“Wonderful Spot”

Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on August 12th, on night #2 of a CIE tour, "Scottish Dream". What a wonderful welcome to rural Scotland! We had become quite wary of staying here after reading previous TA reviews, but our night in room 333 made us wish we could stay longer! The staff were super friendly, the full Scottish breakfast a delight, and the view of the loch from our room was everything a visitor to Scotland could dream of. The room itself was just great, with no complaints or disappointments to be found and even the weather was kind! We toured the nearby quarry, had a great dinner and couldn't understand why some reviews were so negative. Yes, the hotel may need a little sprucing up in some areas, but to us that added to the quaintness of the property. Definitely there was no issue with cleanliness, only some tired upholstery in the public areas. We would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 333, or any top floor room with loch view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that any negative reviews on TA did not deter you from staying with us. I am so pleased that you found your room to be comfortable and clean that you enjoyed your meals with us too.
I agree that the Hotel does need some TLC and I hope that work will commence to make some much needed changes in the not too distant future.
I hope that you will have the opportunity to return again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

After I read some of the negative reviews on Tripadvisor I wondered if I had made a mistake booking this place. My partner booked us one night here through one of the Internet sites offering bed, breakfast and evening meal plus a bottle of wine in your room for a great price. We both thoroughly enjoyed the experience, a minimalist but lovely room with views you would have gladly paid for in itself. The evening meal was acceptable not brilliant and the breakfast was very good. I will have no hesitation on going back to this hotel as I thoroughly enjoyed it, there is also a good pool and sauna not bad at all for a three star establishment. I think some reviewers should consider the price they have paid before making negative comments, you are not going to get Gleneagles quality at these prices. The hotel was more than acceptable with lovely staff who couldn't do enough for you!

Room Tip: Ask for a loch view!
1  Thank mcadamwj
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and felt that the staff were friendly and welcoming. I appreciate that you may have been a bit hesitant, given some of the reviews that we have received but am so pleased that you chose to stay and that it proved to be a very positive experience for you.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles in the future.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

i was treating my friend to a night here for her birthday with her beloved dog. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming and we had a great room on the ground floor where we could open the doors and let Holly, the springer out for a run around. This made it all the more enjoyable for my friend. There are a number of great walks close at hand. Okay the decor is tired and chairs etc. could do with a steam clean or recovered. The food is okay and I think they do their best. I had a 5pm deal which was great value. The views are lovely and again the staff work hard and are very friendly which to be honest more than made up for the fraying furniture. All in all a very happy experience. We will go back.

Room Tip: Loch view rooms essential
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Fiona R
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to provide you with a room that suited your needs with the dog. We are always very happy to welcome dogs into the Hotel and the staff like to fuss over them too.
I have passed on your comments to the staff, who as you know, all work very hard to give our guests the best experience that they can.
We are patiently waiting for investment to happen which will lift the Isles and give it the boost that it needs.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles in the future.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed here as part of a tour group for a couple nights. My experience was totally awesome! The property is adorable and is right next to a beautiful lake and mountainscape. My room had an enormous window with a perfect view outside. The staff were great - felt like they were part of the party. I wished I could stay there for longer than I did. I will definitely stay here again if I return to Scotland.

Room Tip: Get a room with a window facing the lake. You won't want to leave!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Olivia S

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent 2 night stay with us here at the Isles and found the staff to be very friendly. I have passed on your comments to them as we all work extremely hard to ensure that our guests have the best experience possible while here with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles hopefully in the future.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Yet another review outlining very similar comments to previous contributors, which clearly have not been acted upon by Senior Managers of this hotel chain. Such regular, negative comments must undoubtedly have a seriously demoralising effect on a staff group who tried to provide a good service, but who are seemingly let down by an inactive senior management. Surroundings are seriously drab & in urgent need for refurbishment; clean,comfortable bedding but stained, grubby bathroom flooring,& loose tap fittings, cheap decor/paintings, bed side light not working, and some lounge/dining room furniture was dirty & unsafe to sit on. Breakfast buffet was a complete embarrassment ; food provision was in a very dingy, small corner, no staff on hand to replenish empty food containers, trays had not been cleaned, & food standards were very basic ( grey, unappetising porridge, poor selection of cereals, watery scrambled eggs, tasteless mushrooms & bland coffee). Completely unrealistically priced at £135 for one night's B&B. Such a shame to have to write this as the location of the hotel is ideal for business & the grounds/location so attractive. Hopefully this hotel chain will make serious amends.

Room Tip: Cheaper rooms overlook car park.
1  Thank heather941
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am sorry that it was not as you had hoped. We work as hard as we can to make our guests experience enjoyable and I am sorry that you have been let down by the breakfast. We have had a couple of instances where our breakfast has not run as smoothly as it should and for this I apologise. This has been addressed with both the Restaurant and Kitchen teams to ensure that there is always plenty of food available and is being replenished on a regular basis. I have noted your comments regarding the breakfast trays and this has also been addressed with the Kitchen team.
We are hoping that we will see some much needed investment happening in the not too distant future to the Isles to give it the boost that it needs.
I hope that you would consider a return stay and that changes will have happened by the time that you do.
Many thanks again.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

The staff was so friendly and helpful. Though our room and beds were clean. The place was in a peaceful quiet location. Food was good.

My only complaint was the beds. They were like sleeping on a rock and the pillows where horrible. I had a bad headache in the morning.

Room Tip: Quiet location Freindly service Good food
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rebekah Oakensh... H

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, though concerned that you felt that bed was uncomfortable. Unfortunately, I do not know what room you resided in, so am unable to investigate this further or bring it to the housekeeping managers attention. We will, however, monitor feedback going forward for all of our rooms and highlight any that do not appear to be as comfortable as they should be.
Many thanks again.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have stayed at the Isles on many occasions for over 11 years. The total chill out experience has now gone apart from the views from the conservatory. We had our silver wedding there over three years ago and had a fantastic experience. At that point Tracey, David, Angela, Eric and co. made it an exeptional experience with their hospitality and kindness. We have visited a few times since and have gradually watched it go down hill.
The last time we stayed the beautiful mural on the lounge wall had been painted over, how very disheartening for the artists that put the time and effort in to this beautiful scene which added great character to the lounge.
We popped in on Saturday the 17th August for a drink before visiting friend in Ballachulish just to see if things had got any better but unfortunately we were soooo disappointed. The seats in lounge are far from acceptable and by all accounts the majority of rooms are in need of refurb. I felt so frustrated when I witnessed this as I know this could be an excellent 4/5* hotel if Akkeron invested in this hotels future.
How frustrating for the hotel management that put there all in to keeping this hotel afloat and dealing with the constant negative feedback when they propably also know that this hotel could be so much better.
How much more negative feedback do Akkeron need before the wake up to how much more business you can be making/losing??????????

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WendyMWestLothian

It was lovely to see you again and a nice surprise. Unfortunately, there is little that I can say at the moment to ease your disappointment. We all continue to work as hard as we can to give our guests an enjoyable experience, while we wait patiently for the work to commence on investment in the Hotel. I hope that when you return again that we will be in the position that some changes will have taken place.
Many thanks for your feedback.

Tracy Mackintosh

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
Ballachulish Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen
Loch Leven Hotel
Loch Leven Hotel
#1 of 2 in North Ballachulish

Been to Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!