“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of Caledonian Hotel

Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Ullapool
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

My sister and I booked a twin room for two nights, I'd read reviews and wasn't expecting to much. We got room on second floor and was surprised when we opened door, a bright pleasant room with a bath in ensuite plus shower, it was clean warm and wonderful view over the hills. We ate in restaurant both nights--- excellent food with great service, very friendly staff. Yes the hotel is old but it has character, the deal we had for the two nights bed and breakfast with dinner on first night and a bottle of bubbly was amazing--- we will definitely be back, do not let other reviews put you of this lovely old hotel

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank motoxfan
Andrewmac123, General Manager at Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Thank you taking the time to post your wonderful review, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed May 4, 2014

My husband and I travelled to the Caledonian Hotel as part of a coach party to spend our Easter break there for a few days. Having read a lot of reviews of the hotel I was more than apprehensive. We were allocated a double room at the front of the hotel on the 2nd floor. I had requested a room on a lower floor because of a knee problem I have so was a bit disappointed. As there were 2 other coach parties in I decided not to mention it. I was delighted to find our room overlooked the harbour and spent the first 30 minutes perched on the chair gazing at the beautiful scenery. Our room was clean it had a double bed with a wardrobe, chest of drawers and 2 bedside cabinets and a TV on the wall. It was a basic room but the bedding and towels were clean which is most important. The bathroom had what looked like a big damp patch at the sink beside the bath but again did not take away from our stay. Our evening meals were lovely and the food plentiful. Breakfasts were also great with a good selection, I loved the haggis for breakfast in the mornings!! We never left the restaurant hungry. The waiting staff were amazing and couldn't do enough for us. They were always polite and courteous. We asked at reception for extra towels, pillows and more milk and were given all of these with no complaint from the helpful reception staff. After a busy day it was nice to chill in the afternoons with a refreshment either in the hotel reception/lounge or in the bar. We definitely were lucky with the weather. Like a few of the other reviews said the hotel does look a bit tired and to my mind needs a fresh coat of paint and a few finishing touches here and there in the hotel. If you go to the Caledonian Hotel looking for 5 star accommodation I can guarantee you will not find it there. However if you go with an open mind and remember you're only sleeping in the rooms and embrace the warmth the staff show you, you will not be disappointed. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the hotel and felt it was the most relaxing break we've ever had anywhere. It was just a treat to chill in the hotel and Ullapool and forget about city living and remember there is more to life than work. I must say on the morning we left I was heartbroken. My husband and I just want to say to the General Manager, Andrew Mackay, thank you for a great little break, it was thoroughly enjoyable. All your hotel needs is a wee update of the decor which can only add to the guest experience. Your staff are all wonderful and contributed to our enjoyment. I can guarantee you my husband and I will be back hopefully in September and again next year for Easter. Thank you again from 2 very happy customers

2  Thank Catherine M

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind comments we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, we look forward to seeing you again in September

Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

This isn't London. It's Ullapool. It's a quiet fishing town that's rough around the edges and the hotel reflects this. When you walk into the hotel you feel like you've stepped back in time. Indeed, I imagine not much has changed in past decades, but it's a good feeling and the staff are so friendly. We were travelling with a 6 month old baby and staff were so welcoming and accommodating to him.

We had a room overlooking the harbour and beds were comfy. A hearty brekkie was served in the morning, including haggis. It was a great start to our Highlands adventure!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank apelynns

Thank you for your kind comments we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, we look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Stayed here on a mini tour of Northern Scotland. To be fair, we weren't expecting anything too brilliant, so we didn't have overly high expectations. Our room was clean, which is always important, and the bed was comfortable. We decided not to eat there as the prices seemed high, but the breakfast the following morning was perfectly fine. The hotel is tired and could do with some renovation work, but for an overnight stay or a couple of nights, it was fine.

Thank you for your kind comments we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us

Reviewed April 25, 2014

To describe this hotel as rough around the edges is offensive to things with rough edges. It's hard to believe it's been improved in any way for many decades. The horrendous tartan carpet throughout the entrance hall and corridors led to a tiny single room with no decor whatsoever to speak of. The single bed was uncomfortable and urgently needed a new mattress.

The bathroom was falling to pieces with a shower that stayed cold until I wrestled with the controls and then wouldn't switch off until I again wrestled with the controls. The rubber shower mat was mouldy and so slippery I almost broke my knee when getting into the cubicle.

There was a very odd smell throughout the hotel, perhaps mould but hard to put my finger on. The room didn't seem terribly clean, a thick coating of dust on top of the electric heater made me not want to look any further...

I'd booked a room only, without breakfast, and if the rest of the hotel is anything to go by I think I might have made a good choice.

The staff were pleasant though...

Avoid... £50 for something pleasant is better than £30 for something unpleasant.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank FoodMonsterBen

Thank you for your comments, we have taken them on board and discussed them with our management team. Once again thank you for your comments

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed at this hotel as part of a package with Just Go Holidays and really enjoyed the whole weekend. The hotel is tired in parts and could do with a lick of paint in places, however our bedroom was clean and comfortable, we had a TV, tea and coffee making facilities and fresh white towels. The food in the restaurant was a set menu with choice of two starters, three main courses(Meat, Fish or Vegetarian choice) and 2 deserts followed by tea or coffee. The food was very good and we enjoyed the meals very much. The staff in the restaurant were very nice, polite and helpful. The hotel is not 4 or 5 star so please do not expect the standard of the 4/5 star hotel it is a budget hotel which I would be happy to go to again. I thought the price we paid for our long weekend break was very good value for the money. I believe if you were an independent traveller there was a different menu choice. Ullapool is a lovely place well worth a visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank sweetpea8me

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Stayed here last week with a coach tour. Ok it's not a five star but we weren't expecting that. Room was clean, bathroom was clean, bed was comfy and plenty of hot water. What else do you need especially when you are out all day. Shower wasn't the best in the world but you can put up with that for four nights surely. Food was hot, good menu and plenty of it. Staff were really helpful and seemed to enjoy their job, unlike some hotel staff I have experienced. Even with a 3 hour power cut they dealt with it professionally. What is there to complain about. Would I stay again...definitely. Gave four stars on account of the shower and the angle of the wall, had to watch you don't bump your head on it to get under the shower as the shower head is not moveable.

Thank you for your kind comments we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ullapool
Argyll Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gairloch
Morefield Motel
Morefield Motel
#2 of 7 in Ullapool

Been to Caledonian Hotel? Share your experiences!