“Lovely atmosphere”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Ullapool
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We had a lovely meal here .The ambience is very good, busy without overdoing it.Staff were lovely too, attentive and friendly. Great variety of meals, some traditional (burger and chips) some unusual (sausage and bean casserole was fantastic)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Rural Northamptonshire
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Great eatery that has just got it right we thought...(didn't stay here as we had rented a barn conversion in the town - See Western House B&B across the road (Coleen and Richard Lindsay)for details of that, recommended!!)
Lunch menu : not huge portions, priced just right and tasty. Salmon cakes recommended. Staff excellent and well trained.Good choice of wines and beers, local brews etc. Atmosphere great, esp in the evenings when there's a bit of buzz. We had a marvellous bit of hake on properly seasoned spinachy mash and a super cream sauce, very very yummy. Does the usual seafood. Plates of prawns wafted past, bowls of mussels too. Deceptively roomy inside. Simple wooden floors and tables, cosy woodburner. Has a nice bookshop where you can sit and browse possible purchases. We ate there three times, all great!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I was travelling the highlands of Scotland with my boyfriend last week and I had read somewhere that this was a quirky hotel with nice touches in the room. I was excited to check it out so we arrived one evening after a long day's driving and went into the reception area.
After keeping us waiting for a while before acknowledging we were there I asked if she had any double rooms available. She said there was one BUT (her emphasis was on the word "but") it was 100 pound a night. Without waiting for my response she said "Yes I know I'd say that is out of your budget". She then proceeded to recommend 3 other B&Bs in the area that she said "would be more within our budget".
What a dangerous assumption to make about 2 people looking to check in to your hotel.
I was so stunned by her insults that I did not make any further comment, thanked her, and checked into a B&B across the road.
For her to look at us for no more than a few seconds and somehow come to the conclusion that our budget for the night was not 50 pound each was insulting, incorrect, prejudice (to what, I don't know - my hair, clothes height??) and, very untypical of what I had expected from anyone - especially working in hospitality!!!
So the room (that was apparently too expensive for us) was not occupied that night and, for me, was the only dissapointing feature of an 8 day trip to beautiful Scotland and its beautiful people.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Ullapool hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I recently stayed at this Hotel for a friend's birthday with a large group of friends. It is a gem of a Hotel. The room was very comfortable and the bed great but my ensuite only had a bath which I believe some others also do ,so you may want to ask on booking if you prefer a shower. For me coming back after a long day of walking and having a bath was very relaxing. They have nice touches, in the rooms they have a variety of books. and although there is no tea and coffee in the rooms there is a lovely lounge with a small kitchen with free teas, coffees and a small fridge if you want to store some of your own drinks. The food was delicious, we especially loved the locally smoked salmon and oat cakes. The service was friendly and very good. The dinner, bed and breakfast rate was tremendous value for money. I have no hesitation in recommending this Hotel and will return with my husband at a future date.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I recently spent a wonderful weekend at the Ceilidh Place in Ullapool with a big group of friends and it’s not easy to decide what aspect of it I enjoyed the most. The service was wonderful throughout the weekend – and we enjoyed great local produce (like seafood and venison) for breakfast, dinner and the hotel even made delicious packed lunches for us to enjoy during a long coastal walk on the Saturday. The atmosphere in the hotel was so warm and relaxing. We enjoyed music in the bar downstairs, and a snug guest lounge upstairs with a beautiful selection of books and paintings to browse – or simply gazed out the window to the stunning landscape surrounding the hotel and the little town of Ullapool. It was all beautiful, and I really didn’t want to leave!

Room Tip: I enjoyed my twin room with en suite bathroom - the bed was super comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Ullapool, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stopped over here for a night in mid-December and couldn't have been made to feel more welcome. It's a wonderful spot, the kind of place you don't want to leave: roaring log fire in the restaurant / coffee shop, with hot drinks, soup, home baking etc available all day; bookshop on hand for browsing; and if you're staying in the hotel, really delightful rooms with crisp, white sheets and a large guest lounge full of comfy sofas, interesting reading material and original character. The evening meal was very good, and there was loads of choice at breakfast the next morning too. Five stars. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have a wonderful view down Loch Broom and the road outside is quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Biggar, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2012

we stayed here in september for one night before catching the ferry.
we were in the bunk house and it was fab. the rooms were warm, clean and comfortable.
the staff were very friendly and helpful.
we plan to stay here again next year. :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ullapool
Caledonian Hotel