made us a wonderful hot stew and we sat at the kitchen table getting to know each other. The Smithy is cosy and comfortable and our double rooms had views across the water. There were books and CD in my room and the bed was very comfortable. I had plenty of space for my luggage. Carole and Peter are excelent hosts and I wish them all the best.
I have a wee drawing of the Smithy in my kitchen and I left a little peice of my heart with them in Mull.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the loch.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Set in a beautiful location, we arrived at Smithy House to a scrumptious dinner, and immediately felt relaxed and welcome.
Carol (the fish wife) served the best meals on the island, whilst Peter made the tastiest scones. They were both so good with our 3 year old son, they really understood what he needed and how to entertain him with their endless amount of animals that consisted of cat's, ponies, dogs, chickens and ducks (a dream for any 3 year old).
The rooms were clean and the bed was very comfortable, there are endless amounts of DVDs and books to read should the weather be problematic.
We will be going back and we miss Maverick the cat so much.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Just back from a trip on Mull and en route to Iona we passed through the village of Pennyghael and spied the welcoming coffee and scones sign! Such a simple statement for what was about to be a gastronomic delight! Okay - I love scones. These werent ordinary scones these were fresh out the oven made by Peter. Closely obsereved by Carol! Despite his tea drinking cup with "Mr Grumpy" on the front, Peter was the opposite. Our order was taken in the kitchen with the aroma of fresh scones baking in the oven. The choice of apple, pear and apricot we all opted for apple. Peter served them to us sitting at the side of the loch , freshly brewed coffee and tea. The setting is truly beautiful . Carol and Peter were so welcoming to the 5 of us and our dogs - who even enjoyed a bone. We would definitely return and not only eat the sccones but stay . Thanks again for the hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends