“Not like it used to be”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
England
“Not like it used to be”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

It has been a few years since we visited this venue and we were excited to return on a recent trip to favourite places with our daughter in tow for the first time.
The claim of the venue is this, 'In a Catering World full of ready to cook meals, synthetic desserts and water pumped cooked meats, where Artisan skills are scarce and not encouraged and out of season produce is tastelessly commonplace.... at The Schoolhouse we care about our food.'
The descriptions of the 'homemade' meals sounded appealing, so we chose the chilli and chips and chicken and leek pie from the specials menu.
I'm sure the mains were homemade but the accompaniments left alot to be desired. The 'crispy chips' were definitely crispy straight from a freezer, not homemade as you would expect from a venue claiming to care about food. The vegetables with the pie were very over cooked and the gravy was watery and lumpy.
The food here is expensive and the portion sizes leave alot to be desired.
Looking around at others meals I'm glad we didn't opt for our first choice of burger as this too looked of the frozen variety.
What was once a favourite stop off in this beautiful area was a turn off this time and it's doubtful we will return.

• Visited May 2013
4 Thank ZanteBlonde

London, United Kingdom
“TO BE AVOIDED”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We regularly travel along the A75 and have visited The Old Schoolhouse several times and used to look forward to doing so. The food is reasonably good although it is expensive for what it is; hitherto the staff have been polite but never warm. It's success lies in it's captive audience - there are so few half decent places to eat along this ferry road. We went last - and it will be the last - on the 9th April. My son (aged 12) had chicken pie (£8.95) which he enjoyed although the gravy looked as though it had been heavily over-microwaved, and the vegetables were over cooked; my daughter had a panini which was good but so it should be for £6.95. I had a large soup which said it came with homemade bread but it didn't taste or look homemade. However, these details we have tolerated because quite simply there is no where better to stop along this road during the day. I asked for a side salad. It was explained to me that they were individually priced - I definitely should have asked what at - and so I chose a carrot salad, a red cabbage salad and some lettuce. A small plate arrived; the carrot and cabbage portions were each a little over a tablespoon in size and I had two pieces of lettuce, two slices of cucumber and three halves of cherry tomatoes (see review 30.09.12); we then had two Princess Krunchies (caramelised rice crispies) & a small slice of Millionaires Shortbread for £2.65! When the bill arrived it was nearly £34 which horrified me. I asked Caroline Lawrie, the proprietor, to explain it to me and was told defiantly that each salad cost £1.55 "and I had been told they were individually priced". I pointed out that one of the salads was effectively a bit of lettuce & it was therefore unbelievably expensive. The concept of treating the customer's criticisms in a conciliatory and tactful fashion was not on the menu - she was rude and uncompromising. Living in London, I am used to paying a lot for food but this was ridiculous. I then paid the full amount. However, as I finished my tea, I was still confused as to why it all came to £34 and asked to see the manager again and go through the bill. They said the bill had been thrown away, so I went through with both Caroline and David Lawrie what we had had. I had noticed a charge for £1 and when asked they said this was "for corkage". I expressed incredulity and it transpired that my son had brought in an empty drinks bottle from the car and had forgotten to put it in the bin outside or in the loo bin, and had put it on the table instead. Caroline had collected it, not asked about it or said anything to me about it but had charged for it. I was outraged. There was nothing on the menu or anywhere to say that corkage was charged. It had been sneaked onto the bill, I suppose in the hope I wouldn't question it. I was told that often people bought their own drinks in (which I agree is completely wrong) but I pointed out that the bottle was empty and had not been consumed on the premises. I was then told they had to pay for their rubbish to be taken away! No apology, no nothing - although reluctantly my £1 was returned by Madame. A thoroughly unpleasant scene ensued. Arguably, the act of adding money to a bill without the express agreement of the customer and for nothing, is dishonest. They had many opportunities of discussing it with me. I note that the review of 26.03.13 mentions being charged for two drinks, when only one was served. The attitude and behaviour of the proprietors is completely unacceptable.

• Visited April 2013
12 Thank Emma O
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A lovely bite to eat”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The last time I stopped here was over twenty years ago with a bunch of young people. This time it was just the two of. We had a overly lunch and a good cup of coffee. The setting is very nice and has been well decorated.b the staff and service was great. I hope it will not be twenty years until our next visit.

• Visited April 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Simply Great Food”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is how they describe their mission statement. Not quite so, as our ham, egg and chips turned out not to be the warm freshly cooked slice of gammon we would normally have expected, but slices of cold ham more suited to a sandwich. That said, it was still nice ham, two eggs cooked perfectly and nice crispy chips. But the home made cakes - well, if you have a sweet tooth, then this is the place for you! A lovely selection of properly home made slabs of sugary deliciousness to threaten any diet. And some gluten free goodies as well. Service was courteous and polite, the heating seemed to be working just fine and prices very reasonable. An interesting stop-off, seemingly popular and bustling with locals and suited our needs for sustainance perfectly well.

• Visited March 2013
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Staff so rude!!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Went to lunch with friends,cute building and decor but absolutely freezing.Asked for a mocha coffee and was told this was not on their menu so asked for a cappuccino with a spoon full of drinking chocolate which they duly served and charged me for two drinks(to exhausted to argue)
We sat at the nearest table to the fire which happened to be a table for four,as there was only two of us the owner,yes the owner asked us to move to a table for two.I could have understood if the place was busy but there were only two other tables in.Food was home made but nothing special.There was such a horrible atmosphere we couldn't wait to leave and certainly won't be back.

• Visited March 2013