“Loved it!!!”

Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gullane
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I have wanted to stay here for a few years, and absolutely loved our stay at this hotel. We spent a night here in between christmas and new year and can honestly say this is one of the best hotels I have stayed at.
We booked afternoon tea for our arrival. Our table was set up in the library right beside the fire which was lovely and relaxing after a long drive. We received a menu with the different selections of teas and coffees and were able to order whatever we wanted. The selection of treats was amazing, and everything was delicious, way too much for us to finish since we were having dinner later.
After tea we were then shown to our Cottage Room which was located at the entrance to the hotel drive. The room was a lovely size, with a connecting hall to a nice big bathroom. There were robes and slippers supplied, and molton brown toiletries. My only criticism would be that as these rooms are located a little bit away from the hotel you have to walk up and down the drive. This isnt a problem except for the fact that it is very mucky when wet. My suitcase, boots and shoes were covered in orange muck which isn't great. I couldnt wear my satin shoes to dinner at night or they would have been ruined.
We had a lovely evening meal chosing to dine from the A la Carte Menu, but there was also another cheaper menu available. The staff were attentive without being intrusive, and the food was delicious and decent sized portions. The apple sorbet in the 4 apple dessert plate was amazing. After dinner we headed back to the library to enjoy our drinks beside the fire.
Although the weather wasn't great when we were there, I can imagine the grounds must be beautiful in summer. There are beautiful views out to sea.
I would say most definately that the best thing about this hotel is the staff. From the warm welcome we received, to the friendly check out when leaving, everyone is keen to make sure you are enjoying your stay. We will definately return for a summer visit.

Room Tip: Cottage rooms are located outside the hotel, so you may prefer a room within the main building durin...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear Guest

I am glad that having wanted to stay here for so long, we were finally able to welcome you and that it met your expectations. Your comments are very kind and thank you for taking the time to let us know. We look forward to seeing you in the summer.

There are newer reviews for Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux

Reviewed January 25, 2013

One of the best small Hotels I have been to. Very cozy. Several library style lounges with cozy sofas, big fires and a piano player in the evening. Suberb service. Attentitive staff. Beautiful building and gardens. Rooms were a good size, warm with large beds. When I asked if there were tea/coffee facilities in the room, I was brought a tray with ground coffee, a cafetiere and fresh milk - very impressive.
The only slight let-down for me was the food. I was expecting more from the name Chez Roux. - maybe I was expecting too much. The food was good quality Scottish food.no complaints. I had faggxts (had to change this word. Tripadviser didn't like it) of Venison - but I was expecting a bit more a wow factor as I have had in the past in restaurants with the names of French Chefs Joel Robuchon and Alain Ducasse.
However I would say, Do go and enjoy this wonderful Hotel.

Room Tip: Choose one in the main Hotel as they aslo have rooms away from the Main building
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor and I am glad you enjoyed your stay at Greywalls. I am sorry Chez Roux did not meet your expectations. I would say that the the food in Chez Roux is French Country cooking, which we believe to offers good value to our guests and local residents. 'Somewhere you can come frequently without breaking the bank', as Mr Roux says. I hope to welcome you back to Greywalls again in the near future.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

The Greywalls Hotel is just lovely. If I won the lottery I'd buy it and live there. Everything about it is special. The building and grounds are classically stylish, warm and cosy in the winter and light and airy in the summer. It has the feel of a warm and welcoming home (albeint a bit bigger and posher than most of us live in!). The staff are friendly and attentive and nothing is too much trouble. The food is lovely. Our most recent trip was a post new year lunch with dear friends. We sat and caught up with pre lunch drinks next to a roaring fire in the sitting room. The meal was delicious - from the haggis balls to the meltingly tender venison. I'm not a golfer but the view across the links to the Forth and beyond to Fife was classic East Lothian. Afterwards a stroll round the gardens and a visit to see the chickens and the bee hives. As we left full of yummy lunch, the afternoon tea guests were arriving. I was sorely tempted to have a second time around!

For a special meal with people whose company you enjoy, I can't think of anywhere nicer than Greywalls. It's on my birthday wish list already. Go on, spoil yourself.

Room Tip: The lunch is great value, but we went for 2 course a la carte as we're not big pudding eaters. T...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank NBSue
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Lovely building, in beautiful grounds with very attentive staff. We popped in for a drink after being lucky enough to play Muirfiel ( its next door) The level of service is what I would expect for a guest, so it was great to experience this after just popping in. This was vouched for by a friend who was with us and who had previoulsy stayed at the hotel

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Crawfy&Lexy

Dear Guest

I am glad you enjoyed your brief visit to Greywalls and perhaps we can welcome you a staying guests next time?

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I was lucky enough to be invited to a birthday celebration here, and it was fabulous.
The rooms were spacious, warm and comfortable. The food was lovely. And the staff were amazing, helping us willingly with our daft plans for birthday madness.
We just loved it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CCowan

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments they are very much appreciated and will be passed on to all involved.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We booked the hotel for a Saturday night in order to relax before Christmas and we weren't disappointed. We arrived in the late afternoon, having been shopping in Edinburgh.. There is no reception as such, just extremely efficient and very welcoming staff who greet you in the hall as soon as you arrive. This meant that you really do feel that you are arriving in a country house rather than a hotel. We were shown up to our room which overlooked Muirfield golf course. It was warm and welcoming and the bathroom had Molten Brown toiletries! We went down to he library to have a drink before dinner. This was served with canapés and we had a relaxed drink accompanied by a pianist on the grand piano. Our meal Chez Roux was all we expected and more. A great night's sleep was followed by an excellent breakfast. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LMcC_11
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Dear Guest

Delighted to see you had such and enjoyable stay with us at Greywalls. I will pass on your comments to all involved and may I take this opportunity to wish you and husband a very Happy Christmas. We hope to see you in the New Year.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Our second visit this year and every bit as wonderful as the first. The service, rooms and food are superb. I was pleasantly surprised that even the garden at this time of year had plenty of interest and was so beautiful to stroll in.
This has become firm favourite and we look forward to many more visits.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank flying_rugs

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review and happy to read you enjoyed your stay so much. We strive to be consistent and it is very nice to see that your stay was as enjoyable as your first visit.

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gullane
Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Dunbar
Fairmont St Andrews
Fairmont St Andrews
#4 of 17 in St. Andrews

Been to Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux? Share your experiences!