“Nice hotel in great setting”

Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I booked a Saturday night (£20 supplement) at the hotel as part of a 5pm.co.uk deal which included 1 night accommodation, 2 course dinner for 2, bottle of wine (for your room) on arrival, breakfast. The deal was really worth it £90, we have stayed at the hotel before around 4 years ago and really liked it so snapped up the offer when we saw it. The rooms are large with great views but are in need of some work (some areas of mold in the bathroom and around the window). We were in the end rooms, in the building with the slanted roof. The views of Loch Leven and the surrounding mountains are great. Also if it was better weather there were picnic benches outside our room that would have been great.

The bottle of wine we received via a voucher for the bar and we expected this to have been a 'cheap' bottle of plonk (this has been the case at a previous hotel) but in fact we were offered an £18 bottle of Pinot Grigio from the bar with ice bucket - great! We booked a table for dinner and were put in the back room that was deserted at the time but was soon full and buzzing as the hotel was fully booked. There were some minor things with dinner, having to wait a bit longer than normal etc but the food and service was fine. The menu offered as part of the deal was good, no complaints.

( Though I was annoyed to see the same offer 1 month later with a different 'voucher company' £15 cheaper at £75).

The bar area, I still think needs a bit of work. It is lacking in atmosphere because if is too bright and is more of a hotel lobby than a bar. Perhaps more booths, corners and tables would be better. It really is just alot of couches in a brightly lit room with no music.

We remembered that the last time we visited the hotel we had breakfast in our room for an extra £2.50 per person, so went ahead and did this again. The breakfast was outstanding, a full cooked breakfast, tea, coffee, croissants, muffins, orange juice. All included in the price. Really enjoyed having this in our room with our nice view.

I would recommend the Isles of Glencoe but wouldn't want to pay the full price of accommodaton as it is in need of some refurbishment, but the management appear to know about this and the price we paid was more than reasonable.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a loch view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us and I am delighted to note that this is a return stay for you. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and your comments have been passed onto the team. Although, we are aware that the Hotel is in need of work, we all work very hard to give our guests the best experience and service that we can.
I am pleased to read that we have managed to do this for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles in the future.

There are newer reviews for Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed at the Isles of Glencoe hotel as part of the Ratrace Coast to Coast weekend and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. There was a good atmosphere in the hotel and it was a very pleasant stay.

Our room (for my Wife and 2 year old child) was spacious and faced the loch with stunning views, it was a little tired around the edges (the bathroom in particular could do with a refresh) but fairly good.

For my daughter there was a wee park to pay in and it was good.

I ate at the restaurant and had an “ok” pie with potatoes and veg (the meat was dry and it sat in a puddle on the plate), and breakfast was good but not great (instant coffee in a pot was awful, the pastries on offer were stale – we tried two, the cooked breakfast was better).

Overall this is a hotel that has a captive audience due to location and a great scenic backdrop but if it does not refresh itself and improve in a few areas it will join the long list of sad tired and diminishing businesses in Scotland.

Room Tip: Loch facing rooms are best
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Fearlessfergy
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us and congratulations on completing the Coast to Coast. Given the weather, I admire all of the athletes who competed in this.
I am pleased that you found the staff to be friendly and accommodating and that you also enjoyed the good atmosphere in the Hotel over the weekend.
I appreciate your comments regarding your room and my Managers are aware that we do need to invest in the Hotel to give it the lift that it needs.
I apologise that your meal at night was not to your liking and have taken your comments regarding this and breakfast back to my Kitchen team. Our pastries are cooked daily so I am really surprised that you found them to be stale.
Good luck should you decide to compete in the Coast to Coast again next year and I hope that we can welcome you back to the Isles at that time.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Another trip to the Isles of Glencoe in July where we had a relaxing and enjoyable stay. We were catered for splendidly from the warm welcome at reception to Jamie and his staff in the restaurant.
Already planning another trip within the nest two weeks.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wilna C
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us and I am delighted to note that you are planning to return again soon. I have passed on your thanks to my team with a special thanks to Jamie and his team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

.... If you are lucky to have the right room. I could notice three categories. The first, in the wing above dining room, have large window and the view over the loch is breathtaking. The second, in the opposite wing, have small windows under a long slope roof. Still facing the loch but seems smaller from outside and loosing much of the pleasure due to small windows. The third, same wing, facing the parking lot are ...not to be desired. Nothing compares with sleeping with the curtains open, the moon shining over the loch in the sweet sound of tiny waves right underneath open windows. It is a much better alternative to anything else in Fort William. The room was quite large by UK standards, normal water pressure in the bathroom, simple, modern and comfortable. No elevator. Parking was sufficient and free. Breakfast was kind of greasy but good. Generally we do not dine in hotel restaurants but after a short drive in Ballachulish we discovered that there is NO alternative, except cold sandwiches from the convenience store. So hotel's restaurant it is. The food was a little bit pricey but good; the personnel is local from the village, full of good intentions, but there is room for improvement. Nevertheless the view over the loch was so beautiful that I forget everything. Yes, the restaurant has also a view! The fireplace room adjacent to the dining room is full in the evening of travelers talking. Pleasant atmosphere. Last but not least, take the trail around the peninsula in the evening. A stop over when traveling to Scotland is a must!

Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Calator438

Many thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay overall and experienced the excellent weather that we were so lucky to have this year.

I have passed on your comments to my staff who all work very hard to give our guests the best experience that they can.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles in the future.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

My daughter and partner celebrated their Civil Partnership at this hotel on 7th September. The whole weekend was wonderful. The staff at the hotel pulled out all the stops to make sure everyone was comfortable. Our meals were lovely, from the buffet on the Friday night, breakfasts and the dinner was excellent. The staff must be congratulated on how hard they worked. One of our guests who is confined to a wheelchair needed extra requirements and these were met to a "T". Many thanks for making this a memorable weekend.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your attendance at the Civil Partnership of your daughter and her partner. I am delighted that everything went well and I am so pleased that you felt that we accommodated well for everyones needs and provided excellent food and service.
I will pass on your comments to my team who will all be delighted to receive this feedback. This was the first time that the Hotel had hosted a Civil Partnership so we all hoped that our hard work would pay off and from your feedback, it has.

Many thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I had stayed at this hotel almost 10 years ago and decided to come back to stay.

The views are unbelievable! No matter the weather the scenery is fantastic!!!

Staff were great, rooms were clean and tidy with great views. Breakfast is a little greasy but good none the less.

Defiantly recommended :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank helzio

I am delighted that you have chosen to return to stay with us again and that you enjoyed your stay for a second time round. Many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again for a third stay.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Myself and my husband had stayed at the Isles of Glencoe Hotel in Ballachulish on two occasions before this visit with our family. Our fist visit was 16 years ago, and the second was a year later. We had a wonderful time on both occasions, so when we decided to save up and bring our family of five (myself, my husband and our three boys, aged 14, 11 and 5) to Scotland for a holiday, we immediately thought of this hotel.
We booked early on in the year to get a good price, the money was non refundable and we couldn't change anything, but this was fine by us. We were going to stay for five nights in a family room with an extra bed.
Three days before we were due to leave for Scotland, the hotel called us and said that their renovation works had overrun and we couldn't now have our room on the last night of our stay. We thought this to be a bit strange as you would think that if works had overrun then it would be the first night of our stay and not the last one, but we didn't think too much of it. They offered us a room at a nearby hotel, but we looked it up and didn't like the look of it. We asked if they would be able to cover a night for us elsewhere in Scotland, but they said it was their policy to only cover the cost of a nearby hotel, no further.
We were unhappy that they had done this to us at such short notice, but tried to not let it spoil our holiday as we were all really looking forward to it.
We decided to break the journey home to Leeds by spending our last night in Edinburgh to show the children the sights of the city. Due to the short notice we only had a choice of two family rooms in hotels in Edinburgh, and to get a room we had to pay an extra £70 on top of the cost already of our holiday, but we didn't have any other choice.
When we got to the Isles of Glencoe hotel with our family, the location was still as beautiful as ever, but inside the hotel didn't look like it had been touched since our last visit 15 years ago. Fifty percent of the dining chairs had holes or stains on them, the sofas in the lounge area had stains on the arms and seats, in our room the carpet was stained and there were cobwebs on the windows. I thought to myself, it's a good job they are refurbishing the place, as it was looking very tired.
When we took the boys swimming, the so called doors on the changing cubicles had inch wide gaps around all their edges so to see if any were empty you couldn't help but see the people in the changing rooms, so not exactly high on privacy.
We stayed for our four nights, then when it came to checking out, my husband was chatting with the receptionist, and he commented that it was quiet this morning, and where in the hotel has been renovated? (We had not seen or heard any signs of workmen or renovations)
The receptionist said that it was only quiet for now as later on there were three coaches full arriving, and she said what renovations? There are no renovations!
So, to cut a long story short, the hotel got an offer of three coaches worth of business, and didn't have the rooms available, so they phoned us up three days before we were due to leave for Scotland and LIED TO US, and who knows how many other families, that there were renovations overrunning and that we couldn't have our room.
As you can imagine we were absolutely livid, we asked to see the manager, to ask why they would willingly lie to us and let us and our family down. Funnily enough there was no one available to talk to us.
We will not be returning to the Isles of Glencoe hotel because I simply don't trust them and the place needs a complete overhaul.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Claire H
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am sincerely sorry that you were advised that you could not stay for your final night with us and that my team advised you that this was due to refurbishment taking place. Unfortunately, we are still waiting for this to happen and you should never have been advised that this was the case. I have taken this up with my reservations team as they know that advising guests of work happening, which is clearly not, is not the way to deal with such situations that arise. We do have an overbooking policy in place, though I have said in the past that this should not be the case in the summer months as our business does materialise and it is not fair to then have to book guests to other hotels, through no fault of their own.
We are waiting for work to commence on the Hotel and are hopeful that this will happen in the not too distant future.
Having worked at the Isles myself for the past 18 years, it would be great to see the Hotel receive some TLC, which it so desperately needs.
I hope that one day you may consider the Isles again for a stay and that changes will have happened if you do.
Many thanks again.

Tracy Mackintosh

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
Ballachulish Hotel
#1 of 2 in North Ballachulish
Onich Hotel
Onich Hotel
#1 of 2 in Onich

Been to Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!