“Nice food, pity about the room.”
Review of Morefield Motel

Morefield Motel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Ullapool
Northumberland
“Nice food, pity about the room.”
Reviewed August 26, 2009

This is an update from previous entries.
I stayed at the Morefield for one night in early August, having read the reviews I was not really wanting to stay here but everywhere else contacted had not vacancies.
The staff were welcoming and very helpful, the dining room was comfortable and the meals were very good.
However, it all was let down by the room, nothing had changed since the last reviewer-late 60's decor and needing refurbishment.
I stayed in room 2, the door knob needed a good "humping" to turn the key and persuasion of a foot to open. The room was clean and linen acceptable but - cobwebs in the corners and in shade of above bed light, the rear facing opening window frame was starting to rot and had no burglar proof catch (remember these rooms are on ground floor), the shower was OK but I would not like to shower there.
One washbasin in the bedroom not in the bathroom, towels but no facecloth, no bar of soap but a dispenser (broken) above the sink. The inside of the electric kettle was as black as the ace of spades.
Finally, there was a colour TV in the room but I could only receive four "mushy" pictures, it would appear that P1,P2,P3 etc on the screen suggests that it is a pay to view TV but could not see any documentation to this effect.
It would appear that the Morefield had joined the bandwagon in Ullapool of 'fleecing the tourists while they are here!' after comparing prices in the area.

ps Be aware of the dreaded Scottish Midges in August !!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank EdFred

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Derby
Reviewed May 31, 2009

Within walking distance (just) of the Ullapool seafront, the Morefield has a pleasant restaurant/bar area, a strong reputation for its seafood and pleasant staff. Our stay was, however, badly let down by the room. Although clean, it was tiny for a double (it would have been a reasonable single), with the only sitting space facing the bathroom door rather than the TV or the view. The Scottish weather also appeared to have taken its toll, with every sheet of wallpaper starting to curl away from the wall at the seams. The owners are clearly trying to make the most of it, but are struggling against an inadequate building. Compared with some excellent local guesthouses, the rooms are poor quality and expensive.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tenlad

Travelers are raving about these Ullapool hotels

Scotland
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I booked this place because of TripAdvisor so I thought that I should at least balance the reviews out. I'm willing to believe that we just got a bad room so I'm not going to say that the whole place is terrible but we had a really bad experience.
I have travelled quite a bit but I was really sad that this place was to be found in Scotland, where I come from. I just kept thinking about what a terrible impression it must give visitors. The proprietors were more “West Yorkshire” than “West Ross-Shire” but that is common in the area and is no reason not to expect a nice experience with a bit of local hospitality.
The room looked like it was put together in the late sixties/early seventies and just left that way. It's like stepping back in time. The walls were paper-thin and we were kept up most of the night by the TV next door- and that was after taking the conscious decision that we were going to need to go for a few drinks in the town to make it through the night! The linen and towels were threadbare - literally. The original plumbing was there so there was no sink in the bathroom (there was one in the main room). The shower needed to have fresh sealant. There were some bizarre artificial flowers that looked like they had been brought out for Xmas '82 and somebody forgot to put them away. It was just really bad and it ruined our night in Ullapool which I always remember as a great little place.
Perhaps the food here is good - we didn't want to stay any longer than necessary so went out - but the awards that decorate the doors suggest that Egon Ronay gave it plenty of awards 15 years ago. For those that still want to stay here the only other thing to consider is that this is on the outskirts of the village and up the hill a little. Certainly walkable and no problems to most people – maybe 15 minutes – but just thought I should note it. I suppose if I was being totally fair I should also mention that you can park your car right outside your door (motel-style). Parking isn’t generally a problem in this part of the world though.
Like I say, maybe we just got a bad room – the reviews here certainly don’t sound anything like what I saw. I would never go back – life’s too short.

• Liked — Leaving - honestly we were so happy when we escaped
  • Disliked — The general room. It was like a dilapidated haunted house.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank TheWanderlust
Italy
Reviewed September 16, 2008

We stayed at the Morefield Motel just one night. We had also the dinner there and it was wonderful (seafood). They were very kind with us, there was no problem. The only thing is that probably the rooms need to be refurbished. Our room at least was a bit old: bleached curtain and carpet, linen enough clean but not very "new", the forniture was in general old. We didn't have a bad stay but not as comfortable as in other b&b, moreover we paid a lot more here than in other places (£105pn vs £66-75pn for 3 adults sharing one en suite room).

