“Good hotel, value for money”
Review of Caledonian Hotel

Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Ullapool
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Just spent 3 nights there had read previous reviews and was concerned. No need to be, food really good, clean and warm. Staff very helpful and pleasant. Fri nights band the Rogues were brilliant. Would go back.again

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank Janstonp
Andrewmac123, General Manager at Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we are happy that you enjoyed the entertainment in our public bar

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We arrived for a 3 night deal with some trepidation having read some bad reviews but folks this is a 2 star hotel, it does what it says on the tin. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and warm. The breakfast was really good as was our evening meal. There's a Comfy lounge with a coal fire burning. The surrounding scenery is breathtaking, the villagers friendly. We will definitely come again, perhaps in summer this time

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roy A

Thank you very much for your kind comments and look forward to seeing you again

Andrew

Reviewed February 22, 2014

This hotel has good and bad bits but at £30 a night I never thought it would resemble the Ritz !
Arrived as a solo traveller. Girl at the desk was very pleasant. Given keys and told where Room 40 on the 2nd floor was. No lift but I'm fit. Room was very small but warm. Heater was on full. Bed was fine and although the shower took a few minutes to run hot it was powerful when it did. Small bit of mould in the shower grout but not near bottom where you stand. View was of hotel roof ! Window wood was rotten but no draughts and did not rattle in the windy night. All the lights tv and kettle worked. Damp bit on wall. Very quiet at night and good quality window drapes kept the light out. I slept well both nights.
I didn't eat in the hotel but spent both nights sitting by the open fire in the lounge. It would seat 60 people but I more less had it to my self. Was very pleasant sitting there and the staff were very speedy to put more fuel on the fire when it burnt down a little. Polish barman was very pleasant.
Would I stay there again ? Yes it is shabby but not dirty. But I'd be asking for a room with a view. Didn't seem worth asking to move when I was only there for 2 nights and it was dark by 6 but I'm sure there were rooms with a harbour view lying empty while I was admiring my view of the roof !

Room Tip: Ask for harbour view. Worth it in the summer
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Andrewmac123, General Manager at Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor, your comments have been passed on to the rest of the team. Once again thank you for your comments

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I had the misfortune to spend two nights here in February 2014 on a business trip. When I first went in there was a smell of fresh paint and an open fire in the foyer, so I thought the place was okay. How wrong I was! The door to the room had chipped paint, as well as chipped paint in the corridors. These were not the chips you see from a short period of not having the decor refreshed, this is cleary years of neglect. The room itself was cleanish, if a little old fashioned. The bathroom was something else! Chipped tiles, mildew and silicone sealant around the bath that looks like it was put on by a drunk otter. That is what I expect from a $5 a night dosshouse in some developing nation. The two nights I was there the weather outside was wet an windy, but as it was Ullapool in February, you couldn't really expect more. The single glazing was rattly and noisey and stripped every ounce of heat out the room the battered and filthy old electric panel heater could put out. I eventually ended up stuffing towels and pillow agains the windows in an ettempt not to die from hypothermia overnight. In spite of the heater being on all night, it was just as cold in the morning and I'm grateful I had the sense to wear some of my clothes in bed.

As for the breakfast, I didn't get past the rice crispies on day one. After using the self-service cereal table, and waiting 10 minutes for a member of waiting staff to appear, I asked the lady on reception and she managed to find somebody to take my order. I asked for French toast and was told "he doesn't do French toast". I was not fully explained to me where "he" was incapable of the complexities of the order and had skipped catering college the week that this was being taught, or had some other good reason for not "doing" French toast. I cannot be sure there isn't some medical condition for a breakfast cook not to "do" French toast, such as an allergery to bread dipped in egg and fried slowly in a frying pan or whether there was a religious reason for not "doing" French toast. The internet was not too helpful on finding an answer to this. I did wonder at the time if French toast was a step to far into the exotic for catering at the hotel, or whether I was simply being a picky cusomer, but having taken the time to ponder I can only assume the cook simply couldn't be bothered "doing" French toast. Anyway, I had a sandwich from Tesco and my company paid £8.95 for a small bowl of rice crispies. The second morning I didn't even bother with breakfast in the "hotel" and went straight for the Tesco option.

