“good food”

Hoot 'n Cat
Ranked #2 of 8 Coffee & Tea in Kelso
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The cafe doesn't have a web site but more info can be found at the following: http://www.childfriendly.co.uk/family-restaurants/scotland/scottish-borders/kelso/the-hoot-n-cat/
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have visited this coffee shop several times and the food and service is always good the cakes look delicious but because the soup is so good I always have a bowl there fore no room for cake. The only negative is the tables are very close together so there is no chance of a private conversation. I think the arrangement of booking tables is wrong it should be first come first serve I have been in when 4 tables are being held while customers are in the coffee shop and can't be seated that's bad customer service. Other than that it is a lovely place to visit.

1  Thank bren4361

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I was taken there a week ago by friends and I must admit that it is set next to a most unromantic setting of a redundant chuch yard and public car park but inside it is cheerful and spacious with a very welcoming atmosphere. The homemade cakes are all displayed on the sideboards alongside baskets of homemade fruit and chees scones. We ordered coffee (with a free refill it turned out) from a very friendly staff member, and as we had eaten a late breakfast we decided on a cheese scone. These were large, absolutely delicious, and very cheesy which is often not the case with a so called cheese scone.
On an adjacent table two people were having filled baked potatoes which were huge and stuffed with either chilli or tuna in each case and a side salad which completely filled the plate. Prices were very reasonable and we shall definitely be going back on our next visit to Kelso!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

very very good cafe, the food great is fresh and tasty great selection, staff and service always smiling and pleasant, try the cakes yum !

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We were enjoying one of the hottest days of the year in the borders . . . . but what a job it was to find a decent tea/coffee shop. The choice as well as the prices were good. An iced apple drink and an iced coffee were ordered. In the few minutes we had to wait the tempting variety of cakes proved too much and the Victoria sponge was the choice. Service was efficient and despite it being quiet, this I am sure was with it being tucked away behind the Abbey rather than in the main shopping streets.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Had a day out in Kelso and stopped off here for a coffee before we set off on our walk. I had Latte and a piece of their lovely border tart. It was fresh, full of fruit and the pastry was light and crisp. My husband had their coffee and walnut cake, which he enjoyed and commented on how nice the coffee was. It was about 11.30 when we had our coffee and we did notice that there was a lot of tables displaying a reserve sign for lunch. The menu for lunch looked good with lovely soups, sandwiches, toasties etc. What I did like about this café was that the kids menu was healthy and not full of crap. They had rice cakes and fruit on offer for the kiddies which I thought was good. Staff were pleasant and there seemed to be plenty of them. I think if its a quick , light lunch you are looking for then this is quite nice and I can say that we enjoyed what we had.