“Very Pleasanr Stay”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Castle Douglas
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Very Pleasanr Stay”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Just spent 2 nights at the Urr Vally hotel and had a great time. Booked through Woucher and found the hotel to be a bit tired but very welcoming with bags of character. The bar area is so relaxing with the log fire burning and the food is absolutely spot on. We intended to go into Castle Douglas for the second night however with the food being so good we stayed at the cozy hotel bar and had another great meal. I also must mention all the staff who cannot do enough for you and are so genuine and friendly.
Without doubt we will be back for a second visit, pure value for money.
Graeme Campbell

1 Thank Graeme906

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Just back from a 2 night b&b stay - cheap deal from Wowcher. First impressions as you drive up the long, multi-potholed drive and when you go into the main reception area which smelled a bit musty really was 'what have I done?' Second impressions on arriving at our room was 'Really glad I didn't pay full whack for this'.

The hotel and the room was pretty dated, some of the furniture handles came off etc., the most important point is that it was clean. Walking from the main part of the hotel to the corridor our room was in (Rooms 1 to 5) was like walking from an icebox into an oven - it was lovely and warm.

The bed we slept in was beautifully clean and really comfortable. Had two nights great sleep - better than we do at home. There was a blanket at the foot of the bed which you could use if required (it was a bit retro – I am 62 and I remember my mother having one just like it in the fifties). We didn't need it though.

The shower – again a bit dated - it took ages for the hot water to come through and there wasn’t a great deal of pressure, but it did the job and fortunately the water didn’t go everywhere, because it was just a shower curtain above a shower tray, so I was happy.
We noticed that Room 3 had a separate bathroom & had a peek in when we saw the door open on the way to breakfast – it has a proper shower enclosure.

On our first night we had a bite to eat in the lounge before we went out – my husband just had soup and I had Galloway steak & gravy pie with chips – it was absolutely delicious. The breakfast on the first morning was OK – the usual – help yourself to juice & cereal & coffee etc. and then one of the waitresses will take your order for a cooked breakfast if you wish. I didn’t notice the little menu stands and when asked if I wanted a ‘Full’ breakfast I just said yes. There was so much on the plate however, I felt really bad as I had to leave half of it. I was much smarter the next morning & asked for a much lighter breakfast, which was fine.

The staff are really nice and one girl who was on the bar on our first night and serving in the restaurant the next two mornings had just started working there and she was really attentive & pleasant.

I think you have to remember this is an old building - it was one of the premier hotels in the area when my husband was growing up there. Previous reviews have said that the present owners are making efforts to renovate but these things take a lot of time and money. Perhaps some scented candles in the entrance area & just a little more attention to first impressions and making sure all the handles on wardrobes are screwed on properly, would make all the difference, especially in the short term.

However, all in all a great stay. We got everything the Wowcher promised, including the wine.

3 Thank jan-car-1
Houston, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This is an old hotel which needs a lot of upgrading. The room we were given was very small, but clean. It was also warm but the rest of the hotel was less so. The restaurant was cold in the evening but we had a lovely dinner in the bar beside a warm open fire. Breakfasts were good too and the staff were very pleasant. We booked as a special offer- its fair to say I wouldnt pay the full price. It is a good base for walking and seeing the surrounding area.

2 Thank 600Twinkletoes

Travelers are raving about these Castle Douglas hotels

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Absolute waste of a building! Double booked us so we got flung in the "cottage flat". She actually meant staff quarters. Smelly dog from reception followed us in to "flat". (which was actually someone's bedsit, with hairbrushes, cameras, chip pans dirty clothes all lying around). Woman at reception made this "cottage flat" out to be an upgrade from the actual hotel. 5 minutes in I told my wife to get back in car and we stayed at the Premier Inn in Dumfries. Shame because the grounds are quite pretty. Only good this about this hotel is the gate back to Glasgow.

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank mrhenderson1987
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Although building is old the owners and staff make up for this.

The accommodation was very clean warm and spacious and I had a super stay with my elderly mum. An upgrade to a family room on arrival was very nice to give us a little extra space and was not expected.

Breakfast is very tasty and plenty of it. Hotel is a super base to see all the countyside around.
It was good to see they also do plenty of wedding business along with murder nights

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank JIMW007
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Got my parents this as a gift from Go Groopie a 2 night stay including wine. Arrived only to be told there was no booking for them when I had already phoned up week before to confirm booking? Didn’t receive any wine on arrival, room was very small and for a double room only had one chair in it and above the chair was a shelf with a kettle on it very dangerous! Couldn’t move chair anywhere else as no space. Shower was freezing! Only thing that was good was the breakfast! Staff were pleasant enough but would never go back to this hotel.

4 Thank 12Angela34
Coatbridge, Scotland
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I got my partner a 2night stay off woucher. We drove up to the hotel and it was complete darkness. Not a light in the driveway at all. On arriving no bottle of wine given even tho it was meant to. Got told door was stiff and was hard to open. Only got given one key and got locked out 1st nite. Couldnt get in for half an hour. Complete joke of a place. Shower was terrible. Was very small standing area and the curtain was inside. The room was very small. Would never stay here again

• Stayed February 2014
#1 of 4 in Kirkcudbright
Clonyard House Hotel
Clonyard House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Dalbeattie

Been to The Urr Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!