“Great Location, but ...”

Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I find that after 2 weeks in Scotland and Ireland, the rating of hotels is a little different than hotels in the US. This hotel says it is a 3 star hotel. In the US, it would probably be a 2 star hotel. Its best aspects - the lakeside location and view - are fantastic. The room I stayed in was larger than many of the other hotels I stayed in Scotland. The bed was fine and the bathroom was roomy. There was sufficient room for unpacking and packing 2 suitcases. The down side, was that the décor was old and plain, the furniture in the common area and dining room was worn and somewhat dirty, especially on the arms of the sofas and chairs. Some furniture had small tears. We were with a group, and there was one employee who gave us dirty looks when we tried to move a chair or 2 to accommodate fellow travelers. There were other times when others were unnecessarily chastised. We received a dinner, which was of varying quality, ranging from overcooked lamb (poor quality), to a quite tasty sauce on a black pudding. Breakfast was good. I would not say, for my wife and me, that this was a negative experience, but I also don't think the hotel deserves any rave reviews, except for the view. Would I stay there again? Possibly.

Room Tip: 1st floor, lakeside.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jibbajibba
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I do recognise as do my Managers that the Hotel is in need of investment and we are hopefully that this will start to happen soon.
I apologise that you found the lamb at dinner to be overcooked. Although I know that lamb can be presented slightly pink, we find that our guests do not like this.
I have taken your comments regarding the restaurant staff back to my F&B Manager and apologise if they were in any way unhelpful.
I hope that you would consider staying at the Isles again and maybe in the future we can welcome you back again.

Tracy Mackintosh

Write a ReviewReviews (1,659)

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Our 9 day trip of Scotland included a stay at this Inn. From the time the bus unloaded till the time we were loaded on the bus to go we had a wonderful experience. Luggage people were fast, desk check in was fast. The view from our room was wonderful. The rooms are very clean, well lighted, and large. Food service was really good, the food was good, and tasty. The view from the dinning hall overlooking the lake was so pleasing. The staff is so friendly and helpful. A wonderful stay for a trip of a lifetime.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the service to be efficient, the staff friendly, your room clean and comfortable and that you enjoyed your meals with us.
I note that you say that this was a holiday of a lifetime, but should you have the chance to return to Scotland again, I hope that we can welcome you back to the Isles in the future.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The hotel is just off the A82 trunk road, but most rooms are far enough away from it not to be affected by noise. The setting is fantastic, adjacent to a sea inlet and with wonderful views over Loch Leven and the Glencoe mountains. On a warm day or a summer's evening, the grassy terrace by the sea, which has several tables, is a perfect place for a relaxing drink.

The hotel has a glazed entrance which looks a bit like an afterthought, but the reception area is very pleasant, overlooking the swimming pool. The member of staff on reception was outstandingly friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

The hotel is clean but in places is looking more than a little worn and in need of refurbishment. The chairs in our room felt a bit precarious and some of those in the dining room were in need of re-covering.

The breakfast buffet may not be the most extensive but it's more than adequate, though the scrambled eggs (like those in too many hotels) leaned towards the granular rather than the creamy. The person on duty in the dining room in the morning (who'd also been on the bar the previous evening) was particularly pleasant and nothing was too much trouble.

If you can look beyond the wear and tear (which, with that view, shouldn't be too hard), this is a really pleasant place to stay, made even more so by those two members of staff: they really were special.

Room Tip: The rooms beside the grassy terrace have a particularly nice outlook.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the view from the rooms and the chance to sit out at the lochside and relax. We are very lucky with our location and hopefully, in the not too distant future, the Hotel will benefit from some much needed investment to give it the lift that it needs.
I have passed on your thanks to the staff and I am so pleased that we have been able to provide you with good service and that a couple of my staff members especially stood out.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying 2 nights in this lovely hotel in Ballachulish bed and breakfast. The staff were warm and welcoming, the bedroom was very comfortable, I had single occupancy of a large double room with a single bed alcove, and en-suite bathroom. My room had a fantastic view of the loch and hills, and was well equipped with freeview tv, hairdrier, ironing board and iron. Good tea/coffee making facilities, and the room was spotless. Breakfast was delicious, various cereals and juices, porridge, toast, fresh croissants, and full English breakfast. Fresh fruits and yogurts also available. The waiter served fresh coffee pots at our table.
Considering recent reviews on tripadvisor, I was really pleasantly surprised, the hotel well deserves 3 stars, and staff are of a high calibre for this rating. Give it a try, it is a great starting point for touring the Highlands, we visited Oban, Fort William, Kyle of Lochalsh, Skye, Kinlochleven, Fort William and nearby Glencoe. All in 3 days!!

Room Tip: Ask for a loch side view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at the Isles and that you found your accommodation to a high standard and the staff warm and welcoming. We all work very hard to provide our guests with the best experience possible and I will pass on your thanks to them.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Barking dog in next room and traffic noise outside. Wet dog roaming the yard caused us to keep door to loch area clsed. Leg of lamb in restaurant was too tough to eat. I am sure some rooms here are OK, but not ours. Nice view, but we would not return here.

Room Tip: On CIE trip in August 2013. This hotel was the low point. Barking dog in next room, traffic noise...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jim D
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

I am sorry that your recent stay with us was not as you had hoped. We do accept dogs into the Hotel, though if it is found that they do not settle in the room while their owners are not there, then we would encourage the owners to put the dog into their car or bring it into the Lounge. Had you advised us that there was a problem, then we would have been more than happy to help.
The Hotel is situated off a main road and at this time of the year, there is more traffic than normal, though we do not get complaints in regards to this.
I am sorry that you felt that the lamb was tough at dinner and had you said at the time, then we would have been happy to offer an alternative. I am not aware of any complaints in regards to tough lamb, but I have passed on your comments to my Kitchen team.
I am sorry that you would not return.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I spent a week at this hotel with my wife, daughters, their partners, & four grand-children. It was just right. The rooms were all loch-facing, spacious & impeccably clean. Our bed was the biggest we've ever slept in! The breakfasts were excellent, with a wide variety of choices, and dinner on the one night we ate at the hotel was just fine. The swimming pool and exercise room were much used by us, and did the job admirably. What we found to be the best aspect of the hotel was the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff - nothing seemed be too much trouble. I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be helpful and friendly and your room to be clean and comfortable. I am so pleased that you made good use of the Leisure facilities while you were here also.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stay here with our 3 year old using a 5pm deal on the last friday of August. Room was spacious with great loch views .We especially liked the nice big bed. The evening meal was very good and a great price. Swimming facilities are good for families and staff were friendly. Breakfast was great too just a pity our wee one was ill and we had to rush off early ! The hotel decor is a little dated and could probably do with refreshing at some point but for the price we paid we certainly had great value for money and had a great experience. Would stay again

Room Tip: ask for a loch view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and found the room to be spacious, your evening meal to be good and that you enjoyed the leisure facilities. I hope that your wee one is feeling better and such a shame that you had to rush off early.

Tracy Mackintosh

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
Ballachulish Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen
Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club
Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club
#14 of 21 in Fort William

Been to Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!