“A pleasant surprise”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Castle Douglas
Quarriers Village, Scotland
“A pleasant surprise”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed using a voucher which the new owners kindly honoured. Our room was a bit dated but was spotlessly clean and had all the amenities required apart from WIFI, but this was a very minor issue and was completely out of the new owners hands and down to the network provider. We were able to get WIFI elsewhere if needed. As for the previous comments about customer service in our experience we have nothing but praise for all the staff. Very friendly and helpful. The best thing about the hotel is the food and we thoroughly enjoyed our evening dinner and the wonderful breakfast that we enjoyed each morning. Definitely the best way to start the day. Overall we had a lovely time and in our opinion for what we paid it was an absolute bargain.

2 Thank Shecha035

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I booked this hotel back in May and had arranged to stay this weekend for the same price as the deal that had been running but finished the week before. When I phoned earlier in the week to confirm my booking I was told very abruptly that the hotel had changed hands and when I asked if that would be a problem again I was told abruptly "did I say that". I was told that the computer was playing up and that someone would call me back to confirm my booking. This was done very quickly and I was assured that I would get the room that I had requested. The only difference was that the new owner was not providing chocolates in the room which wasn't a problem. On trying to locate the hotel we asked a local retailer for directions and we were concerned by his response that the hotel had changed hands and he hoped they would treat us well !!! On arrival at the hotel we were shown to what seemed to be a nice room and we were quite happy until we couldn't get the internet to work which is advertised as free on their web page. When I spoke to reception I was told that there was no internet access at present and when I said that I should have been told this when I phoned for confirmation I was laughed at. I was later phoned in my room by the owner who again said that there was no internet access and what did I expect for the price. I pointed out that I only booked because of the internet access and her attitude was take it or leave it. I realise that there was nothing they could do to get internet access for us but there was no attempt on their part to understand that this was a service that they were offering their customers and at this time had failed to provide and they did not accept that this was a problem. We packed and left - not at all happy at having to travel 80 miles back home when we had planned a nice 2 night break there If the new owners want to make a go of this hotel they need to get some customer service training and quick. I haven't ever given a hotel that I have rated a bad review but this one deserves it.

8 Thank Kirstyanne108

Travelers are raving about these Castle Douglas hotels

Bonnybridge
Reviewed July 8, 2014

On arriving at the Douglas Arms you will almost certainly feel uncertain about what you have let yourself in for. BE NOT AFRAID your hosts will make all your fears disappear. Friendly, warm and genuine is perhaps the best way to describe them. When I consider how little time they have had to settle in all my wife and I can say is well done.

Room Tip: Ask for number 33 at the back
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John R
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We were apprehensive about visiting the Douglas Arms after reading some of the recent reviews. Having just spent two days here I would suspect that they were written by someone who has never stayed here and has another agenda.
Yes the building needs some love and attention...especially to urgently replace the missing name sign from the front of the hotel, and an upgrading of the bar would make this hotel a serious competitor to the other hotels in this busy and attractive town.
We were made most welcome, even though we were on a "deal" which was probably costing the hotel money and never once were treated any differently.
Our room was clean and spacious and the bathroom was spotless, with a selection of toiletries available. Tea and coffee were provided as was television and internet access.
Our deal included dinner, bed and breakfast and we both agreed that the quality and quantity of food was amazing. The selections of main meals provided something for all tastes and my steak and ale pie was outstanding, as was my starter of sticky chicken. The meal was rounded off with sticky toffee pudding....perfect. Well worth visiting the restaurant even if you aren't a guest
We had such a great time we are now planning our return visit.
If you do go, be sure to pop across the road to the Sulwath Brewery and sample some great beers and friendly local banter.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the front of the hotel at weekends as the local youths have car races along the main...
Clackmannan, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Had a lovely 2 day stay in this hotel. Friendly staff, comfortable room and highly recommend the food!!
Although we were there on a 'deal' we were able to choose our food from the hotel menu and specials board.
Definitely recommend

Glasgow
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

From my experience the only good thing about this hotel was the owner Lynsey. Sad to see that she is no longer there as the poor thing was doing her best to bring a crumbling hotel back to life. As for the previous review I think if you plan on introducing new "MANAGEMENT" you really "NEED" to make sure the person writing the review knows how to spell!
All in all I think this hotel would be better off being knocked down or at least sold to someone who is prepared to do the work on the building and not leave it to the leaseholders

• Stayed May 2014
5 Thank Saz114
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2014

the Douglas arms is under new management with Agnes and Brian and a lot of the old staff including Ian the chef and Karen front of house the hotel kneads your support so go back and help all concerned make I a success

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
#2 of 3 in Gatehouse of Fleet
The Birchtree Hotel
The Birchtree Hotel
#1 of 3 in Dalbeattie

Been to Douglas Arms? Share your experiences!