“Very good place for dinner in Ullapool”
Review of The Ceilidh Place

The Ceilidh Place
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Ullapool
Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
“Very good place for dinner in Ullapool”
Reviewed September 6, 2009

We did not stay at the hotel but went to the restaurant a couple of times for dinner, so this is this part that I am reviewing. The restaurant offers very good meals at a reasonable price, in a pleasant and casual atmosphere. We would happily return.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
UK
Reviewed August 29, 2009

We didn't stay here, thank goodness, but did eat in the restaurant and do NOT recommend it. Everywhere else was full and now we know why the Ceilidh Place was almost empty in the middle of August. The place stank of fish. The menu was uninspiring and the three of us chose what amounted to an indifferent lamb stew consisting of pieces of gristly stringy meat in a warm, not hot, gravy with a few pieces of potato and even fewer pieces of carrot. Dining was not much of an experience at a battered table, on an uneven floor that made the chairs wobble and a view of a garden full of weeds with a cat doing its business. We paid £43.50 for the one course and the four diners didn't look too happy with their meal either. A total rip off.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nessie-M

Travelers are raving about these Ullapool hotels

Edinburgh
Reviewed August 13, 2009

Myself and my partner stopped at the Celidh Place as our last stop on a short tour of the northwest highlands, on a recommendation from the proprietor of another establishment that we thoroughly enjoyed on our trip. The Celidh Place did not live upto the recommendation. It has to be said that the downstairs facilities were modern and fine. The room on the other hand was dated, with dirty marks on walls and poor attention to detail on cleanliness; cobwebs and dust in corners and cracks. The bed itself was clean if rather aged in the mattress department. Arriving at the last minute meant that only a room with shared facilities was available, and the bathroon with toilet sink and bath could only be described as "mingin'" mouldy carpets and damp wallpaper with tiles departing the wall, combining all of this with the lounge and kitchen (with honesty bar!!) created a totally bizzare sort of 'upmarket' hostel feel. It's fair to say that we would not have stayed here if it were not for the fact that the rest of Ullapool was full, presumably this mid-season supply & demand situation provided the justification for the excessive £48 p.p.p.n B&B rate for a hostel standard room. Given the recommendation we were given, it may well be that you would have a better experience in one of the en-suite rooms but on our experience head further off the beaten track if you want better quality at better prices in the NW highlands.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bothlyn
Edinburgh
Reviewed August 13, 2009

We thought we were lucky to get room at short notice at high season - now we know why this place had vacancies when the rest of Ullapool was fully booked. TOTAL RIP OFF!!! £95 for VERY shabby and basic bedroom and shared bathroom (between atleast four double rooms I may add!) Our shared bathroom had a badly stained carpet, the bath was stained yellow and was cracked all the way along the side. The brown hairy mat on the floor was no doubt hiding a multitude of sins. It was so bad we didn't even wash before leaving the following morning. The ground floor and reception was quite presentable however upstairs the general state of the hotel was poor, there was a real mish mash of furniture, pictures and ornaments. Pretty much all of it was old, stained AND faded. The cooked breakfast had been under a hot plate for a while - I didn't have it but my parnter did - he vomited his entire breakfast up that evening and is still unwell as I write this the following day... Needless to say when we checked out the receptionist looked blank when we passed on our feedback - this is the kind of hotel that doesn't bother trying because the location pulls the punters in. I felt like throwing my shoes and clothes away it was so bad - you'd need to pay me to stay in this dump again! You have been warned!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank minibabybelle28
Ullapool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I never stayed in the hotel but last week myself and my mother went to the Celidh place for lunch. It was about 3pm and not overly busy but I have never been anywhere that I have had such useless service in my life!! We went in and ordered our food at the counter as we were supposed to along with 2 cokes. About 5 mins after ordering the waitress came out to say one of the things was not availible which was fair enough I ordered again, Then about 5 mins after that she came out again to say that was not availible either. In the end we ordered 2 sandwiches which was fine and the server said she would return with our drinks. After 25 mins we eventually got our sandwiches and still no drinks so I said to the server I will go into the bar to collect the drinks myself but she abruptly told me to sit down and that she would bring them. I had to stop eating my sandwich half way through as I was thirsty so sat and waited over 5 mins for our cokes to eventually arrive by that time my toasted sandwich was cold along with my feelings towards the Celidh Place. I was really dissapointed with my experience there. I myself work in the tourism indusrty and have people asking me every day where to go for a nice meal in Ullapool and I can honestly say I will definately be putting people off going there. If you dont mind waiting all day for a sub standard sandwich served by rude dissorganised waiting staff and are not wanting to drink anything then this is the place to go!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank mags1981
Inverness
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Initially I was a bit apprehensive by this fairly pricy (£110) inn with no hairdryer in the room or shower in the ensuite, but it has a real charm which quickly grew on me. The room was clean and comfortable. There was a bath in the ensuite but a shower room was available just down the hall and dressing gowns were available in the room for this. It did make me feel like I was staying in somebody's house popping down the hall to see if the shower was free and half expecting someone to knock on the door and ask if I was done! The shower was clean however. The sink in our ensuite had a leaking tap which had obviously been ignored for a while. It didn't cause us any problems as you couldn't hear it through the door of the ensuite but they should really fix the little things. All the tea facilities are in a shared kitchen and lounge area with free wi-fi. This was the best bit of the stay; making your own tea and snuggling down on a sofa with your shoes off - just like home. We only had breakfast in the restaurant which was very tasty and filling. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to anyone wanting a slightly different type of hotel experience.

northampton
Reviewed July 27, 2009

What a fantastic place. The concept is 5 star. The shared lounge with kitchen is beautiful. Very relaxing and the free wi fi was easy to use. I could have spent my holiday relaxing in that one room. The bedroom itself was rustic and clean. Very Romantic. I have traveled a great deal on business over many years. I have stayed at 5 stars hotels, and this is much better. I suspect for the travel inn generation in might be a bit too out of the ordinary. But we loved it. You might have stayed at nice hotels before but this will really make you blow you away.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ullapool
Argyll Hotel
#2 of 4 in Garve
Morefield Motel
Morefield Motel
#2 of 6 in Ullapool

Been to The Ceilidh Place? Share your experiences!