“Pleasant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
“Pleasant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

As the coach driver with Travelstyle group originally booked at the ballachulish hotel we were re booked to this a sister hotel and I must say we were spoilt .... The hotel is well sited on the loch ... Staff were pleasant and always attentive ... Excellent food accommodation and facilities .... Definitely will recommend and will return
Well done to all staff and management

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel at the school October break and were lucky to get it on special offer for £79 dinner/b&B plus glass of Bucks Fizz each. The location of the hotel is second to none and the service was excellent even though the hotel was very busy. Menu choices were exceptionally good and very well prepared and served with attention to detail. The breakfast covered all tastes including a great choice of the famous Scottish cooked breakfast. Bar prices were exceptionally low and the bonus of a nice sized pool and spa facility offered the opportunity to lose some of the calories gained from eating so well. Will definitely visit again very soon and would recommend to anyone. Close proximity to Fort William and Glencoe makes it the perfect base for a visit to Scottish Highlands.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights, midweek, and we can't complain about a thing. The setting is lovely, the check-in was quick and the receptionist was very pleasant. The room had a great view over the Loch. The bed was massive and the heating worked well, thankfully, as the time we were there it rained practically non-stop. The weather didn't spoil our time there, as long as you have some waterproof clothing you're fine.

We were on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal and the food was lovely. I am lactose intollerant and I had advised the hotel of this before going. This was taken into account and they provided me with Soya milk for my tea/coffee and cereal. The breakfasts are buffet and there is loads of choice, cereal, fruit, breads, cheese and plenty of cooked options. Suffice to say we didn't leave the breakfast table hungry.

As the weather wasn't so great I would love to go back at a better time, spring or summer to see the area in all it's glory. I would have no problem staying at this hotel again, in fact I have every intention of doing so as the setting was beautiful.

This is a 3 star hotel and as such has the odd imperfection, so if you're looking for 5 star then you should look elsewhere, if you're looking for a lovely location, good food, swimming pool and exercise room and a comfortable bedroom then you can't beat the Isles of Glencoe Hotel.

Room Tip: Loch view rooms have a lovely view over the Loch and hills beyond.
1 Thank Lynda00713
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed here last weekend and booked using a voucher for £79 which included bed, breakfast, a two course meal and a bottle of wine. We really loved the location it was just gorgeous, even though it was raining. When we arrived check in was really quick. We were a bit worried at first because our room was right next to reception but there was no disruption from its location. The room was spacious, clean, bright and although the decor wasn't extremely modern it was neutral and pleasant. The view of the loch was super!! Dinner was lovely even with the fire alarm towards the end. We really enjoyed our time at the hotel and probably would visit again, on a voucher deal. We were apprehensive after reading reviews on here but I feel a lot of them were very harsh. Perhaps if we paid full price rather than a voucher we wouldn't have been so happy as it reminded us very much of faulty towers. The key people were running around trying to organise people who didn't seem to be entirely competent in their roles, for example, I ordered a venison terrine starter and the waiter who brought it to me thought it was salmon and also the night porter who was working the bar didn't know where or sometimes what the various spirits were. They ran out of glasses quite quickly and Stella didn't seem keen to wash out our tall glasses for us to reuse them instead of having tiny ones. We found all this quite funny but I could see how others might be offended. Having not paid top price we weren't bothered. Although the room was clean and lovely and we had no disruption from reception, we could hear noise from other rooms, for example, a dog barking in the room next door and a baby screaming in the room above (we appreciate these things are unavoidable at times however we expected the walls to be a bit thicker). Also we had two single bed pushed together rather than a double which didn't suit us perfectly as we were there for a romantic getaway. The pool was clean enough and the sauna lovely. The changing rooms are just plain weird, with big gaps in the sides of cubicles where people can see in, however this didn't spoil our time there. We did eventually leave the pool after a wee boy stood at the side and peed into it haha. The communal areas lack a bit of atmosphere, I.e. Background music and ambient lighting. Overall it was good value for the £79 pounds we paid, but the hotel would benefit from some changes which would make it perfect. Perhaps a leader within who could make the improvements noted with customer relaxation at heart?

Room Tip: Loch view rooms are wonderful.
1 Thank S C
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed here after the coast to coast race so I was delighted with the excellent full scottish breakfast and comfortable bed in a spacious room. I was very happy with the fantastic view over the loch. Good facilities.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank GarethRees
Patrick S, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Reviewer

I was really pleased to read your review with regards to your stay with us here at the Isles of Glencoe Hotel. I read your comments to the team and they were delighted that you found our team welcoming.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.

With all of our kindest regards
The Isles of Glencoe Hotel
Gorebridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Just back from a couple of days break at the Isles of Glencoe Hotel, to be honest it will be hard to beat this hotel for location, we had a room overlooking the loch and the scenery is spectacular. We were there on a voucher deal and had 2 nights B&B with dinner and a bottle of wine on the first night for £99. Definitely fantastic value for money, big down side was they had no red wine on the voucher deal! I never though to ask for a "better" bottle and pay the difference, wish I had as the rose wasn't too great!

The room was large, spotlessly clean, bathroom was large and modern and our bed very comfy. Breakfast was buffet style but enough on offer to please most people I would think. Staff were very friendly though a bit rushed off their feet at times and getting served at the bar sometimes took longer than necessary as the barman was also serving meals! Food was lovely and a good choice though we didn't arrive until after 4pm and our slot for dinner was 8.30 which was later than we would have liked.

Would definitely go back but would try and make sure I got it on a deal rather than pay rack rate.

Room Tip: definitely ask for a loch view room, the views are spectacular.
1 Thank LynneMorris2301

With all of our kindest regards
The Isles of Glencoe Hotel
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Its sad to see a hotel with such a stunning location get into such a state of disrepair.
We visited recently with an online discount voucher which I paid £79 for. For this we got a loch view room with breakfast and a voucher for £20 off dinner and a glass of bucks fizz each.
Our room was large with a stunning view. We had an extremely comfortable bed, one of the best I've slept in, in a hotel and a great powerful shower. Otherwise the room really could have done with refubishment.
We went for dinner, and were pleasantly surprised with our food, it was not exceptional but there wasn't really anything wrong with it. Because we had a voucher we had very little to pay for our two courses.
After dinner we didn't linger in the bar area as it didn't really appeal to us. All the communual areas, like the bedrooms are in desperate need of an overhall.
Breakfast was a buffet affair, where you have to go into a seperate annex area to collect your food. I didn't think this worked overly well and a better system could be put in place.
I didn't find the breakfast items were very good quality and ended up leaving most of it and just had toast and coffee.
The staff work hard and are very pleasant, I felt really sorry for them having to work in such a poor, sad hotel. I imagine they might frequently have to listen to a fair few complaints, none of which would be their fault.
I hope the owners of this hotel urgently find some money and give it a makeover as it would be a shame to see it close.

Room Tip: Choose a loch view room on the upper floor
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments with regards to your stay here with us at The Isles of Glencoe Hotel It is much appreciated.

I agree we have stunning views and I read your other comments with interest and I am sure you will welcome the news that we are due to start major refurbishment in the near future.

I do hope you decide to stay with us again in the future

Kindest regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
Ballachulish Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen
Onich Hotel
Onich Hotel
#1 of 2 in Onich

Been to Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!