“The best restaraunt in Gullane”

Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gullane
“The best restaraunt in Gullane”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Having dined at many top rate restaraunts in the Uk and further abroad, I was expecting great things from greywalls. I was not disappointed. All four of our courses were perfectly cooked with ample portion size. Combine that with a professional yet caring approach from the staff, and one is left with a intimate and thoroughly enjoyable dining experience. Overall outstanding.

• Stayed March 2013
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest

Your comments are very generous and kind. I will ensure they are passed on to all those involved and hope you see you again soon.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Bristol UK
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I first came across this place when marching across Muirfield in 1972 with Jacklin & Trevino. A friend who was standing in the hotel sunken garden waved me in for a refreshing glass or ten. I liked what I saw & vowed to return. nd so I did - In March 2012. Travelling with my wife, I had booked 2 night B&B + afternoon tea deal. Our flight into Edinburgh arrived quite early which meant we were in Gullane around 8am & dropped in - to try & leave our bags & check-in later after golf down the road. Leaving the bags was no problem, neither was staying for breakfast.
Our room (18) was very comfortable & probably what our US friends would call quaint. It suited
us though. Afternoon Tea was exceptional. The evening meal was (to be frank) a bit of a let down. It overpromised in terms of quality. The weather being so good for this trip, we just had to make a return, which we did with a friend in March 2013. And were able to enjoy the contrast between 18c & sun (golf in shirtsleeves) in 2012 with 1c (no sun, -4c windchill & sleet ruling out golf). Greywalls treats these extremes with panache. Our room (16) was again comfortable, Breakfasts delicious & the Evening meal superb. If I had to be picky, the method of bill calculation/allocation needs sharpening up.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us again at Greywalls and I am glad you enjoyed your trip. The weather has not been kind this March and last years heat of March seems a very distant memory. We have taken your comments on board regards the billing system and have changed this to help with clarity.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Enjoyed a celebratory tea here on a gloomy, cold day. We were sat at a table in a dining room overlooking the beautiful bare-bones winter garden. The friendly, attentive young waiter looked after us very well. My other-half decided to have the French afternoon tea (a hot savoury with a substantial salad garnish followed by lots of cake) whereas I chose the full afternoon tea, it was my birthday after all! Sandwiches, pistachio macaroon, gorgeous scones with jam and cream and more cake than anyone could possibly eat, all washed down with the tea (or coffee) of ones choice from the menu.

I have visited Grey Walls on a number of occasions, attracted mainly by the fabulous Lutyens architecture and the subtle 'country house' ambience. However the dining experience has improved tremendously in recent years - it just keeps getting better and better.

Highly recommended.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

I will be sure to pass on you comments to the waiter involved and thank you for taking the time to let us know your very kind comments. See you soon.

Duffus
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Don't imagine that staying here will give you the tiniest chance of access to neighbouring Muirfield, unless you've already organised something. Open qualification is one good way, but if you're happy to just gaze across the hallowed acres, then you couldn't be better situated. As for the accommodation, ( comfortable and unostentatious ) staffing (discreet and friendly attentiveness ) and food, (excellent) all were what we had been expecting if not more so.

1 Thank palodegolf
Dear Guest

We are very fortunate to have such wonderful views of Muirfield and will be close to the action this July. Thank you for posting your review and hope to see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed at Greywalls for the weekend - what a fantastic place. Staff were helpful and attentive, our room was lovely, and most importantly the food was fantastic, breakfast and dinner. The only thing which could have been better was the weather! But that won't stop us going back.

1 Thank Kerryad876
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments and I am glad you enjoyed your stay in spite of the weather. Hopefully this means we will have a fantastic summer?!

glasgow
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Had wanted to stay here for ages so a special birthday came up and we duly paid £229 for DBB for one night (Sunday/mid-week offer).I just loved it the minute we arrived.No grey walls here but a beautiful historic building,with stunning gardens. It feels less like a hotel, more like staying in someone's posh ,intimate country house.
We had room 24 which had its own patio doors, little terrace and seat and was about 30yds from Muirfield's 10th tee - a superb location and what an outlook across the links to the sea.If you are a golf fan in particular, Greywalls and this area is heaven.
I thought the room was a decent size, with a comfy sofa and really beautifully appointed.Nice light modern colour scheme complemented by some fine old furniture.
We strolled round the gardens which were a delight, even in March.They must be something else in summer.(will just need to go back).
I could have spent hours browsing their stunning book collection - old classics and 'coffee table' golf books.I have already ordered one through Amazon.it was like having access to someone's fascinating old library.
Dinner was well done - at £30 a head for 5 courses( including nice canapes and petit fours) I think this is excellent value and the standard of cooking was very good.Not Michelin but really enjoyable food.
Some of the best scallops I've tasted, very big (not sliced in half as so many places seem to get away with) and beautifully cooked.My seabass came, surprisingly,with delicious baby octopus/squid(not mentioned in the menu).Chicken main course looked nice but my husband thought it was a bit bland.I chose Blood Orange souffle which was pleasant and light - the Verbena ice cream, though, was the highlight.The good thing is, you can chop and change between the set menu and the slightly more expensive A La Carte.
Wine was very good and the cheese course included very generous helpings from a trolley.Nice staff throughout - very professional but friendly.We forgot about our petit fours and the waiter hurried after us to our room to hand them in! I'm so glad he did because they were first class - some of the best I've tasted.
Muirfield Clubhouse is right next door, worth a look as it prepares to host the 2013 British Open.Gullane is a lovely village as so many are round here - try Falko's Austrian Cafe on the main street - impossible not to browse their homemade cakes (an understatement, works of art more like it) and not buy one or three.Nice walks onto the attractive beach too.Some of the houses round here are something else.The wealth!
My only minor criticism would be we (as tea junkies) had to ask for a hospitality tray and also fresh milk to make tea in our room. Soon forgotten.
We will be back.A gem.

Room Tip: Our room was no 24 beside Martin's Garden, in (I think) the Nursery Wing.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Guest

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to let us know. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future, perhaps when the weather takes a turn for the warmer.

Scotland
Reviewed March 22, 2013

An impressive Lutyens' building in a beautiful position overlooking Muirfield golf course and the Firth of Forth. The arrival welcome was friendly and the room was comfortable...although the mattress was much too soft for me.
The Chez Roux restaurant was the main attraction for our two night visit. It was almost excellent but not quite. During our stay we indulged in salmon with treacle, Isle of Mull scallops, Ravioli with skate, beef, venison and lemon sole....not all at once ! As expected in a top French restaurant the emphasis was on rich flavours rather than quantity but we did find the vegetable portions rather frugal and a third scallop would have been appreciated. Breakfasts were good although the full Scottish had mysteriously lost two ingredients. The wine list is extensive and rather pricey...from around £30 to over £4000 so be careful with your bin numbers. We missed having our own tea / coffee making facility in the room. After three attempts to attract room service on the first morning we gave up.
Our stay coincided with The Greywalls Work of Art exhibition at Gullane Art Gallery which was superb.

5 Thank WinstonGlasgow
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Your comments are appreciated and I will pass them on to the Chef and of course apologies your breakfast was short of two ingredients. We do provide complimentary hospitality trays on request and I am sorry you had difficulties in requesting this. The Art exhibition was a great success and I am glad you enjoyed it.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gullane
Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa
#5 of 5 in North Berwick
Bayswell Park Hotel
Bayswell Park Hotel
#2 of 3 in Dunbar

Been to Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux? Share your experiences!