Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
Good 3.5/5
  • Pool
The Summit Hotel(Cupecoy Bay)
Great 4.5/5
Average 3/5
Great 4.5/5
Average 3/5
4,164 results
All reviewsmaho beachascot pubpool barpalm grillplanes landingcolin kingmullet bayclose to the airportst maartenpoint restaurantpool viewgreat baygreat vacationfun to watchsister hotelfamily vacationall inclusive package
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 20, 2012

1st so everyone knows there is no beach at this resort. The beach has eroded. You can access the beach that is between Sunset Beach Bar but this is where the planes come in so it is great for viewing the planes coming & going. But beware between the caution signs for the blowing sand. We love watching the planes!
Especially on Friday. Saturday & Sunday afternoons
The resort has no beach chairs there
You can go to their other resort Great Bay by taxi at your own cost & get drinks food etc the same as you would at Maho.
I suggest taking a cab in the morning, enjoying the beach lunch etc then walking down the beach to Phillipsburg for the afternoon & dont forget a change of clothes. You should not walk around town in your bathing suits. Not really proper attire for town area
Cruise ship days are fun & busy
You can catch a cab back to Maho from the center of town
Remember no sales tax on items & the higher end jewelry & watch stores have great prices & will deal with you best deals around 4 or right before they close
Little Switzerland & Columbian Emeralds are located right at the center.
Do not miss the Guavaberry shop right on main street & get a Guavaberry colada
also the garlic scotch bonnet pepper sauce is the best

Food was good for all inclusive but if you want to go to one of the nices places men cannot wear sandals or flip flops & must have a collared shirt.
Your room should have a stocked mini-fridge in it & if it doesnt ask for one
We did & got water,sodas, & beer all the mportant stuff you need in the middle of the night.
No room service & also no restaurants are open after about 10
Overall the place needs some updating but the AC worked it was clean & had a balcony
so we were ok with that but not luxury or fancy

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank PenciaT
Reviewed December 17, 2012

When I booked the hotel through their website, they offered an unbelievable discount on their all-inclusive package. Depending how they booked the room, many guests selected the breakfast-only package. Because I chose the meal package, I ate all but two meals within the property.

Of the three meals I ate daily, the breakfast was the best. In addition to one option which rotates daily, the following breakfast items are always available... made-to-order omelets, french toast, pancakes, bacon & sausage, (highly addictive) smoked sausage, cereal, local fruits and yogurt.

Lunch and dinner varied daily. "Italian" day forced me to leave the property for both lunch and dinner. A couple Italian restaurants which were highly recommended by annual visitors to the island. Other than that day, I was contempt eating my meals on the property.

The property has a fine dining option which serves Italian cuisine whose menu never changed during my week's stay. Surprisingly, a collared shirt, shorts, shoes & socks were considered acceptable elegant wear. Although you will be allowed, wearing sandals will result in icy stares.

Unfortunately, housekeeping was a major disappointment. Most of my toiletries were never replaced. When I attempted to use the bath soap as hand soap, housekeeping placed it in the shower without replacing it with hand soap. As a result, I had no soap for the sink. I had asked the housekeeping on my floor to replace my soap with no success.

Another day, I returned to my hotel to discover there was no linens except for a hand towel which was used earlier in the day. I had to call housekeeping to request my linens to be replaced. This issue never occurred in other properties.

Prior to booking the reservation, I had signed up for Sonesta's TravelPass. As a member, I have free access to the property's WiFi. In an attempt to save on data roaming on my iPhone4, I looked forward to using the free WiFi during my stay. Majority of TravelPass members must not stay at the hotel for more than five days. When I was given a prepaid code for WiFi, I discovered it was only valid for five days. On the sixth day, I discovered the code had expired. When I was given a replacement code, that code was discovered to be valid for a day. Thus, I had to get a third access code for my final night.

Once I had access to a valid code for WiFi, I noticed I had to enter it multiple times. Whenever I leave and later re-enter the WiFi area, I would notice that the iPhone apps would not connect properly. To test my connection, I discovered a web search prompted me to re-enter the prepaid code.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Sant
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I would like to first say that I never usually give a review, but I think it is important to point out facts so that the next visitors know what to expect from this resort. Overall, this resort is A+ for its location. It has great views of the ocean, beach and incoming planes. The hotel property itself needs to make some improvements so that gets a C+. I know they are new to the all inclusive concept, so that could explain some of the minor bumps. Let me first say, we stayed for last week, 1 week SA-SA. Check in was fast, however this hotel will do the old bait and switch on you. We paid for an ocean view JR Suite in the Ocean Terrace, and we were given a room in the Sky Tower on the 3rd floor –Garden view.... No where in their website does it state these rooms are garden views... tried to work with Kevin at the front desk, he was very rude, showed me 2 other rooms, both filthy, one overlooked garbage dump.... After more arguing with him, I finally asked to speak with Manager, and am I glad I did. Colin was truly amazing!!! He corrected the situation, upgraded us to a beautiful room, with the view we were promised. He deserves so much praise! Now here are some things that I need to point out for future guests:

Sonesta Claims: Actual Truth:

Room Service No room service available

3 Restaurants to choose from Buffett open 7 days
Bfst is the exact same very day....
Lunch is awful
Dinner was ok, but you better like fish or
chicken leg/thigh because that is about it.

