“Ignored”
Review of The Arch Inn

The Arch Inn
Ranked #7 of 46 Ullapool B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We did not stay here but have tried to get a drink here on three occasions. Totally ignored while staff served locals. The pub was dirty and had tables which had not been cleared also it was so obvious we were not welcome. So why run an establishment in a tourist hot spot.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ches65
There are newer reviews for The Arch Inn

Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Thus place is a drinking den for locals who treat visitors like trespassers and the Manager, who brown noses his local chums and serves tourists after he has tended to his chums has an attitude as big as the belly. No table booking to eat so it's chance only that dictates this. I asked if I could eat at 8.30 and the staff said no problem as its quiter then but hey go when I went to eat they said a large party had booked and nothing was available. Appalling and the Nanager simply tried to be smart in front of his mates when I complained. Never go there. It's s scruffy, unfriendly and service is not on their menu. Go to the Ferry Inn along the road they treat you like a King in a trendy clean environment with great food.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank BorisWild
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I booked to stay on the way back from Stornoway as the last Friday ferry was not due back to Ullapool until 22:20, with a 1.5 hr delay on the boat I only just managed to make last orders!

My room was perfect, comfy bed and super shower but the best was still to come... Breakfast is served in the 1st floor restaurant from 8-10am and cooked to order and amazingly tasty.

My only regret was not being able to stay for longer, well done to all the staff for their hospitality.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We toured the Western Isles and then stayed at Ullapool for one night before heading south. The booking at the Arch Inn was, therefore, intended just to be a place to rest our heads and after staying at four B&B's on the previous 4 nights we didn't expect such a warm welcome here. But we were wrong. Friendly welcome, lovely room (clearly recently refurbished) overlooking the loch, superb breakfast, and great location just a stroll from the ferry terminal. It was easy to park the car, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. No doubt the sunshine and the beautiful town/village of Ullapool added to our feeling of satisfaction !

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I last stayed here 7 years ago and it was a pleasant, although shabby wee place. Wow, what a transformation since then. It has been very well refurbished and the rooms we saw are just lovely. We stayed here for one night with our in-laws - they had room 2 which was on the ground floor and had a double and a single bed (family room) and a view out onto the Loch. We had room 3 which was on the first floor next to the restaurant (to be honest I did worry about noise, but didn't hear a thing). Our room was beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean with a stunning view out over Loch Broom. It wasn't huge but they had made the most of the space, with a shelving unit and hanging space cleverly concealed behind the head of the bed. So cleverly in fact that it took my husband ages to find it! The bed was very comfy and we had a good night's sleep. There was loads of coffee, tea and biscuits and even a selection of boiled sweets. The bathroom was small but very clean - although a heated towel rail would be a good idea, also some sort of shelf/rack in the shower unit in which to put your shampoo, soap or shower gel, instead of having to leave it on the floor. But this is a minor quibble - the shower was excellent and there was plenty of hot water.
After a good night's sleep two of us had a fantastic full Scottish breakfast and the others had delicious kippers. I can't comment on the dinners since we didn't eat here at night, but we did have drinks of which there was a good selection.
The staff were really friendly and helpful, especially the young South African man who seemed to be constantly on the go!
I will definitely stay here next time we go to Ullapool - and I hope it's not 7 years until my next visit!!

Room Tip: Room 2 on the ground floor is large and has a view of the Loch, also Room 3 on the first floor is ve...
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed at the Arch last weekend for three nights, the room was basic but clean. Could have done with a mirror in the bathroom and some sort of shelf/vanity unit in the as the only place to leave your toilet bag was on the toilet cistern/ closed seat. Not the nicest thing to do. I had to put my make up bag in the sink whilst using the mirror. A hook on the bathroom door would have been helpful, as would an extra towel rail. I have emailed the Arch and to be fair they responed immediately. The breakfast was hot and well cooked but it would have been nice to have been offered more toast/tea/coffee, but I'm sure if we had asked we would have been given them. We had one meal in the restaurant and it was very good. All in all for the price it was good value and the situation was perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed at the Arch Inn for three nights. They put themselves out to rearrange their guest bookings so that we could have all three nights in one room at a busy period.
The room was clean, reasonably furnished with a wonderful view of Loch Broom. On the down side, the en suite bathroom lacked a hook for a bathrobe, a shelf for toiletries (we had to use the top of the cistern), a toothbrush mug/glass and a towel ring for use when taking a shower/bath. Water was hot immediately and shower was good.

We had breakfast on each of the three mornings, the service was excellent and the food was some of the best I've eaten in a hotel breakfast room.

This was also the case with the hotel restaurant where, when we identified ourselves as residents, we were led to the best table by the window. The food was good although my partner suspected that the chips which came with my fish and chips had come out of the freezer. However, the batter on the fish was crispy and melted in the mouth. My partner's chicken dish was also given the thumbs up.

There is free wifi although we found that the signal was very patchy.

All in all a great little hotel/restaurant which with a few tweeks could be even better.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ullapool
Caledonian Hotel
Inver Lodge Hotel
#1 of 3 in Lochinver
The Summer Isles Hotel and Restaurant
Creagan Guest House Ullapool

Been to The Arch Inn? Share your experiences!