SIncerly I heartily recommend a dinner here but don't stay for the night!

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Moray
Reviewed May 26, 2008

Have just returned from a very enjoyable stay at the Morefield. We liked it so much that we stayed an extra night and have booked to return in August. All staff were very courteous and of-course the food absolutely delicious. It was also very reasonably priced. Accommodation, though not luxurious ,was clean and comfortable and we liked the fact that we could park our car right beside our room as it is a motel and the rooms are just behind. Our dog was allowed to stay and she had a brilliant time, enjoying the riverside walks just a few minutes walk from the back of the motel. it was absolutely the best weekend away we have had in a long time and we are already looking forward to returning.

• Liked — comfortable and clean. good value for money.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WinnieMoray
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2007

We stayed for 2 nights at the Morefield Motel after camping for three nights and it was a great base to explore Ullapool.

One of the great things about the motel is that you have your own door to your room and you do not have to go through the hotel to get to it. you can also park your car directly outside which is very handy.

The rooms were comfortable and some had a bath and shower and some only a shower but this is all that was required.

The breakfasts were excellent which is included in the price and the owners were very helpful.

When I booked the rooms, I decided to book a meal in the restaraunt which was in the taste of Scotland guide. This was the best decision I made in a long time as the meal was absolutely amazing. Little touches helped as you kept your table all night and were not rushed off it when you were finished which gave our group time to chat and digest the courses. The seafood was amazing and the guys at the motel were very helpful. The meal was very reasonable for what you got. Definately the best place I ate at in Ullapool.

A great place to stay and it is about a 5 -10 minute walk to the harbour and only 2 minutes to the golf course.

• Liked — The food in the restaurant
  • Disliked — Fluctuating water temperature in shower
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank sashleah
Rochester, NY
Reviewed May 20, 2007

I traveled to Ullapool for a geologic conference from the 12th of May through the 19th. For the previous six months I had a standing reservation with the Point Cottage Guest House in Ullapool, UK. Two weeks prior to the travel day, they decided to cancel my reservation because I was arriving very early Sunday morning, due to the fact that I would be arriving late via plane to Edinburgh and then driving a hired car to Ullapool (4 hours). After pleading with them to reverse their decision, they would not (DO NOT reserve with the Point Cottage, they are not what they seem on the website).

So alas, I was stuck in a bind. Tony and Bev from the Morefield Motel to the rescue! I fired off multiple emails to lots of places to stay in town and around the area. Tony from the Morefield got back to me the same day and said that they had something available. So I jumped on it and decided to take up Tony's offer. That was the best decision I made about the entire trip. Tony and Bev are brillant! They are so accommodating. They were full the night we would be arriving, and we said that we would take our time from Edinburgh and arrive at 7am. When we got there, a note was left on the door for us to come up and knock on their flat's door. We did so and Tony came out (with 5 hours sleep after dealing with a rucous 60th birthday party the night before) and told us that they had a cancellation and they could put us temporarily in another room until ours was ready. Although I was off to the conference's first field trip that morning. My fiancee, like myself, had no sleep in roughly 36 hours and the chance to sleep until the other room was ready was a godsend. And there was no charge for this. What a great start!

Their restaurant is wonderful. The best food in town and we went to other places, and it did not compare with the delectible foods we enjoyed at the Morefield's restaurant. The staff, other than Tony and Bev, were all friendly and courteous. Kim was a family friend and helped tend bar during the week we were there. He was awesome, great guy! The bar closes at 11pm, but if you are a guest at the motel, they will more than happily stay open and enjoy a few pints with you.

The rooms were clean and very neat. The room was serviced every day. They were comfortable and very resonably priced (30 pounds per person per night for a double room). This price is much lower than other "upscale" places that have terrible service (direct words from the other geologists who stayed there).

Break was served every day and it was beautiful. The food was great and Tony and Bev will talk with you and have a great morning conversation with you over tea and coffee.

I have to say that the Morefield Motel is probably the best place I have ever stayed at on any trip I have taken. If anybody is looking to stay in Ullapool serious consider staying at the Morefield, you will NOT be disappointed!

• Liked — The service!
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was great for me!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank rockhound61
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ullapool
Caledonian Hotel
#1 of 1 in Little Loch Broom
Gairloch Hotel
Gairloch Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gairloch

Been to Morefield Motel? Share your experiences!