“Up Itself” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ceilidh Place

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ullapool
The Ceilidh Place
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Ullapool
Lochinver
“Up Itself”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

The only place in Ullapool where I felt I was of less importance than the staff. Which is such a pity because it's a beautiful place with a great bookshop. Just got the impression that it lacked good management. Sat waiting for too long for our order to be taken with 7 members of staff in view available. The bar also was a shambles with advertised cask beer not on.

Also interesting to note that no-one from this establishment ever replies to the comments on this site. Get the impression that they don't give a toss. That's the feeling that I left with.

4 Thank kampos1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Middleton Cheney, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

If you're sick of the ubiquitous 'blossom hill' and wine on tap in certain pubs then come here - you'll get a decent choice at a decent price and can relax in the bar or on the terrace. You'll also get a nice coffee properly prepared and a homemade cake... not to mention great evening entertainment. On the downside what used to be a very well maintained place has slipped in recent years. They need to look into a refurb in order to pull the standards back up to what it used to be...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dawnc22
Edinburgh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

It pains me to say this, but what was once a decent place about 4-5 years ago is now just overpriced, badly maintained and there's a general "arrogance" about they way they treat you as a resident.

The hotel itself is very poorly maintained and I would go as far as to say quite dirty in many places. The owners/management are by far and away the poorest part of the operation. With the exception of one lady, I found them to be clueless in how to run things.

I was doing a 4 day trip in Ullapool area and called to make a booking. On taking my booking, there was a complete lack of knowledge about what rooms they had available. I had to call twice to get confirmation of which room I was supposed to be booked into. They never called me back. I had two other hotels booked very efficiently and sorted. When I arrived in Ullapool, I still had no response from them so I went to the hotel in person. One of the management had no idea about my booking, the other thought I was booked in for two nights on days I wasn't there. The third had to "make a call". I found the attitude somewhat offhand and "couldn't be bothered" to be fair. They were more concerned about a book festival. To be fair, one lady, after things were sorted out was reasonably pleasant...BUT...I would not class this as "hotel class" courtesy.

As an example of how bad the service is, try phoning and making a booking for yourself. If you don't get an answering machine, you invariably get someone who sounds harassed on the phone and I was left feeling that I was in the bad books for having the cheek to call and ask for a room.

After the debacle of my booking was sorted I went away on my trip. When I came to check in at the hotel, I had called before to tell them I would be arriving late. It was an answering machine. On arrival, there was a piece of paper on the reception desk that tells you to go to the bar and check in there. This notice is obviously there all the time as it was well used, but this speaks volumes for the level of courtesy shown to guests at check in.

So...to the bar to check in. This was simply shocking the way it was handled. The barman just went about serving people. It was actually one of the guests who came up and saw I was waiting to check in. She was one of the authors at the book festival and thought I was a late arrival for her party. She went into the kitchen and informed one of the chefs that I was waiting to be booked in. 15 minutes later, a waiter came out and said someone would be with me in a minute. Another 15 minutes later and he came out again and said someone would be with me. 5 minutes later and a woman with short blonde hair, carrying a tray of sandwiches came and said "are you needing booked in?" She then walked away with the sandwiches and set them on a table. Then she came back and said follow me. I was asked if I had been before, which I said I had. The reply was "you'll know where your room is then". Then she asked questions about my car, make, where it was parked etc. Then rather cheekily told me it's in case they get complaints about your car, or the car alarm goes off. Note, there is no hotel car park. It's all on street parking.

So to the room. A small room with a dirty bathroom and small bed. Dirty windows, dirty carpets, dirty walls. Peeling paint and generally not clean. The bed linen was clean. No tea, coffee, biscuits etc. You have to use the guests lounge which means making your coffee and taking it back to your room. The lounge was abismaly stocked - 3-4 bottles of beer, lots of tea and some coffee. It's an honesty bar apparently. Looking at the honesty stub where yoi write down what you had, only one person had been in and used it. so either it was poorly stocked or lots of people had not been signing for what they took.

Special note aout the bathroom. Don't turn the light on at night if you want a shower. The beer garden will see you as well as everyone on the street. There's just a see through curtain to spare your modesty. There is no sink in the bathroom - it's in the bedroom. So, you have to go through to your room to wash your hands? Really?

Breakfast. The room was just plain cold. Some tables set, others not. There was a wet floor sign and a pool of water in the middle of the room. The staff were just walking round it. There were only 4 people in for breakfast and other staff wandering about ignoring it. Breakfast itself was cooked which was not too bad, but delivered in stages. In general, no management or direction of any kind.

The waiting staff were very pleasant it has to be said but they juts had no idea what they were supposed to do. However, the staff "uniforms" were just awful. Well worn black Ceilidh Place t-shirts that over a sweatshirt. More like something you would expect in a standard bar. Very bad advert for any hotel.

