“Not that bad”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
Princeton, New Jersey
“Not that bad”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Some of the other reviews are a bit OTT, for sure the hotel is tired but the staff are great, the location is amazing. But it is true to say that what ever big corporation owns this place is taking the piss while taking the profits. We've stayed in lots of similarly priced hotels in the highlands in the past few weeks and this was not the best value for money. The decor is unloved and it's so busy and so expensive they're is NO WAY they can't afford to refurbish. Corporate greed. I think the Lanoch Inn down the road is raking in the benefits though. You'd do better in a B&B where the owners care.
The reception manager could not have been more helpful in helping us find somewhere else to eat and even booking a table there for us (The Lanoch - highly recommended) because the restaurant at the hotel was supposedly full, though it was half empty when we came to the bar after dinner. Incidentally, the bar was full of canoodling couples, of an age that told me they were either quite old newly weds or having a bit of a naughty night away with someone else's spouse. Hmm. It's Mrs McMiggin's B&B for us next time, I don't need to be witnessing these shenanigans over my whisky.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Quakermum39
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and am sorry that we were unable to accommodate you for dinner at the time that you were looking for.
I fully appreciate your thoughts in regards to the decor of the Hotel and we are currently awaiting word for work to take place which will give the Hotel the TLC that it needs.
Many thanks again.

Tracy Mackintosh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Polish first
Ayr
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was most disappointed to find this hotel "tired" since my previous stay there. The interior of this hotel is needing a good clean and refurbishment. Sitting down to breakfast in the conservatory was rather unpleasant as a dirty wine glass from the previous evening was still sitting on the window sill and the widow sill had not been wiped and a number of dead flies were lying on it. Sofas, chairs and carpets are in serious need of replacing.
The food at dinner was very disappointing apart from the sticky toffee pudding. I had to return my starter of salmon terreine (which was tasteless and disappointing) this was replaced by soup which was acceptable. This was followed by sliced turkey and a sauce - unfortunately this course was not warm. Breakfast however, was good but once again the food in the hot food counter was not hot.
It is very sad as this hotel is in a most beautiful location but requires serious attention and investment from the owners.
I will not return to or recommend this hotel until it gets the TLC that it and the staff deserve.

Room Tip: The rooms to the front have a most beautiful view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ELSAyr
I sincerely apologise that your most recent stay with us was not as you had hoped and that you have found the Hotel to have become tired since your last stay. I appreciate your feedback and my managers do recognise that the Hotel is in need of investment, which we are patiently waiting to happen.
I apologise that there was a wine glass on the window sill from the night before at breakfast and that the sills had not been wiped down and I have taken this up with my Restaurant team.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your dinner experience and again I have taken your comments up with my Kitchen team. I am concerned that you indicate that your food was not hot as the plates are held in a warmer in the Kitchen before being served. Also at Breakfast, the hot counter is held at temperature and checked on a regular basis and topped up also. However, I have also addressed this with the Kitchen to ensure that everything is piping hot as it should be.
I hope that I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Isles in the not too distant future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Where to start!!
Have been to this hotel on a number of occasions over the last 7 years primarily as we enjoy this part of the country with great walks and that we could take our dog with us, The hotel has been very tired for years(in fact the same furniture is in the lounge only a lot dirtier) however on this trip the cleanliness was shocking, brown grouting in the shower tiles & base and rotten wood in the bathroom. The furniture in the room had worn patches and actual holes in the chair & sofa. I doubt that the windows have been cleaned in years as there are well established layers of dirt and spiders webs. I was going to venture into the pool but it was dirty around the edges so did not bother!! Despite all this the food always been good so we thought ...big mistake. We have always been able to choose from a proper menu ( what you would expect from any good hotel) not at th Isle of Glencoe!!!! An A4 sheet of paper with 4 starters, 4 mains & 4 desserts... The portions of which will not feed a sparrow and the main courses were £ 15 each. Since when did fish pie have 2 small pieces of fish with 6 minuscule mussels with a piece of puff pastry on top....really not good!!! Drinks also overpriced!!
Visited the Ballaheulisch for a drink and heard similar from their guests.. So no hope for the sister hotel either. The company who own these hotels need to get a grip and invest in their properties. They have the locations , they have friendly helpful staff so its obvious where the problem lies. I will not be back and advise anyone not to go even for special offers such as groupons till these hotels are sorted out. I am not looking for a response to this post as management responses seem to be a cut and paste exercise and full of platitudes. There have been revamp plans for the last 5years. I know it is difficult economic times but stop ripping off your guests with sub standard facilities

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank broski1
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. As requested, I am not going to post a response to the issues you have raised, but my Regional Operations Director will be in touch with you direct to discuss the issues you had.

South Ayrshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We have just returned home from touring the Highlands with our American family and spent our last night at this hotel where we have stayed many times before BUT !!!!!!n a total disappointment this hotel will soon be a disaster if the Ackeron Directors don,t get there act together and do a total refurbish asap The list of problems within this hotel would fill ten A4 pages also the staff do a wonderful job as there morale must be at a long time low the number of people complaining was absolutely horrendous .
If any directors of this hotel or there sister hotel in the area are able and man enough to telephone myself i would only be to happy to discuss this hotel in a gorgeous part of the Highlands with a spectacular view which has mega problems which i suspect Environmental health would have an issue with.

Room Tip: Is there one ??????
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. As requested, I have passed on your review to my Regional Operations Director, who will be in contact with you direct to discuss your issues with you.

Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Reviewed July 4, 2013

It was the best hotel out of the 8 we've stayed during our trip. The scenery of the loch & the mountain was awesome, just like a postcard . Our room on the ground floor opens out to the lawn & it was so picturesque . It's so romantic, unspoiled & peaceful. The room was clean, comfortable bed & clean sheet. The dining room also has a great view. Food was ok. Staff were friendly.
There's an indoor pool & sauna & steam room as well. Great place for family retreat.
I hope to return someday & spend a few days here again.

Room Tip: Take the ground floor as your room opens out to the loch & mountain view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I thank you for your feedback. I have passed on your comments to my team also.
I look forward to welxoming you back to the Isles in the future, hopefully for the few days that you are looking to have.

New Jersey
Reviewed June 29, 2013

In our simple but spacious room, the slanting windows were soon filled with the gorgeous scene of a double rainbow reaching into the loch, with a small boat floating in front of a small island. A priceless memory. Nearby, you could walk to an old slate mine that was glistening, peaceful, and filled with birds, deer, and other (non-scary) wildlife.

The hotel was also nicely appointed, with a good indoor pool to relax in, and free Internet. Staff were friendly and capable. Dinner and the usual large Scottish breakfast were OK but not inspired in taste or presentation. The reason to come here is because it is so calm and uniquely beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and had the opportunity to view a rainbow over the loch while here with us and take in the sights of the village too.
I am delighted that you have lovely memories that you can take home with you too.

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

A high percentage of the chairs in the breakfast / dining room are in such an embarrassing condition (torn fabric and food & drink stains) they should be scrapped / recycled immediately.
Given the shocking condition of the chairs I decided to investigate further within our bedroom (room 333-£125 for B&B double !).

Having noticed that the feet of the bed had been ‘vacuumed around’ I decide to pull the bed away from the wall. The human skin (and dust mites) over the carpet, on the skirting and indeed all the way up the back of the headboard made me feel sick. On bringing this to the attention of the hotel I was told that the cleaning staff are given insufficient time to clean each room. It was clear that this bed had not been moved for several months.

Oh- the last sitting at the restaurant for an evening meal was 8.15PM. When I requested that we can take a seat at 8.30 I was told the kitchen would be closed and we really need to sit down ASAP! We walked 7 minutes into the village and had a terrific bar supper at the Laroch Bar & Bistro.

Room Tip: Room 333 has a nice view but check behind the bed to see the room had been vacumed properly!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am sorry that it was not as you had hoped. My managers do recognise that our restaurant and lounge furniture is in need of replacing and we are currently waiting for this to go ahead. In the meantime, we do our best to keep the chairs as nice as possible though we do find it increasingly difficult to do so.
I apologise that your room had not been vacuumed sufficiently and this has now been dealt with. The housekeeping team are allocated an amount of time to service the rooms and do so to the best of their ability and in general feedback is very positive towards the team.
With regards to your request to eat in the Restaurant at 8.30pm, you spoke to the F&B Manager who advised you that as everyone who had booked for dinner had now dined, we would be taking our last diners at 8.30pm that evening. You asked if you could have room service which we agreed to and gave you a menu to take to your room. You then did not call down to place your order, and as we had no other residents or non residents looking for meals, we made the decision to close the Kitchen. We do encourage our guests to book their table in advance for dinner but find that some guest do chose to eat out. I apologise if you felt put out by this, but am pleased that you enjoyed your meal in the Laroch.

Many thanks again for your feedback.

Tracy Mackintosh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
RiverBeds Luxury Wee Lodges
#1 of 2 in North Ballachulish
Onich Hotel
Onich Hotel
#1 of 2 in Onich

Been to Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!