“Traditional pleasures”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gullane
Hampton, United Kingdom
“Traditional pleasures”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

It's always a treat to visit the beautiful Lutyens house that is Greywalls. On this occasion we were there for an Easter Sunday lunch with Grandma. As previously, we were ushered into an elegant, book-lined, lounge to fire our tastebuds with a dram of Ardbeg and to listen to the ivories being tinkled by an accomplished pianist (piano was slightly less in tune than our aperitifs it must be said). The meal in the Roux-managed restaurant was a triumph. I can't now remember what others chose, but my leek salad and 'panko' egg was marvellous and the roast beef that followed was equally well judged. Dessert involved sea-salt caramel ice-cream and tarte-tatin. What could have been nicer? The wine list too is a thing of beauty, featuring several bottles of note that do not require mortgage discussion. Service was excellent across the board and a post-prandial wander in the Jekyll-designed garden blew away the cobwebs a treat. We hope to be able to re-visit Greywalls many times again. Each visit is a joy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Diptych
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Guest

I am happy to say that we had the Piano tuners in last week so the Piano will be tune with the surroundings and service for your next visit.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My partner and myself always try to make a point of staying in a hotel on our anniversary and for our 13th year, with two grandmothers happy to look after our one-year-old, Greywalls was our choice. For two frazzled parents who needed a bit of peace and quiet, but also wanted a bit of luxury and to be looked after, this hotel was first rate.

Our traditional bedroom looked over the gardens which were beautiful, our bathroom was HUGE and stocked with Molton Brown products - we were more than happy. And the restaurant... I don't know where to begin. I had originally opted for Greywalls as I'm a big Roux fan and it didn't disappoint. It was all delicious but I highly recommend the blood orange souffle with verbana icecream. That itself was recommended by the waitress working that night who was knowledgable, beyond friendly and, along with who I think was the mâitre d', sourced and printed train details for us should we have chosen to go into Edinburgh the next day. That was followed by a surprise plate of petis fours to celebrate our anniversary. The excellent service extended everywhere - everyone made a point of making you feel welcome.

There were a few glitches - our bathroom door in room number 3 stuck a few times but we found it more amusing than anything. The Wi-Fi wasn't great but as we were there to relax and enjoy each others company, that barely bothered us. We also ordered room service a few times and on occasion, things were forgotten like salt, pepper, butter, etc. However, the moment I let them know, it was fixed very quickly and to be honest, I could probably do with less salt and butter.

We booked Greywalls as part of a special 50% deal and I very much doubt I'd be able to afford staying there on a normal priced night. However, should another deal pop up, I'll be up to Gullan in no time. In fact, my stay at Greywalls was so good, I might be tempted to save for an extra special occasion. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank journobrown
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review and I am glad you enjoyed your stay and it proved to be a tonic to your hectic lives. I hope to welcome you again soon.

Lincoln
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in many hotels over the years, some have great service, great rooms, great food etc.
Greywalls have every box ticked, the managers and their staff treated us superbly well, log fires, wonderful crockery, outstanding dining and a lovely warm room, turned down at night.
The gardens must look superb in the summer, our visit was in the winter so can onlyguess.
As a golfer I wanted to see a little more of Muirfield but gather this is not at all possible as it is a most private club.
Would I go back? Tomorrow!
Will I go back, of course, thank you all for a great couple of days and nights.
Pity your neighbours are not so welcoming.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DEPC
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of Greywalls and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at Greywalls again over Easter - using an online voucher which reduces the room rate considerably so worth watching out for! We'd had to move our booking at fairly short notice but they were very helpful and squeezed us in on Easter Sunday. We were forewarned we'd be in a cottage and initially I was disappointed. It was quite a dark room with a dreary view overlooking the staff car park - last time we had a view over Muirfield. But actually it was just fine - quiet,comfortable and very slightly shabby chic like many of the Greywalls rooms: you know the sort of thing: some lovely antique furniture and extravagent floral soft furnishings but also peeling paintwork. We shared our bathroom with a few ants and wood lice - didn't actually bother us though some might have preferred sole occupancy!
Dinner and breakfast were - as always - very much first rate in terms of quality of food, service etc. There's an extensive winelist with something for pretty much every budget and taste. At breakfast I had a fantastic Omelette Arnold Bennett, which I'd certainly recommend if you fancy a change from a full Scottish meatfest. The public rooms are lovely with great views from the dining room at breakfast - and the library is wonderfully cosy with a very welcoming roaring log fire.
I'm already looking forward to my next visit....

Room Tip: If you're keen on a golf course or Forth view, you may be wise to ask when booking - not all roo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MartinC132
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following you very recent stay with us. Easter weekend was very busy and as you say we always try and accommodate room requests when guests book with us but it is not always possible. I am glad you did enjoy the room and note your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Having dined at many top rate restaraunts in the Uk and further abroad, I was expecting great things from greywalls. I was not disappointed. All four of our courses were perfectly cooked with ample portion size. Combine that with a professional yet caring approach from the staff, and one is left with a intimate and thoroughly enjoyable dining experience. Overall outstanding.

• Stayed March 2013
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest

Your comments are very generous and kind. I will ensure they are passed on to all those involved and hope you see you again soon.

Bristol UK
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I first came across this place when marching across Muirfield in 1972 with Jacklin & Trevino. A friend who was standing in the hotel sunken garden waved me in for a refreshing glass or ten. I liked what I saw & vowed to return. nd so I did - In March 2012. Travelling with my wife, I had booked 2 night B&B + afternoon tea deal. Our flight into Edinburgh arrived quite early which meant we were in Gullane around 8am & dropped in - to try & leave our bags & check-in later after golf down the road. Leaving the bags was no problem, neither was staying for breakfast.
Our room (18) was very comfortable & probably what our US friends would call quaint. It suited
us though. Afternoon Tea was exceptional. The evening meal was (to be frank) a bit of a let down. It overpromised in terms of quality. The weather being so good for this trip, we just had to make a return, which we did with a friend in March 2013. And were able to enjoy the contrast between 18c & sun (golf in shirtsleeves) in 2012 with 1c (no sun, -4c windchill & sleet ruling out golf). Greywalls treats these extremes with panache. Our room (16) was again comfortable, Breakfasts delicious & the Evening meal superb. If I had to be picky, the method of bill calculation/allocation needs sharpening up.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us again at Greywalls and I am glad you enjoyed your trip. The weather has not been kind this March and last years heat of March seems a very distant memory. We have taken your comments on board regards the billing system and have changed this to help with clarity.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Enjoyed a celebratory tea here on a gloomy, cold day. We were sat at a table in a dining room overlooking the beautiful bare-bones winter garden. The friendly, attentive young waiter looked after us very well. My other-half decided to have the French afternoon tea (a hot savoury with a substantial salad garnish followed by lots of cake) whereas I chose the full afternoon tea, it was my birthday after all! Sandwiches, pistachio macaroon, gorgeous scones with jam and cream and more cake than anyone could possibly eat, all washed down with the tea (or coffee) of ones choice from the menu.

I have visited Grey Walls on a number of occasions, attracted mainly by the fabulous Lutyens architecture and the subtle 'country house' ambience. However the dining experience has improved tremendously in recent years - it just keeps getting better and better.

Highly recommended.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

I will be sure to pass on you comments to the waiter involved and thank you for taking the time to let us know your very kind comments. See you soon.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gullane
Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa
The Folly
The Folly
#5 of 5 in North Berwick
Carberry Tower Mansion House and Estate

Been to Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux? Share your experiences!