Checkout: Just a could not care less attitude. I would have given 2 stars but the "cheerio" was absent. Not so much a single question about did you enjoy your stay, was your breakfast ok? Nothing. Just "sign there" for the bill.

Would I recommend the Ceilidh Place. No.

Room Tip: Don't choose room number 2. The bathroom has a see through curtain. People can see you shower or...
9 Thank GuruboyEdinburgh

Travelers are raving about these Ullapool hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Had dinner here. Booked for 8pm and when arrived half the menu had been crossed out. We chose from the limited availability but found it expensive for what we had. The wines were also expensive. The young staff were very pleasant. Hope this is not the best that Ullapool can offer.

Stayed May 2013
3 Thank David B
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Have been here a few times over the years as this has been a favourite stop for the atmosphere and area. However, the hotel is grossly overpriced for the level of service ( very poor) and lack of management. Not so much as a single, how was your room, your meal etc. In fact, I would go as far as to say the management were a touch arrogant. The blonde haired woman we found to be a touch aloof.

I am skeptical about the 5 star reviews. Maybe people speaking from their hearts or something else. There is simply no way at all that this is a 5 star hotel.

The decor of the hotel itself is very poor and dirty in places. There has clearly been almost no investment in the upkeep and what there was was slap dash. For example, in the restaurant, the windows have been painted on he outside and there is a large brush stroke of white paint on the window. Maybe the painter was on the whisky?

Dirty carpets everywhere and I mean filthy. On the stairs on the way up to the rooms, they are a terrible state. Not clean and loose. Generally,the hotel is dirty and poorly maintained.

Rooms were not worthy of the tariff by a long shot. Bathroom faced the Main Street with a net curtain. This means that when it is dark, people can see you from the street or the beer garden below if you need to switch the light on to use the toilet, or have a shower. Basically, you have to use the bathroom in the dark to have any privacy.

The bathroom smells of damp, the walls are peeling and don't appear to have been cleaned for some time. Dirt in the corners, cobwebs. There was also a "communal" bar of soap. By this I don't mean in a wrapper, simply a bar of soap that was used many times.

There is a guest lounge "honesty bar" which is something we couldn't quite decide about. On the one hand, it keeps stuff out of the room. On the other it means no tea, coffee etc in your room an I someone has taken al the biscuits, then you're out of luck.

The staff are mainly students and travellers. They do their best, but there is just no management at all. No one is showing them what to do. Stuff gets left sitting etc.

On the plus side, the location is excellent and the breakfast was cooked to order.

Compared to the other hotels we stayed in, the Ceilidh place was not in the same league and actually more expensive.

Generally, the owners/management give the impression they can't be bothered with running a hotel. Extremely disappointing.

6 Thank Ge0Ben
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Ceilidh Place, a slightly rambling white painted building with a great view is situated on a side street of this pleasant Highland town. The decor is in a somewhat 1960s/70s time warp, but adds to the charm of what is a very good and rather unique small hotel. Individually decorated bedrooms, mercifully free of televisions, all have high quality radios and individually chosen books adding to their characters. There is an extremely comfortable upstairs residents lounge with an honesty bar, library and walls covered with art - and again free of television and piped music. The hotel boasts a central bar-restaurant which serves as an all day cafe, then converts to an attractive lively restaurant for dinner with a good locally sourced menu which the chefs provide with skill and panache. Great Scottish breakfasts are provided in a separate room, Service is provided by pleasant, attentive and articulate young staff and reception too could not be bettered. A bonus to the hotel is a small, but very well stocked bookshop which opens right off the bar-restaurant. This is a great place to stay for a few days.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jasperco
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Just returned from one night at the little gem that the Ceilidh Place is! We planned to do some walking but the lure of the relaxing sanctuary of The Ceilidh Place was too much to resist. Fluffy robes, suki tea, quality reading material in our haven of a room. Fantastically comfortable bed with lovely sheets left us feeling rested and relaxed. Beautiful soaps and hair products! I had to buy some! We loved the lounge which has a pantry off where you help yourself to a fabulous array of suki teas and lovely coffees. The quality and attention to detail is second to none. Breakfast was delicious - french toast, bacon, mushrooms and maple syrup. Delish. Just as well we made it for a walk today. I highly recommend a bit of rest and relaxation here. We will be back. The staff were all very welcoming and helpful.

Room Tip: We had a room to the front which was great to see the changing weather. Handy too to head to the pa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mo S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ullapool
Argyll Hotel
#1 of 3 in Lochinver
Morefield Motel
Morefield Motel
#2 of 6 in Ullapool

Been to The Ceilidh Place? Share your experiences!