“Average”

The Urr Valley Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Castle Douglas
“Average”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Average food - nothing too special. Pate for starter was tasty but was just like a lump of sausage meat. It was served with three dry oatcakes but because the pate was so hard you couldn't actually spread it onto it. Puddings a bit of a let down and had clearly just been pulled out of a box!

Staff seemed friendly enough although waitress started to clear our table whilst some of our party were still eating.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank 846travelercritic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I have nothing good whatsoever to say about my time spent in this hotel. The owners did not care one bit about the residents, complaints were not taken seriously and no effort was made to rectify the problems. Oh the problems, where do I start. Room was freezing, this is December, heating is needed! The rooms were very dated and had a unpleasant odour. The landlady was drunk every time I seen her and often displayed very inappropriate behaviour. The place is extremely short staffed, so no help was available as they were rushed off there feet. Food was edible but the atmosphere put me off it.
Castle Douglas itself is a lovely town and I plan on revisiting in the summer. I however would never stay in this hotel again!

7 Thank Laura_F555

Travelers are raving about these Castle Douglas hotels

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I thought I had entered a hostel for the homeless - the place was shabby and smelt of damp. The room we were shown was barely furnished, damp, cobwebbed with a dirty toilet. I wanted to leave there and then but my partner asked for another room. This room was bigger and although it too was shabby at least it did not smell of damp. I agreed to spend one night but would not use the shower - the grouting was black. The "dining room" had plastic chairs barely disguised by stretch covers' the place was freezing. I did not sleep a wink due to noisy guests. There is a notice stating that the hotel is undergoing refurbishment. However, it should be shut down and major renovations undertaken or just knocked down.

Room Tip: Do not set foot over the door.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Iona R
Lakeside, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Lady of the house was lovely and explained the hotel is undergoing renovation. Breakfast was good lovely waitress. Room very disappointing for the price, extremely run down and in desperate need of refurbishment but this was not reflected in the price. Exhaust fan cover in bathroom fell off revealing filthy filter, toilet bowl hadnt been cleaned, water pressure non existant in shower and had to use quilt off extra bed to pad the mattress to cover protruding springs.plus one very miserable man in attendance who shouldn't be in the hospitality business.

3 Thank taffie33
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My partner and I decided we needed a short break away before the stress of the Christmas season. We found an amazing deal on wowcher for this hotel which in included two nights with breakfast and a bottle of wine on arrival. Before going I read some horrible reviews but I tried not to let them put me off. On arrival we were amazed by the beautiful scenery surrounding the hotel. The grounds are lovely with great views and as it is away from main roads it is very peaceful. I agree with some other reviews that the hotel is not very modernised but I believe that gives it character. My partner and I were very pleased after asking for an upgrade to the bridal suite. The room was reasonably clean and fresh, there were only two small areas where I found dust. We were a little disappointed out room did not have a great view or a hot tub, but we were still happy to be in it. We found all the appliances to work fine and had a very comfy nights sleep in the bed. The room was always cosy. We found no trouble with using the WiFi after we found out you can ask for the password at reception. Every member of staff we met was very friendly and welcoming and helpful, especially the waitresses. We only had dinner and breakfast on one of the days but the food was tasty and filling. Overall we had a great few days break away and would love to return and see the hotel slowly rising as the new owners keep up with their work in progress. The hotel run Murder Mystery nights which seem appealing. The only fault with our holiday was the timing as many places we wanted to visit were closed for the season but this is obviously not the hotels fault and we can't wait to return in the better seasons!

2 Thank StephB101
London
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I stayed here last week and have booked again. The hotel in the past has some history, not being looked after and various other stories. It is however a beautiful old building in great grounds, ideal for dogs, families and walkers or just a couple. The new owners, first time in a hotel, have seen the potential and are trying to do something about it. I guess some reviews are correct but harsh. Maybe needed closing and a complete refurb and re opening but they are charging accordingly and trying to fulfill a dream which I hope comes to fruition. I did not find it dirty at all. I slept well and I had a meal, ok not a five star restaurant but adequate. I hope it works for them, in fact it's a project I too would love to take on. So being fair its comfortable, friendly and work in progress.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank Cassaloan
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Do yourself a favour and never stay at this hotel . The rooms are disgusting the carpets are filthy my daughter had white socks for five seconds until we entered the room the walls were tired and dated and the furniture was a total mismatch.
We went for dinner hardly had anything that they said they had on the menu!!!! They had a dessert menu that had 11 things on it and only had 4 things in stock, wasn't like hotel was busy although that doesn't surprise me in the least. Oh I forgot we had a steak and the chips and onion rings tasted like they had been cooked in oil that was about five years old totally disgusting!!!! And the chocolate fudge cake which my partner he thought it was a cross between a slice of best of both and a black pudding!!!!!
Then breakfast oh before breakfast tried to have a shower and whole shower head ended up in my hand. So I had to go to my daughters room for a shower which wasn't much better with a pink dated bathroom suite!!!!!
Then breakfast we'll guess what they ran out of haggis think there was only 6 people staying in hotel wasn't like it was busy!!!! Then the bacon was so hard and stiff it would have stood up on end on your plate or soled your shoe!!!!!! It was just totally disgusting altogether ! We had to leave and cut our stay well short one night was enough in the hotel of nightmares !!!!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 3 in Dalbeattie
Auchenlarie Holiday Park
Auchenlarie Holiday Park
#1 of 5 in Castle Douglas

Been to The Urr Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!