This establishment is clearly stuck back in the attitudes of the 1970's as far as customers are concerned and is reminiscant of Bill Bryson's account in his book, Notes from a small island, from of staying in Dover boarding house on his first arrival in the UK. It is clearly not good enough from my experience and from those of other reviewers, either invest and improve or die a slow painful death.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else instead
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank El_Scallipo

Thank you so much for your comments they are very helpful to us here at the hotel, to let us know where we still need to improve, i apologise to you for the sub standard service you had when you were staying with us.

Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Arrived in ullapool in the middle of a srorm. Had knowhere booked could not get a b&b. As i stick to a very low budget i thought i may have to sleep in my car. So started to look for a place to park up. Then i noticed the Caledonian Hotel shining like a star in the night. I parked up and went inside. I asked the young lady on reception the cost for a single room. She replied £30 sir. I could have bit her hand off. I accepted there and then the hotel is tired in areas but clean warm and staff very friendly. Ok its not the ritz but for £30 you get Bed and Breakfast. Brwakfast very well cooked. Will defo stay again. Please thank the staff for looking after me on my visit.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Pmungall

I will pass your kind comments on to our team, thank you and we look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Kind of lost for words with this place, it was cheap, I mean really cheap, £20 pounds a night, so was not expecting 5 star. Location is good, and it looks nice from the outside. Inside is very, very tired, looks, and is, run down, corridors and common areas are threadbare, and grubby, though not actually unclean. Rooms are likewise, paint peeling, wallpaper peeling, walls grubby, windows rotting. Bed and towels were clean, and room warm. Breakfast was actually not bad, it's a buffet, and although a bit basic it was well cooked and plenty of it. Ideally the place needs complete refurbishment, and it could be a great place. So if you are on a VERY tight budget it may do, but for an extra few quid there is plenty of choice is this lovely Highland village.

Room Tip: Really only stay here if you have no other choice.
1  Thank SanJuan1968

Thank you for your comments, i have passed them on to our maitenance team who will look into them.
Once again thank you

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I reserved this accommodation within 24 hours, upon arrival; I was quick to notice its faults. When entering the fire door into the stair well 'no lift,' a employee was painting above the door frame; the condition of the walls: patched holes, peeling wall paper, discolored areas. When entering my room "40," I thought I was in a motel instead of a hotel; the following issues were found: Single bed mattress 'old & dirty, no sheets-only a bed cover "condom", Walls: dirty, graffiti, wall paper peeling. Furniture: abrasions. Mirrors: chipped. Bathroom: Toilet not cleaned, Urine and pubic hair on rim, seat appeared dirty, Hand soap reused 'I inspected it,' Always tear your packaging! 5 mins to get hot water in the sink, you have to turn sideways between the sink and the toilet paper dispenser to use the toilet. Shower: mold/mildew on sealant, mold on shower mat, previous occupants body hair on shower walls/ floor, low water pressure, it took 5 mins approximate to get warm water; shower is still leaking approximately 40 mins after testing it. Window: No working lock, rotten wooden frame. Bed: Old dirty mattress, cover/sheet separation, I think even the pillow cases were dirty, my eyes are now blood shot 'warning sign of pink eye' No alarm clock btw and, I wouldn't trust the kettle and cup/spoon. Food is basic, I would hate to see the kitchen!

4  Thank Micheal F

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments as even bad ones can let us know where we still need to improve, we apologise to you for the room you were given - if at the time you had told us you were un happy with the room we would have moved you to another room - Once again we apologise to you as the room should not have been sold

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ullapool
Argyll Hotel
#1 of 1 in Drumbeg
Shieldaig Lodge
Shieldaig Lodge
#1 of 5 in Gairloch

Been to Caledonian Hotel? Share your experiences!