“Great food and superb service”
Review of The Golf Inn

The Golf Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Gullane B&B and Inns
Market Drayton, United Kingdom
“Great food and superb service”
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

We ate here based on two recommendations and I would certainly come back. The menu offered great flavours and great value but what really made it was the service. Bar meals are also available which offers even greater choice. My desert however was a little disappointing.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Sarah H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Edinburgh
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

I took my wife and daughter along to the Golf Inn tonight for a meal. We tried last weekend but it was booked out so I rebooked first thing on Monday morning and secured a table. The place was quite quiet when we arrived but it soon filled up.
I have to say that from the minute we walked in we could feel a change from the previous owners. We were immediately welcomed and spent the rest of our visit raining compliments down on the change of ambiance, decor, food and service. Wee had two courses each plus drinks before dinner and wine and the whole lot was under £60. Fantastic.
The Golf Inn has filled a niche in Gullane's offer for locals and tourists. Get yourself down there before their accountant discovers what amazing value for money this is.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank HotdogScotland
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

We called in on Sunday after the place down the street couldn't accommodate us as they were too busy. Glad we do as the afternoon tea was great! Loose leaf tea and excellent scones with some of the best jam I have tasted for a while. Only minus was the oatcakes which I had as bread replacement with my soup were a little past it. A small minus in an otherwise great tea. Recently refurbished and new management. I think it will do well.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank BigJock2
North Berwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

The food was outstanding. The haggis bon bons with whiskey mayo were delicious - could really taste the whiskey . Husband had the mutton broth which was so obviously homemade. Both main courses were also delicious - feather blade of beef and homemade burger- and beautifully presented. So full I couldn't manage a sweet but hubby had sticky toffee pudding. Coffee is served with homemade truffles. The bill including a large glass of merlot and paint of lager shandy was only £50 . The staff and service were excellent too. Will certainly be back very soon!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elizabeth S
Nikki J, General Manager at The Golf Inn, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for your lovely review and delighted to read that you enjoyed your meal and time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back ,hopefully in the near future.

Many thanks

Nikki
Gullane
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Despite living locally we haven't been in for a few years but were prompted by the recent change of ownership to give it a go. We ate from the a la carte menu in the restaurant( there is a bar menu which looks good) which has obviously been put together without the knowledge of the chef's accountant. There is a small menu( 3 per course) but it looks original and interesting. The delivery is sensational; innovative food excellently presented and tasting like heaven; all served by happy staff who are clearly proud of their involvement in a great enterprise. The cost? £19.95. Not a typing mistake £19.95. You would pay 3/4 times the price in London for food not as good.

I may go back

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GullaneJoe
Good Evening,

Thank you so much for visiting us and thank you for your review. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your meal and time with us at The Golf Inn. We are very proud of what we are offering at The Golf Inn and we look forward to welcoming you back, we hope in the near future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Had an overnight stay on a 5pm voucher, excellent value for money, as the breakfast was superb and staff could not have been more helpful...5 stars to them all.
The room was ok, no view, but I didn't expect the best room at a reduced rate. Pillows could be better and the room could have used a couple of chairs, but beds, TV , loo, all fine. Water pressure very strange. Thanks to all staff!

Room Tip: Can't really say, ours was room 3 in main building.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank veronamore
Falkirk District, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We arrived at 2pm at The Golf Inn Gullane, and looking forward to our stay. I wish I had stayed at home due to the problems we encountered. First of all it was set up as a twin, when I had asked for a double, we did not unpack our case, but walked about the village, then walked on the beach as I was able to change my shoes to my walking boots as they were in the car. The sun shone and it was glorious, we then went back to the hotel around 5pm, where the same room was now a double. I was very dissapointed that I could not get a room with a bath as the manager said there were no baths in the rooms apart from the suite upstairs where 3 rooms share a bathroom, I am unable to take showers, so I could only wash at a very small handbasin, When my husband tried to lock the door from the inside as I wanted to undress, the lock was broken. My husband arrived in my room with the owner who apologised, but there was nothing he could do. I would of preferred to go home, but it was 7.30 pm on a Sat. night and we had a table booked for dinner at 8pm. I suggested he refund the £15 Saturday supplement and he did. I did not sllep well as Iknew our door was not locked, also the pillows were so soft I resorted to using my dressing gown as an extra pillow.Breakfast was very good and all the staff were very friendly, but I did not have a good time and will not be returning, We have stayed at the Goblin Ha and that was excellent, but I cannot recommend The Golf Inn at Gullane!!!

Room Tip: Chexk that the lock on your door is working, we stayed in room 2
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gullane
Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa
#4 of 5 in North Berwick
Maple Cottage
Maple Cottage
#1 of 5 in Gullane

Been to The Golf Inn? Share your experiences!