“What a B&B should Be”

Tetherstone Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isle of Harris
Tetherstone Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 23 Isle of Harris B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed at Tetherstone B&B for three nights at the end of a short first tour of the Highlands and Outer Islands. I've never been to such a warm, comfortable, hospitable B&B and it was definitely one of the highlights of a wonderful touring week. Arabella and David do make you feel very at home with a perfect combination of friendliness and having your own space. Your private bathroom (bath & shower)next door is just as good as an en-suite and the rooms are very pleasantly decorated. There are lots of books, local information and David and Arabella are full of good advice for walks, art and craft studios and galleries of which there are many and places to eat -The Anchorage a few miles away at Leverburgh is a very good seafood restaurant (we went twice)
Breakfast was superb with lots of choice , beautifully and freshly cooked with local produce - homemade bread, fresh fruit salad,amazing eggs! Very generous portions.
We hope to return to the wild, beautiful and other worldly Outer Hebrides soon and wouldn't want to stay anywhere but Tetherstone B&B

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cynthia W

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I'd have to say that after a 3 week trip all over Scotland, I keep coming back to our time at Tetherstone. Although we stayed in wonderful B&B's, this is the one I'd come back to in a heartbeat. Arabella and David are beyond wonderful hosts. They are so warm and so genuine. They make you feel like friends, not guests. The rooms were the most spotless we stayed in. Decor was cozy, with good antiques mixed in with modern furniture. Lots of windows in our room, though we didn't have a view. There was TV with lots of channels, though we didn't watch. There is wi-fi although when we were there it was not working. Not a problem, though, because a cozy cafe two doors down with spectacular views DID have fast wi-fi and they let us sit and do email as long as we wanted. (It's the Temple Cafe, and you MUST eat there, the food and atmosphere is fantastic).
What really sets Tetherstone apart are the details that Arabella includes. The towels are abundant, linens soft, lots of cotton balls, shower caps, cups for the bathroom, and very good toiletries galore -- lots of lotions, bubble bath, shower gels. And the most delicious robes.
The private bathrooms are not en suite, which took me aback at first. However, since the bathroom is private, and literally, less than a step outside your door, I actually liked it much better. Too often en suite bedrooms in B&B's are tacked-on affairs that make the room smaller. This way we felt the room was more spacious. And it was nice to be in the bathroom a bit away from where your husband is lying in the bed. The feeling of privacy was great!
Also, there are only 2 bedrooms upstairs, each with its own bathroom, and the suites are separated by a landing filled with books and chairs for reading and unwinding. We only saw the other guests at breakfast, the layout felt much more private than any other B&B we stayed in.
One tip when it comes to rooms, our bedroom's bathroom had a tub with hand held shower. That was fine because I like baths. The other bathroom had a tub with stand up shower, so if you prefer showers, ask for that room.
Arabella also provided more selection than any other B&B when it came to tea and coffee in the room, and she even had waiting for us home-baked goodies for us each day! That was in addition to shortbread! Breakfasts were absolutely delicious -- my favorite was the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon -- with eggs from the neighbor! We were so lucky to find Tetherstone, we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed as 2 couples at Tetherstone B&B. David and Arabella could not have been more welcoming and the rooms felt like we were living in the lap of luxury.

The hotel is a short walk from 3 beautiful beaches and is also very near to a café that is great for lunch, dinner or just coffee. The breakfasts were sumptuous and we were even surprised to find cake left out for us when we got back from a day trip. David and Arabella were very friendly and David was full of suggestions for our trip.

I would recommend Tetherstone for a perfect, warm and relaxing stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Phil W
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We recently spent 2 nights with Arabella& David as our son was getting married in Northton. They could'nt have made us more welcome. We felt as though we were part of their family. The food was wonderful and so plentiful. Like other reviewers wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ettamac
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I spent two nights at Tetherstone and so wished I had the freedom to extend my stay, I absolutely loved it and cannot say enough about it! From all the unexpected little extras, such as the bubble bath in the bathroom and the yummy lemon cake that was waiting for me at the end of my first day, to the delicious french toast breakfast, my stay was way beyond my expectations. And it would have been just as delightful even without the little touches because Arabella and David are truly wonderful hosts. David was so kind to print out the local bus timetables for me, and they both suggested various walks and things to do in the local area. After being away from my own home for over a month, I felt so welcomed into their home, not just as a customer but as a friend. I highly recommend staying here and I'm already planning for a future trip back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank iwearredsocks
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed at Tetherstone for 2 nights recently and can't recommend it highly enough. (I must disagree with the previous review - CONS?! what cons, there are only PROS!). Our hosts were friendly and welcoming, the food was superb (apart from the usual you get home made bread with breakfast, and cake with your welcoming tray of tea), the rooms were beyond spotless and - although as said below the bathrooms are adjacent rather than ensuite - there thoughtfully are soft cotton bathrobes provided, so it isn't a problem at all, the bathroom is just outside the bedroom door.

Altogether fab, including the location, we were absolutely delighted with our choice of accommodation.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Elsa B
Reviewed July 17, 2013

What a fab B&B, the decor is lovely and the house it is absolutely spotless. David and Arabella are a lovely friendly couple and who both bend over backwards to help you. The breakfast was very yummy, especially the homemade bread. The location is great as you are right next to all the big Harris beaches. I couldn't find any fault with this B&B and we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family