Kirroughtree House Hotel
The Crown Hotel(Newton Stewart)
$90
Creebridge House Hotel(Newton Stewart)
$135
The Downshire Hotel(Portpatrick)
$112
  • Breakfast included
Bank of Fleet Hotel(Gatehouse of Fleet)(Great Value!)
$76
Travelocity
Ken Bridge Hotel(New Galloway)
$89
Bruce Hotel(Newton Stewart)
TripAdvisor
The Selkirk Arms Hotel(Kirkcudbright)
TripAdvisor
All reviewspre dinner drinkswine listfresh fruitaccept dogschange of ownershipdinner menuold fashionedmain coursebeautifully decorated and verycountry housespent two nightsfriendly and efficient staffhigh standardlovely hotelhousing estaterelaxed atmosphereprevious visits
Reviewed February 16, 2007

A bit pricey which made the small single bed and the cheap extras (tea/coffee and mint on the turned down bed) seem out of context and just plain penny pinching. Why in the 21st century do we need jackets for dinner?

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank wandering_pict
Reviewed September 16, 2006

My wife and myself have just returned from a short break at the Kirroughtree House hotel. A winding drive from the road past a wonderful array of trees and immaculate lawns and verges brought us to an imposing country house hotel. We parked the car and had only just opened the tailgate when we were hailed with a "I'll see to the luggage" - at this point we had not actually been in the hotel but felt as though they had been waiting for us. This set the tone for the whole of our stay. We had a de luxe room on the second floor with views over the aforementioned woodland and rolling hills. There was a separate sitting room complete with fruit plate and sherry as well as the usual tea/coffee tray. The bed was most comfortable, though a little warm. Having said that were were able to sleep with the window open and never heard a thing from inside or outside the hotel. The bathroom was well appointed and, notwithstanding the age of the house (Robert Burns stayed there) and the fact that we were on the second floor. a poweful shower had all the water pressure we needed. Food was very good from the canapes with pre dinner drinks to an excellent cheese board. The menu was innovative and I cannot imagine that there is not something for everyone and anyone on the short but perfectly presented list of choices available. An added bonus was that they do a good range of half bottles of wine and champagne- not the usual two white and two red which so many hotels offer these days. Dessert wines and port were available by the glass if desired. Breakfast was ample and had a wide choice of all the usual, however I would recommmend the cold ham - some of the best I have ever tasted. Meals were served in two dining rooms. They could just about sqeeze everyone in to one but choose not to, as a result of which you generally have lots of space around you to have an intimate dinner a deux without listening to the adjacent conversations. I have saved the best till last. However much you pay you cannot get genuine warmth and friendliness from staff who seem to care about what they are doing, remember your name and seem to anticipate your needs - these things come from being looked after by competent and professional staff who are good at their job. Kirroughtree House hotel has these in spades and I commend it to you without reservation.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank bjh1
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed April 9, 2006

We have just returned from three perfect days in the Regal Suite at the Kirroughtree House Hotel. Quiet, understated, gentle elegance,impeccable, charming service, meticulously prepared and beautifully presented food and a reassuring atmosphere of discreet efficiency and friendliness combined to make this the best hotel we have ever visited.

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Hong Kong (British expatriate)
Reviewed April 21, 2005

My husband and I first stayed here in Summer '98 and found it to be truly excellent. It was one of the best hotels we'd ever visited. Since we have been living overseas for the past few years we have often thought of The Kirroughtree in connection with all the good things about home.
However, our most recent visit presented a different picture. The food was definitely not as good this time. It was far too salty, (though I asked for less salt) and I could even hear the lady at the next table commenting on the saltiness of her meal. My husband ordered a pigeon dish but he wasn't expecting 'Pigeon Tartare'!
The restaurant is definitely not recommended if you have any food allergies / intolerances. I requested that the chef leave out dairy products from my meals only to find that my tagliatelli had a mysteriously buttery taste. After going to enquire, the waitress returned to say there was butter on it but only a little! Just as well I do not have a classical allergy. This was particularly surprising given, as we later learned, the chef hails from Scandinavia, where understanding of food allergies is amongst the most advanced in the world.
We did feel, however, that the people in management were doing their best - I was presented with a lovely dairy-free orange dessert on one occasion - but that somehow not all messages were getting through.
The atmosphere had also become a little staid. All guests were dining in the small dining room and the few parties present were crammed in at tables immediately adjacent. This provided very little privacy or intimacy and quite a few disconcerting total silences.
Our 'Deluxe' room was very spacious and tastefully decorated to echo the Regency period, though the mattress on the canopied bed was due for replacement. The bathroom, presumably once a dressing room, was very large and comfortable with a free-standing Victorian bath.
We like to think of The Kirroughtree as it was seven years ago and dearly hope they will restore the standards of those golden days.

• Stayed: March 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cheshire, England
Reviewed August 7, 2004

If you are looking for unparrelled, yet unintrusive service with excellent food with spacious, individual rooms, no noise and situated in peaceful surroundings look no further - If you play golf then you have the added bonus of their sister hotel, the Cally Palace to play at... and seamlessly organised by the Kirroughtree Management team - a real "get away" from a stressful life.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member