Ednam House
  • Breakfast included
Valleydene(Yetholm)
The Castle Hotel(Coldstream)
  • Breakfast included
Dryburgh Abbey Hotel(St. Boswells)
View Hotel
The Collingwood Arms Hotel(Cornhill on Tweed)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe riverdining roomfaded grandeursalmonprincipal roomentrance hallold world charmcharming hotelold fashioned stylemain loungenight portercountry housewedding venueblack puddingcooked freshreception areastunning location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Have looked forward to staying at this fishing hotel for a long time, very charming hotel and staff, a bit on the shabby side but welcoming and comfortable,pleasant views from the bar looking down over the lawn onto the Tweed. BUT at £100.00 per night for b/b would I stay there again no!!

Room Tip: I stayed in a single overlooking the river
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Ralph Anne B, Owner at Ednam House, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Henry M
Thank you for posting your review of Ednam House. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay but are disappointed that you found the price an issue. That said, it is always worth checking our website for the best prices available as there can be very attractive deals on offer for those on a budget.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Some 60 years ago my late father remarried after the death of my mother and he and my step-mother spent their honeymoon in Ednam House. This proved a memorable experience and although they never went back, they often spoke of the hotel with affection. For many years I had intended to stay but never found an opportunity until my own wedding anniversary this year. Imagine my surprise when I found that the hotel still had its original Visitors' Books dating back to its first guests in the 1930s and my father's signature was there, dated October 1946.

The hotel is currently managed by Ralph and Anne Brooks, the third generation of the original owners and this continuity is almost certainly responsible for the wonderful welcoming atmosphere. Many of the staff have worked there for a number of years and nothing seems too much trouble. One feels completely at home, a refreshing change from the rush and bustle of many more modern hotels. Rooms are comfortable, adequately equipped for guests of all ages, including dogs. Many of the guests return again and again, most as fishermen and women. Evidence of the fishing interest is all around, from paintings of large salmon to display cabinets with a large collection of reels and flies.

Dinner was most enjoyable, smoked salmon was from the hotel's own smokery and many of the wines were from Mrs Brooks' family in France. Breakfast too was an occasion with honey from the hotel's hives in the riverside gardens, freshly baked bread and excellent bacon and Tamworth sausage.

Despite high expectations, we were not disappointed at finding this oasis, a few hundred metres from the town centre but set back from the street and surrounded by well tended and extensive gardens leading down to the river. We will return as soon as we can!!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank henry w
Ralph Anne B, Owner at Ednam House, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Henry W
Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review of Ednam House. Though the Ralph and Anne (yes: we share the same names!) of 1946 are long departed it is wonderful to hear they were able to create such fond memories for your father and step mother and that two generations later we were able to do the same for yourselves. It is one of the unique privileges of being part of Ednam House that these special connections are made over many years and often generations. Your very kind comments have been passed on to all the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Ednam House in the near future.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We attended a wedding at Ednam House Hotel recently. It is the most perfect venue for a wedding party. The situation overlooking the beautiful river Tweed is a sight to behold. The staff were truly amazing. The management made it all go with such ease. They could not do enough for us. The food and service were brilliant and all in all it made us wish we could get married again! A truly great team. We hope to stay there again very soon.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the River Tweed wonderful
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Ralph Anne B, Owner at Ednam House, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Angie V
We are so pleased you enjoyed the wedding that you attended recently at Ednam House and would like to thank you for submitting your wonderful review. Your very kind comments have been passed on to all the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Ednam House in the near future.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

On a beautiful sunny afternoon, my wife and I chose to eat at the Ednam House Hotel in Kelso. We were offered a table in their extensive grounds overlooking the river and sitting there in the sunshine watching the world go past was wonderful. We had a lovely light lunch and a cold drink. Staff were very friendly and we left feeling we had been treated well and had some nice food.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ralph Anne B, Owner at Ednam House, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Dear ColinLivingstone
Thank you for taking the time to post your great review following your recent visit to Ednam House. We are delighted that you so enjoyed your lunch out in the garden. We are truly lucky with our location overlooking the River Tweed; no more so than on a warm summer’s day. Long may this beautiful spell of weather continue. Your kind comments have been passed on to all the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to Ednam House in the near future

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

As a busy businessman, I've stayed in hundreds of hotels across the globe. From Norway to New Zealand and Morocco to Mumbai- I've seen it all. However, I have to say that Ednam House Hotel tops the lot. It may not be one of the most technologically advanced or most luxurious hotels in the world, but I truly fell in love with its quirky, old fashioned style. The staff were extremely friendly and I didn't experience a single problem during the course of my stay. The location for the hotel itself is on the banks of the famous River Tweed, and I can certainly see that this hotel would be a fantastic fishing resort. The food was wonderful also- some of the best I've had in the UK. The value is excellent too; I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the price of my stay wasn't as much as I would expect. Finally, I merely wish to say thank you for making my first visit to this beautiful part of Scotland such an enjoyable experience. Please pass on my thanks to all of your staff. I will undoubtedly be returning with my wife and two sons for a family break. Thanks!

• Stayed: February 2013
Ralph Anne B, Owner at Ednam House, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Simsmith
Thank you for posting your warm and generous review. We are delighted you were so enamoured with Ednam House on your first visit and we have shared your very kind comments with all the staff. We all look forward to welcoming you back to Ednam House with the rest of the family when you get the chance for that break in the Scottish Borders. Once again thank you for your fantastic review,