Tripadvisor
Maho
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews lava rock maho beach palms grill ascot pub island view kids club ocean point mullet bay cook your own food bbq on the beach cool experience actual beach guest services greeted with a cold towel cobb salad lobby bar honest review
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Travelled tons and this is by far the worst hotel experience I have ever had. Sunwing needs to re-evaluate selling this property.

Rooms - renovated and clean. The main issue here is, if your room faces golf course side, you also have to smell and witness the churning waste filtration facing all balconies on this side. I could not even enjoy a drink on the balcony as felt so sick from the smell. And, not sure what the loud noises were from... sounded like huge air conditioners. This week construction as well so loud trucks and beeping.

Food - mediocre at best... just tried to get though it. Best for me was the Palms restaurant for lunch and the jerk chicken.

Illness - Group of 7 of us and so far 3 spent 24 hours with gastro symptoms. Apparently, so many were experiencing the same thing. They likely need to shut this resort down for a week to stop the spread. I spoke to several cab drivers that said it's always an issue with this resort

Front desk/management - I did try to speak to management about some of the issues however they didn't seem to be that interested. It was as if they have heard the same thing a million times and just eye rolled me away.

Room Service - nada

Beach - very windy since we have been here and our beach was non-existent.

Pool - there is only one pool and the liner is all wavy at the bottom - so strange - never experience anything like it! Just felt disgusting on your feet.

Entertainment - fun show just outside of the resort and inside casino across the road. Great singers and dancers!

Wait staff - most of them were great. Just the odd bar tender was a little grumpy - nothing a few tips didn't take care of.

Mullet Bay- short walk and beautiful! Bring your own beer/drinks from the room and sandwiches from the coffee shop. $7 per person for a chair and umbrella.

Coffee Shop - some days you can serve yourself, until another "outbreak" of the flu happened and then a table was put up to block you off and they would serve you at that point.

Asian restaurant - OMG so awful ...

The Point Restaurant - it was ok - fish dinner was cold both times. Creme Brule was good

Buffet - cant mess up an omlette and dinner was ok... just freaked out touching any of the serving spoons for fear of getting the "bug"

Spa and Gym - also didn't want to chance going to either of these

The island itself is beautiful... like ending on a positive note!

You work hard for your money - spent a little extra and go somewhere else! Seriously!!! DO NOT DO IT!

Room tip: if u feel the need to come here... get a room facing the pool. Less stench from the churning waste treatment
3  Thank 814tracyr
NadeigeMartelly, Management Representative at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear 814tracyr

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review regarding your stay at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa. We are disheartened to know that we missed the mark in meeting your expectations this time and left you disappointed.

Management is aware of the many points you've addressed; and yes, there has been a few reports of the stomach flu the past week, however, this type of virus is typical of, and peaks during winter, when travelers from cold weather and northern climates such as in the U.S. and Canada visit Sint Maarten. Many Caribbean resorts, schools and public areas sees activity peaking. Please know that the health and safety of our guests at Sonesta Resorts Sint Maarten is our priority and we do have very strict protocols and programs in place that are visible to guests, as well as enhanced programs being implemented by our staff behind the scenes, and we will continue to deploy these procedures to minimize the impact and spread amongst our guests and employees. Whether at our resort, or especially within any large resorts that have shared facilities, washing hands often, especially before meals, is the No. 1 way to prevent illness, at home or while traveling in any destination for that matter.

While we are pleased that you enjoyed some of our offerings, it is unfortunate and with a heavy heart that we were unable to meet all of your expectations at the resort at this time but do thank you for supporting our friendly island of Sint Maarten, and hope that we can welcome you back again.

Should you wish to discuss your experiences further, we ask that you please contact our guests relations manager Ms. Eloy at aeloy@sonestastmaarten.com with the hopes we can regain your faith in us again.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Sonesta Maho Beach Resort was badly damaged by Hurricane Irma and underwent 18 months of renovations and rebuilding. The rooms and public spaces have a nice airy look to them and I liked the layout of the room. The shower could be more enclosed but since I wasn't sharing the room, it didn't matter to me.
Check-in was fast and the staff was friendly.
The pool isn't huge but it's adequate for swimming a few laps - which was good as the waves were far too high to swim in the ocean - both at Maho and Mullet Beach - at least while I was there. It was also very windy. I'm not sure why Maho Beach is popular because I found the noise of planes landing and taking off to be anything but restful.
There are several restaurants but if you arrive on a weekend there will be no reservations available for dinner at the specialty restaurants which means you'll be eating at the Ocean Terrace Restaurant. The food quality is equal to a low end chain buffet, IMO and I only found a few items that I actually enjoyed. Even the lunch I had at the Grill was mediocre, at best. The Citrus Salad consisted of a few slices of orange and grapefruit plunked onto lettuce leaves, while the hamburger was average at best.
Cocktails were also not great. When I ordered a Mai Tai, what I got was basically some fruit punch with a smidge of alcohol in it. I didn't bother having any more drinks.
What would keep me from staying here for a longer period is that there's not much to do in this part of the island. The "town" consists of a few shops and restaurants and you're far from Philipsburg, Simson Bay and Marigot. The only other beach is at Mullet Bay - about 10 minutes walk. There just isn't much to do here, other than lie on a deck chair. Without a car, you're pretty well stuck and cabs are expensive. The 5 minute ride to the airport is USD 10.00. It's a nice resort but I would probably pick somewhere else to stay next time.

