“Super food at reasonable prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Crown Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Castle Douglas
Crown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Castle Douglas
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Super food at reasonable prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

We had dinner here one night while on holiday. The food was absolutely delicious, served quickly and by very friendly staff. If we are in the area again we will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

I have just stayed at the crown hotel with my wife and child. We arrived at the hotel and the front can do with some decorating. This was very easily
forgoten with the service the we received. The hotel has just been taken over by a young couple and they are trying there hardest. The bar was cosy and friendly
with staff and locals. The restaurant was open and we ate there one night and it was excellent I would highly recommend the food out of this world. This is a great hotel and I am sure this couple will succed here there are very helpful and nothing asked for is too much for them. I would recommend this hotel the most friendly and enjoyable place to stay. The best I have been too in a long time.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Leahtoby121
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

As of July 2010 this hotel is closed at present, until futher notice.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Inverness-shire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

I booked this hotel for myself and 2 colleagues for 3/4 nights. My first thoughts on arrival were "my god, why did I pay in advance," second thoughts were "my colleagues are going to kill me!!"

Horrible entrance with an ancient old carpet which looks like it's been there since they built the place. Signs on the doors advising any stains on the carpets must be paid for. I arrived approx 8.30pm and my colleague had already checked me in and gave my my key when I got there.

The bedroom was just big enough, very fussy outdated wallpaper everywhere and a horrible upside down beige lampshade which meant even with the main light on the room was very dull. Tiny wooden open cupboard as a wardrobe with a selection of every shops hanger to choose from. The bathroom was quite big and seemed very clean (apart from a bar of soap left in the soap dish from a prior guest with prior guest's hair still attached.) I settled down for the night but as could only get channel 3 on my tv decided to have an early night. Unfortunately although it's a reasonably good location (and not the fault of the hotel,) the fact that you've got boy racers roaring up and down the street all night and parking directly opposite my bedroom window (which isn't double glazed), made it extremely noisy and difficult to get to sleep!!
Breakfast was nice and is when we met Margaret, Pat and the chef who were all very accommodating and friendly. At breakfast I mentioned I'd had only the one channel and my colleague advised he'd had the same problem and when he asked the barman, the barman produced a 2nd remote for the sky box and advised, "we don' t leave them in the rooms because people steal them." Not sure why we were not told this on arrival but have suggested to Margaret guests are given the control on check in!

All in all, the place did grow on me, the staff were nice and friendly and seem to be making the best of a bad lot.

I should mention my colleagues did eat in the restaurant a couple of times and the chef proved to be very knowledegable and helpful and they say the food was lovely.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Jennybelle188
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2010

The Crown is a small 14 bedroom hotel which has an excellent restaurant and a lively bar.
You are made most welcome by the Manageress Margaret who is vey obliging.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ring4it
Livingston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2008

Recently taken over by a young couple who have started a long overdue redecoration of the hotel. The couple couldn't have been more pleasant. Our dinner on Saturday was excellent and I would recommend the Crown Hotel, Castle Douglas to anyone who wants an excellent meal. I am sure that when the decoration is complete this hotel will be worth an Excellent. Godd luck to the new owners they deserve to do well.

• Liked — Excellent dinner
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2007

i stayed at the Crown hotel in Castle Douglas in February,initially with my husband and three teenage chidren for a night, and then by myself for a further three nights while i had some family obligations to attend to.The rooms were pleasant and comfortable, and the triple room shared by my three teens was especially spacious.Our double bed was perhaps a bit small, and i was glad I only had my six footer husband there for one night, but to be fair that is often a problem for us due to his height.
However the best part of an already good stay was definitely the breakfast.Freshly cooked, great variety, and plenty of it-and served with a smile and a chat.As i was on my own for most of the stay i appreciated the fact that I could eat in the dining room without feeling self concious.I've stayed in a good few hotels and this breakfast surpassed all others!

• Liked — Fantastis breakfast
  • Disliked — Rather small bed
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in New Galloway
Bank of Fleet Hotel
Bank of Fleet Hotel
#2 of 3 in Gatehouse of Fleet

Been to Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!