“Great place to eat, post war motel rooms”
Review of Morefield Motel

Morefield Motel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Ullapool
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Restaurant highly recommended. Rooms not acceptable for that price (see other
reviews).

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 9, 2009

We did not stay at the motel but very much looked forward to eating their as we had heard such good things abut this eating place,howerver on our visit we where totally ignored we waited for well over 25 mins for our order to be taken (it was not too busy) the staff had time to talk to each other so we gave up and for the first time in my 67 yrs we walked out and went to the lovely Arches

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pat_carr
Reviewed August 26, 2009

This is an update from previous entries.
I stayed at the Morefield for one night in early August, having read the reviews I was not really wanting to stay here but everywhere else contacted had not vacancies.
The staff were welcoming and very helpful, the dining room was comfortable and the meals were very good.
However, it all was let down by the room, nothing had changed since the last reviewer-late 60's decor and needing refurbishment.
I stayed in room 2, the door knob needed a good "humping" to turn the key and persuasion of a foot to open. The room was clean and linen acceptable but - cobwebs in the corners and in shade of above bed light, the rear facing opening window frame was starting to rot and had no burglar proof catch (remember these rooms are on ground floor), the shower was OK but I would not like to shower there.
One washbasin in the bedroom not in the bathroom, towels but no facecloth, no bar of soap but a dispenser (broken) above the sink. The inside of the electric kettle was as black as the ace of spades.
Finally, there was a colour TV in the room but I could only receive four "mushy" pictures, it would appear that P1,P2,P3 etc on the screen suggests that it is a pay to view TV but could not see any documentation to this effect.
It would appear that the Morefield had joined the bandwagon in Ullapool of 'fleecing the tourists while they are here!' after comparing prices in the area.

ps Be aware of the dreaded Scottish Midges in August !!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank EdFred
Reviewed May 31, 2009

Within walking distance (just) of the Ullapool seafront, the Morefield has a pleasant restaurant/bar area, a strong reputation for its seafood and pleasant staff. Our stay was, however, badly let down by the room. Although clean, it was tiny for a double (it would have been a reasonable single), with the only sitting space facing the bathroom door rather than the TV or the view. The Scottish weather also appeared to have taken its toll, with every sheet of wallpaper starting to curl away from the wall at the seams. The owners are clearly trying to make the most of it, but are struggling against an inadequate building. Compared with some excellent local guesthouses, the rooms are poor quality and expensive.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tenlad
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I booked this place because of TripAdvisor so I thought that I should at least balance the reviews out. I'm willing to believe that we just got a bad room so I'm not going to say that the whole place is terrible but we had a really bad experience.
I have travelled quite a bit but I was really sad that this place was to be found in Scotland, where I come from. I just kept thinking about what a terrible impression it must give visitors. The proprietors were more “West Yorkshire” than “West Ross-Shire” but that is common in the area and is no reason not to expect a nice experience with a bit of local hospitality.
The room looked like it was put together in the late sixties/early seventies and just left that way. It's like stepping back in time. The walls were paper-thin and we were kept up most of the night by the TV next door- and that was after taking the conscious decision that we were going to need to go for a few drinks in the town to make it through the night! The linen and towels were threadbare - literally. The original plumbing was there so there was no sink in the bathroom (there was one in the main room). The shower needed to have fresh sealant. There were some bizarre artificial flowers that looked like they had been brought out for Xmas '82 and somebody forgot to put them away. It was just really bad and it ruined our night in Ullapool which I always remember as a great little place.
Perhaps the food here is good - we didn't want to stay any longer than necessary so went out - but the awards that decorate the doors suggest that Egon Ronay gave it plenty of awards 15 years ago. For those that still want to stay here the only other thing to consider is that this is on the outskirts of the village and up the hill a little. Certainly walkable and no problems to most people – maybe 15 minutes – but just thought I should note it. I suppose if I was being totally fair I should also mention that you can park your car right outside your door (motel-style). Parking isn’t generally a problem in this part of the world though.
Like I say, maybe we just got a bad room – the reviews here certainly don’t sound anything like what I saw. I would never go back – life’s too short.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank TheWanderlust
Reviewed September 16, 2008

We stayed at the Morefield Motel just one night. We had also the dinner there and it was wonderful (seafood). They were very kind with us, there was no problem. The only thing is that probably the rooms need to be refurbished. Our room at least was a bit old: bleached curtain and carpet, linen enough clean but not very "new", the forniture was in general old. We didn't have a bad stay but not as comfortable as in other b&b, moreover we paid a lot more here than in other places (£105pn vs £66-75pn for 3 adults sharing one en suite room).

SIncerly I heartily recommend a dinner here but don't stay for the night!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 26, 2008

Have just returned from a very enjoyable stay at the Morefield. We liked it so much that we stayed an extra night and have booked to return in August. All staff were very courteous and of-course the food absolutely delicious. It was also very reasonably priced. Accommodation, though not luxurious ,was clean and comfortable and we liked the fact that we could park our car right beside our room as it is a motel and the rooms are just behind. Our dog was allowed to stay and she had a brilliant time, enjoying the riverside walks just a few minutes walk from the back of the motel. it was absolutely the best weekend away we have had in a long time and we are already looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WinnieMoray
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ullapool
Argyll Hotel
Inver Lodge Hotel
Inver Lodge Hotel
#1 of 3 in Lochinver
The Summer Isles Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Morefield Motel? Share your experiences!