2  Thank Jurnee

Dear Jurnee,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review regarding your stay at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa. We appreciate the feedback and rest assured, management reads all reviews and takes guests' feedback seriously.

The Caribbean islands have been affected by unusual gusty winds and higher-than-normal waves due to high pressure on the Atlantic Ocean and cold front in North America.

While we are pleased that you found our resort nice for your short stay, we certainly hope that you will return and give us the opportunity again to deliver you with a more memorable experience. Thank you for supporting our friendly island of Sint Maarten, and hope that we can welcome you back again.

Should you wish to discuss your experiences further, please contact our guests relations manager Ms. Eloy at aeloy@sonestastmaarten.com.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I had such a memorable trip, I will definitely be back. Everyone was very nice there and there is so much to do at the resort, that you don't have to leave. The food was great and so were the drinks. The massage at the spa was awesome. They make you feel so welcomed, I was very impressed with the island, the people and this resort. Will be visiting again. I have absolutely no complaints at all.

4  Thank ShaunieBtheGreat

Dear ShaunieBtheGreat

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit your candid review regarding your stay at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa. We are thrilled to know that you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed all that we offer.

Thank you again for the kind words and we look forward to welcoming you again!

Management Representative, Sonesta Resorts Sint Maarten

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I have actually never left a review before, so this should speak loudly into our experience.
First let me say, the location was great. We loved watching the planes every day and walking to the beach occassionally to catch a closer look. We also took a short walk to Mullet beach which was also nice. The grounds themselves were maintained quite well. As many have mentioned, there was a sewage smell near the pool area.
Our check-in experience was absolutely horrific. My husband and I kept looking at each other during the process wondering if we were a part of some kind of joke. The front desk woman (name starts with a B) was SO incredibly rude. We weren't even greeted. She just brashly asked for our passports upon arrival. As she checked us in, there was an issue with our reservations through Travelocity. Instead of being helpful she was rolling her eyes and treated us as if we had intentionally made this mistake (which wasn't even our fault). Every encounter I had with this employee throughout our weeklong stay was met with inconvenience and a distinct eye roll.
We tried to make reservations for dinner at the Point on my birthday (our 2nd day there), stopping into he lobby after breakfast that morning. After many attempts at the kiosk, which never seemed to be working, I finally was able to reach the concierge, who was typically never at their desk. She told me to check back in 45 minutes to ensure our reservation. We went back every 45 minutes for about 4 hours straight. Finally I went to the front desk (where Ms "B" was working) who told me once again to come back in 45 minutes. Frustrated, I asked for a manager. He came out after 15 minutes or so. He was apologetic and promised that my Birthday reservations would be honored. We were shocked to find out when we got to the Point later that evening that we were not on "the list". Fortunately my husband spoke to one of the managers at the restaurant who let us in. The food at the Point was nothing to brag about, however they did bring me a nice dessert and our waiter sang me Happy Birthday (he had an amazing voice).
Our experience at Sonesta is not much different from many of the other negative reviewers on here. The service is horrible. I'm actually questioning the folks who have given positive reviews on here, because every time we hit the lobby, a restaurant on the grounds, or a bar, there was someone complaining about the service. One of our dinners at the buffet we served ourselves a pitcher of water and retrieved our own silverware after waiting 20 minutes for someone to wait on us. It was hit or miss on breakfast service. We were rarely given coffee and if we were, it was never refreshed.
I will say that Paul and several other employees at the Ascot Pub were spectacular, they made our experience bearable. We also enjoyed Edward at the lobby bar and Garfield from security.

Trip type: Traveled with family
6  Thank stephaniev398

Dear stephaniev398

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review regarding your stay at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa. We appreciate the recognition of Paul, Edward and Garfield and will be sure to let them know of the shoutouts.

We are disheartened that we didn't meet your expectations in our service areas. Management is aware of the many points you've addressed; and have discussed with those you referenced. Ms. 'B' is among our top front desk agents who exudes professionalism, so we are perplexed that this was not the experience you incurred.

It is with a heavy heart that we were unable to deliver your special requests the first time and you endured a few miscommunications. Our sincerest apologies for missing the mark there and hope we were able to turn it around for you. Thank you again for choosing to celebrate your birthday with us in Sint Maarten, and hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Happy Birthday again from all of us at Sonesta Resorts Sint Maarten!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

If you are plane crazy then this is THEY hotel. Regardless of construction work.

Breakfast buffet (if you get to sit by the fence) lets you have a view of maho beach and incoming aircraft.

Their take on all inclusive is easy to follow.
But you need to get acquainted with operating hours as not all restaurants are viable options.

If i could complain about one thing:
NO LOCAL RHUM.
I did not go to st maarten to drink captain morgan.

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank TransferTraveller

Dear TransferTraveller

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit your candid review regarding your stay at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa. We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay and we delivered you with an experience of great value.

We appreciate the feedback and please know that we do sell local rum in our shops and in town, from Guavaberry to Topper's, and there are also rum distillery tours available for the rum connoisseur. However, while occasionally we have a selection in our bars, this is something our food and beverage team has been looking into with local distributors to include and expand on options.

Thank you again for the kind words and we look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Management Representative, Sonesta Resorts Sint Maarten