“Don't bother” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
uk
“Don't bother”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Paid £596 for 4 nights B&B in a Dirty room, leaking taps, torn curtains and chair, thick dust in the folds of the curtains, faded and worn carpet. Poor food, over cooked pastry's, dried up looking fresh fruit salad. Some staff were friendly, others were rude and obviously thought guests were an inconvenience. Such a shame about this hotel, it's in a lovely location with amazing views ( if you can see them through the dirty, mouldy windows) A little investment and staff training could turn this place into a first class hotel. Until then if you have plans to visit this beautiful area of Scotland, find another place to rest your head.

Room Tip: go some where else
3 Thank c k
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your 4 night stay with us here at the Isles, and I am surprised that you did not ask to see a Manager throughout your stay as I am sure that we would have been able to help with the issues that you had.
We all work very hard to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay and we are always available should any of our guests wish to talk to us. In general, we receive very positive feedback and also constructive feedback too.
I would have very much appreciated the opportunity to have spoken with you while you were staying with us in the hope that we may have been able to resolve the issues that you had.
My apologies that your stay was not as you had hoped.

Tracy Mackintosh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Apart from the location our stay here was extremely expensive. £145 for one room for one night. The room was in very poor condition, curtains badly stained. Bathroom floor very dirty, had to wear my shoes as the dirt on the linoleum was extreme. Bath panel worn and old. Room basic. When we went down to breakfast the waitress was rude and unhelpful. We asked to sit at the window where there were plenty of free tables but were told we had to sit where we were told. This was the furthest table possible from the windows with a piller hiding any views. Breakfast was ok. Would not stay again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joaniemelonie
I am dismayed that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us here at the Isles. We are in the process of replacing bathroom floors throughout the Hotel as a few of them are past their best and although may look to be unclean, are not. I apologise if you found one of the waiting staff to be rude and have taken this up with the F&B Manager. If there were tables set for breakfast available in the conservatory or main restaurant, then there is no reason why you should not have been seated there. However, it may have been that the tables in the Conservatory or Main Restaurant were empty and cleared in preparation to be reset for lunch, as a very quick turnaround is required.
I am sorry that you feel that you would not stay again, but would hope that should the hotel benefit from some investment that you would change your mind and reconsider.

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

A lovely, enviable location but everything else was absolutely terrible; the room was very tired and unclean but very expensive, the food was horrible prepared rubbish and very over priced, the service was amateurish and unprofessional but worst of all the whole hotel was very dirty and unhygienic. Never again.

I suspect some of the good reviews may be pseudonyms from the hotel because I just cannot rationalise anyone thinking this hotel is ok, especially at the rates they try to charge!

Room Tip: I cannot recommend anything about this hotel or the rooms
3 Thank M C
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
I am very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us and even more disappointed that you chose to air your views on this site rather than asking to speak to a manager, to give us an opportunity to try and resolve the issues that you had.
I can assure you that all positive reviews are genuine and it is unfortunate that we cannot please everyone.
If you would like to discuss your stay further, please do contact me on 01855 812220 or e-mail me at gm.glencoe@akkeronhotels.com.

Buxton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

This hotel was in a beautiful location. Nestled on the edge of Loach Leven i felt like i was on board a ship when i looked out of my room in the morning. The room was lovely and large, The bathroom spacious. Clean and modern. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. We had an early breakfast sat over looking the Loch, stunning. We eat in the hotel the first night which was ok but we went to a near by pub- Bistro the second night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Next door to the hotel is a small boating lodge where you can hire boats or go on trips on the Loch which we did on our frist night. The couple who took us out were extremly knowledgable about the area and very freindly. We bought a lovely painting on slate that the lady does in the boat lodge.

Room Tip: Family room very spacious
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and had the opportunity to get out on the loch on a boat trip. I am glad that you found your room to be spacious and clean and enjoyed the view afforded by your room. I have passed on your thanks to the team for their friendliness and helpfulness. We always work very hard to ensure that our guests have the best experience possible.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the Isles again in the future.

Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stay here only to look out the window (but look beyond the glass though as the windows were filthy with cobwebs and bird droppings - this is in the dining room and the bedroom). Dont look too closely inside either - the whole place is just tired and verging on unhygienic. Dining room chairs were ripped, torn and stained; dining tables are all scuffed and ring marked; dead flies on the window sill; a beetle on the fruit bowl at breakfast; and a bee on my (dried up) croissant in the morning and one crawling up my arm at dinner; staff act like dinner ladies trying to corral a coach load of unruly kids (probably more used to catering for tour coaches); someone elses dinner bill was added to our room; 21 yr old malt was charged to the room when we only had the 12 yr old (as a result of all the cock ups on the bill checkout took close to an hour while we tallied the right amount for them); food was luke warm and average. Fawlty towers anyone? Such as shame as it is great location but we wont be going back until they renovate this place. The Ballachulish hotel went the same way and I wouldnt go back there either.

3 Thank Jane M
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry that it was not as you had hoped. We are awaiting new furniture for the lounge and restaurant and hope that this will happen soon.
I apologise that there was a mix up with your account and that this took some time to rectify. This has been addressed with the Restaurant management team so that they ensure their staff are all confident on the tills and charging to the correct rooms.
I am sorry that you felt that the food was lukewarm and average. In general, the most recent comments have been very complimentary regarding the food and any issues that have been brought to our attention have been addressed at the time.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Just came back from a lovely night at the isles of Glencoe! The hotel is not particularly fancy but the room was fine and the kids enjoyed the pool ! The food was not fantastic although the dessert was pretty good. What stood out was the staff every single member of staff we encountered was so friendly and helpful. It made our stay stress free when is fairly unusual when travelling with 3 young children, I would recommend this hotel to anyone with a young family ! The location is pretty impressive too !

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely comments in relation to your recent stay with us. I am delighted as are my team that you felt that we were friendly and helpful and that this helped to make your stay more enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles again in the future.

Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Some of the other reviews are a bit OTT, for sure the hotel is tired but the staff are great, the location is amazing. But it is true to say that what ever big corporation owns this place is taking the piss while taking the profits. We've stayed in lots of similarly priced hotels in the highlands in the past few weeks and this was not the best value for money. The decor is unloved and it's so busy and so expensive they're is NO WAY they can't afford to refurbish. Corporate greed. I think the Lanoch Inn down the road is raking in the benefits though. You'd do better in a B&B where the owners care.
The reception manager could not have been more helpful in helping us find somewhere else to eat and even booking a table there for us (The Lanoch - highly recommended) because the restaurant at the hotel was supposedly full, though it was half empty when we came to the bar after dinner. Incidentally, the bar was full of canoodling couples, of an age that told me they were either quite old newly weds or having a bit of a naughty night away with someone else's spouse. Hmm. It's Mrs McMiggin's B&B for us next time, I don't need to be witnessing these shenanigans over my whisky.

2 Thank Quakermum39
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and am sorry that we were unable to accommodate you for dinner at the time that you were looking for.
I fully appreciate your thoughts in regards to the decor of the Hotel and we are currently awaiting word for work to take place which will give the Hotel the TLC that it needs.
Many thanks again.

Tracy Mackintosh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
Ballachulish Hotel
#1 of 2 in Onich
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
#1 of 21 in Fort William

Been to Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!