“Nice place, needs to try harder with the food”

Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
Kirkmichael, Ayrshire, United Kingdom
“Nice place, needs to try harder with the food”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Gorgeous, gorgeous setting - simply couldn't have been bettered. The room was spacious and very clean and the shower was great. The staff couldn't have been any friendlier or harder-working. The pool looked amazing but we didn't have the time to try it out I'm afraid - the weather was so nice we were outside most of the time. The food though - it was ok - a bit dull and uninspiring and I would second what someone else said about being well overpriced for what it was. The mussels which were 'presented' with my salmon were so over-cooked they had almost disappeared. The worst thing from my point of view was the tea and coffee, both of which were execrable. You don't have to buy the cheapest of the cheap! Would I stay there again? - in a heartbeat, but I will be taking my own teabags and asking for hot water.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view over the loch to the Pap of Glencoe
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Catriona H
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you found your room to be spacious and clean and that the staff were friendly and helpful. We all work very hard to try and give our guests the best service throughout their stay.
I am sorry that you did not find out food offering to your liking and felt that it was quite dull and uninspiring. Had you said at the time, I am sure that we could have worked with the Kitchen to provide you with a meal that you would have enjoyed, although we do get very positive feedback overall in relation to breakfast, lunch and dinner. I apologise if the mussels you received were overcooked and we would have been more than happy to have changed them, if we had been aware of this at the time.
I am also sorry that you did not enjoy our tea or coffee. Both are from reputable suppliers and our coffee is Douwe Egberts and Nescafe. However, I will pass on your comments and discuss any other comments that have arisen with my team and feed them back to my managers.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles and hope that you won't have to bring your own teabags with you.

Tracy Mackintosh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights on a busy weekend but with some concerns due to other Trip Advisor posts! All I can say is that there are a lot of 'nit pickers' out there! Although a bit dated the room we had was very comfortable and clean, staff were very welcoming and efficient and the breakfast was cooked well. Like a lot of Scottish hotels it was more expensive than average but the views were priceless and worth every penny! Don't believe all that is written, keep an open mind and prepare yourself for a visual treat!

• Stayed May 2013
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that despite what some of the Trip Advisor reviews have said, that you chose to stay regardless. It is unfortunate sometimes that for the hundreds of positive comments we receive from our guests on a weekly basis, that sometimes guests choose not to say anything at the time if they were not happy with their stay and then post a poor review on Trip Advisor, which we can then do little about.
I have passed your comments on to my staff and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles in the future.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2013

This hotel has a good location for those wanting to stay out of town. Our rooms were comfortable with wonderful views of the loch and surrounding mountains. The staff were friendly and always helpful. Evening meals ok, probably over priced for what was on offer. Most disappointing was the breakfast which was very poor for this grade of hotel. It did not compare in any way with the other hotels we used during our tour. Had we not had the views from our bedrooms, then I think we would have been very disappointed with our choice of hotel.

Would we stay there again, probably not!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am pleased that you found your rooms to be comfortable and enjoyed the views afforded over the loch. I am also pleased that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and I have passed on your comments to them.
I am disappointed that you did not enjoy breakfast with us and I have taken your comments to the Kitchen team.
Overall, the feedback is very positive in relation to our food offering, but thank you for bringing your thoughts to my attention.
I hope that you will consider the Isles again for a future stay and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Inverurie, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at what is a stunning setting for a hotel.Thats about all the nice words I have for the Isles hotel.

I saw at reception the pool and sauna which were empty and after a hard days hill walking in Glencoe it was just the ticket..or so we thought..the changing area was dirty in all areas I looked..tried the Jacuzzi 1st but it was luke warm as it isnt separate from pool.found it too cold to sit in for any length of time.pool had dirty water marks all way round tiling.Tried the sauna next. .no sauna heater to add water to and temperature only about 23deg..more like a drying room.we were even charged £1 each for a towel..yet no sign saying such charge applied on notice to pool.total disgrace fleecing for necessities after swim.

We sat outside for a drink while others in group got ready for evening meal.it got a bit cold at 630pm so went inside to go through hotel to get jacket from car..Only I couldn't as there were 90 chinese people from 2buses with suitcases blocking all exits and staircase..erm fire hazard and surely hotel staff could organise a better check in! I had to fight my way to car and back over lots of suitcases to the outside area.joke

Drinks were fine.but once bar got busy it was 3 or 4 deep and its only a small bar.

We got a table by the window overlooking Loch Leven..perfect..
And out came the menus..only 4 starters 4mains and 4 sweets. .strange poor choice was the immediate thoughts. 3 black puddings and a soup..black puddings were not Stornoway but a poor replica. I had the soup which was straight from a tin..akin to eating baby food. £5 a pop!