The Palms Grill is ONLY open for lunch

The Point is ONLY open for dinner, and it
is closed some nights no notice/sign. Just
wont open

Multiple Bars Only 4 bars – 3 of which close at 7pm or before
1 bar is open till 12am, and that is the lobby bar
No air....and crowded ugh...

Snacks Nothing to eat past 10pm.... and I mean nothing
Also in between time nothing open to eat either

Movies Under the Stars It is an old screen they pop up inside, next to the
air hockey and pool tables. The screen has multiple
tiny holes, and grainy quality

Nightly turn down service out of 7 nights, we got this twice

Mini Bar – Replenished Daily this too happens sometimes, we had to call to ask for
it at times, and they tend to forget some items (water)

Nightly Entertainment This place basically shuts down at 6pm, you will need
leave the property if you want music, etc.

Renovation Completed The 9th floor is still undergoing major construction, from
8am-4pm daily (and at time in the middle of the night)
you will hear LOUD drilling, hammering, etc. Buffett is
still undergoing construction

Friendly staff a small handful of the staff is friendly, the rest of them
act like you are bothering them when you ask for
anything. They even sigh and roll their eyes, when you
ask for a specialty drink (Maho or Miami Vice) that
requires some work

Miles of beaches It is one very, very short strip of beach. We walked over
to Mullet Bay and was so worth it (10 min walk)

Resort Pool 1) Prime Pool is next to sewage plant, and when the wind
hits, the smell is awful. They also need to have some
some type of a cover, so you dont have to see it. The
pool itself is AMAZING!.

2) Secondary pool, needs renovation. Only 2 umbrellas,
and the showers dont work. The view from the pool
way makes up for any flaw though.

During our stay, we were without water twice (both times after 11pm, the front desk acts like that is not an issue and made no apologies. Air conditioning is not great, it keeps you cool, but dont expect to it be strong. Also, very, very damp air in the room. The sheets/blankets actually felt damp due to the mositure in the room. The water in the toilet was murky.

This resort has the potential to be amazing given its location, but it needs to embrace the true all inclusive concept, that is: food/drinks available 24/7, water sports, activities nightly, live music. UPDATE ALL OF THE ROOMS. This could be the premier resort on the island.

Even after all is said, I would go back again now we know how to work around the imperfections. I am hoping that with 2013, they will improve and act as a true all inclusive property. Hats off again to Colin the manager, he saved our vacation and I am truly thankful. And for Kevin at the fornt desk, you need to take several Customer Service classes...so so very rude.....has no business working the front of the house.

Room Tip: Must ask for rennovated room, and ask for 7th floor or higher in the Sky Tower.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Yvette D
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I stayed at Sonesta Maho Beach December 2-16, 2012, and had a very positive experience. The hotel is located next to the airport, and very close to the famous Maho Beach where guests can watch the planes landing and taking off (a huge attraction there). Because the island is small, the major cities and other beaches are at a convenient distance from the hotel. I took the bus to travel to Philipsburg, and was pleased to have done so because I got to interact with the locals.

I had the chance to see a few rooms in the building which were really nice, and understood why the hotel was given a four-star rating. However, I was not lucky enough to be in one of those. Although very big and super clean, thanks to one of the most wonderful and reliable staff members I met there, Nora, my room was dated, and needed a good facelift. I felt I was going back to the 80's. The bed was very comfortable though, and I did not let the state of the rest of the furniture bother me too much. After all, I spent very little time there.

Most days, I was very happy to just stay at the hotel and take advantage of the outdoor facilities. The pool and its surroundings are absolutely beautiful. It's a paradise made even more enjoyable by "the god of kindness and cheerfulness", Miguel.

I was a bit reluctant to take the all-inclusive package because very often the food is the same, and people quickly get tired of eating the same thing over and over. However, it was not the case at Sonesta Maho Beach. The food was excellent. Because it is a large hotel, they are able to put on, buffet style, at the "Oceanview Terrace", a big variety of dishes for dinner, to satisfy all kinds of apetites. There is also a restaurant (The Point) that offers an "à la carte" menu for dinner as well. I ordered steak, and really liked it. I was a bit disappointed there though. Because it is a more classy place, I expected the wine to be better than the one they serve at the buffet, but it turned out to be the same. Oh well... Life is tough but I survived! As for lunch, "The Palms Grill", also offers its guests an "à la carte" menu. The food experience at Sonesta Maho Beach was really good, except for one or two staff members who showed signs of rudeness... but not Lorna!!! Lorna stood out by being exceptionally cheerful and courteous. She brings people around her to smile and even laugh.

Overall, in my humble opinion, it is the personality of people like Nora, Miguel and Lorna, and many others at Sonesta Maho Beach that make guests want to come back. And I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Real_Ottawa
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Well I can say the food was great and the same with the service. However its not 24 hrs but it didnt bother us except trying to find something to eat in the middle of the night, you have to go to mcdonalds or something by cab.
Watching the planes was very cool. the best spot is at the sunset bar a short wak but we found it expensive.
The water in the ocean and the pools was very warm. The service was just great,no waitting here. Maybe another time of the year it wouldnt be so prompt,as it was mid september when we went.Low season.
We rented a car for the day and toured the island. And we went on a cruise around the island which is a must do!!!!
Theres a grocery store right across the street which has everything incuding booze. I found this very convienant.
This is a place you must do at least once in your life.

Room Tip: try to get a room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple