“Nice and friendly”

Mad Hatters
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I visited the cafe on Thursday afternoon on a wet and windy day
I was glad to be met inside by charming staff who were quick to take our orders and just as quick producing our lunch
The cafe was busy as it always is but the standard never slips this was just another of many visits to the cafe
Keep up the good work

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We didn't expect too much, it is a dog friendly cafe (we had ours with us which is why we chose it), but were pleasantly surprised. I had a small latte, hubby had a praline flavoured coffee, which he really enjoyed, and we both had a good sized piece of carrot cake, which was fresh and moist. The cafe had a good atmosphere, lovely friendly staff, and a fresh bowl of water and chew sticks for our dog. Good value at £6.50.

Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Good food whether a quick snack or something more substantial. Friendly staff. Well behaved dogs are welcome and given fresh water and treats.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were in Mad Hatters on a Monday lunchtime in early Sep 12 for coffee and teacakes. The latter were fine but my "Americano" was awful - it was very waeak and, to be honest, was not and Americano at all, just a black filter coffee. It was weak and tasted as if either it had been standing on the hot plate for too long or had been made by re-using the coffee grounds (a trick employed many years ago by the staff I worked alongside in a large steakhouse chain which shall remain nameless - but you see them at the Tower of London.

Similarly my partner's request for a skinny latte was unsuccessful - they didn't have skimmed milk. I offered to go and get a pint so they could make her one but our waitress told me that this would not be possible since the latte came straight out of a machine.

Castle Douglas is presenting itself as a fairly trendy place, with the nickname of "The Food town". More cosmopolitan types (the sort the town seems to hope to attract as tourists) expect to be able to get things like a "skinny" drink and I'm surprised that the cafes don't seem to be prepared to cater for such tourists. We'll try another coffee shop next visit.

2  Thank David H
Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

If you are looking for a dog friendly cafe then this would be a good choice, however emphasis is on the word cafe. Simple cafe food, at good value, served by friendly waiting staff, in a typical cafe setting with a typical cafe menu. Food wasn't the best but I have had far worse, and we were expecting something a bit more special being in the 'food town' of castle Douglas, so think we had set ourselves up for disappointment!