We all went for steak pie.plates arrived swimming in gravy with not much meat and a small pastry chucked on top.There was a hair on the potatoes which made me call back the old black haired waitress. .she was rude and just said "I will get you more" no apologies whatsoever. We had a small plate of microwaved cauliflower and 2 diced turnip and 3 slices of carrot between 4 of us.veg was hard and un edible.chips were ok as they were straight out of freezer £15 for a main worth 7quid.

Desert. . £5 like starters..3 had bread and butter pudding which was commented to be poor and not home made as promised. .by this point I didnt fancy much more of this dire fare and went for ice cream. .not any decent stuff either..oh no..icelands finest neopolitan..all icy and hard with no taste..I left it . disgusting and then the bill came for 140..we had been charged 25 for the steak pie! Refund given in morning.

And so to breakfast. .ive stayed at many hotels all over world and a few average in Scotland but this was the WORST breakfast ive ever had.
It started with sifting through 8 dirty cereal bowls to find a clean wet one .cereal was packets but there was no fruit to add to it:(
Flooring was sticky with spilt food and not a single member of staff over seeing area.went back to table with warm orange juice before re entering small food area again to get a cooked breakfast.
Trays were dirty just like plates.i opted for bacon, black pudding and sausages.
The bacon was swimming in grease and was very poor quality along with black pudding (not Stornoway) but the biggest shock was when I cut into the reddish-skin coloured raw inside looking sausage and the smell hit me..I dont know what the meat is but it smelled Vile.coffee was watered down..but that was to be expected by now.
The croissants were all black and burnt and noone touched them either.i took pictures to prove my points!

Point here: I have taken a sausage away to be analysed at the lab to see if it is fit for human consumption.
Needless to say we all left hungry.

Thank god we only booked the one night.

We asked to see manager who came and explained he was sorry for overcharged meal the night before and he said breakfast had been a fiasco with two bus loads arriving. ..lame excuses..he was told it was worst food we had ever had at premium prices.he knocked of £25 off our already over priced tired rooms.

I cant emphasise enough to AVOID this awful place who care not a jot for customers as they get plenty trade off unsuspecting tourists. .no repeat business here it seems.

1st time here and will be the last.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Terje227
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments in relation to your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am disappointed that your stay was not as you had hoped and I apologise that there was an error made with your bill and that you were overcharged.
In response to your review, I would like to put my comments forward. The Jacuzzi is a Hydroseat as it is part of the pool and not separate from it. It runs at the same temperature as the pool, which is 31 to 32 degrees. I am sorry that you did not feel that it was warm enough for you. The sauna is a bio-sauna which is designed to be run as a sauna and steam room, therefore there are no coals to put water onto. There is a sign on the bio-sauna door which explains how it works and that it is not designed to be run at high temperatures, but at comfortable temperatures which are more beneficial to the body and skin. As a resident in the hotel, our guests have the option to use their towels from their rooms or hire one from the front desk. This is noted in the in house folders in each of the rooms.
I do apologise that you struggled to vacate the Reception area due to guests checking in. Unfortunately, two of our groups arrived at the same time and despite trying to keep guests on one of the coaches until the other one had been checked in, this did not work. We dealt with the situation very quickly and had all the guests checked in and their luggage to their rooms very quickly.
With regards to your evening meal, I am sorry that you did not enjoy it. We do have alternative dishes available and had you said at the time, I am sure that we could have accommodated your needs. We do not advertise our black pudding as being from Stornoway, but it is scottish. The soup is not from a tin and is made fresh every day in the kitchen.
I am disappointed that your service person was rude to you and will be taking this up with that member of staff. We receive very positive feedback in relation to the staff so I am unhappy this situation has arisen. The vegetables are cooked al dente so that they do have a crunch to them. We would have been happy to have cooked them further had you wished us to do so.
With regards to your desserts, I am sorry that you did not enjoy the bread and butter pudding. It is most definitely homemade and one of our biggest sellers along with the sticky toffee pudding. We would not have stated that it was homemade if it wasn't as that would be against trading standards.
I sincerely apologise that breakfast was not as you had hoped and have taken your comments up with my Restaurant and Kitchen team. I agree that a member of staff should have been overseeing the servery and ensuring that all of the plates and bowls were clean and available for our guests and that any spilt food or drink is mopped up immediately and normally there is someone in attendance. I don't know why there wasn't on the morning you had breakfast and I will be looking into this. With regards to the cooked options, all of our food is from nominated suppliers and we have had no issues with foods being undercooked or smelling off in any way. We feed hundreds of people every week and I regularly consume a cooked breakfast and enjoy it.
My apologies again that you did not enjoy your stay with us, but I am confident that you will find that there are no issues with any of the food that we offer.

Glasgow, Montana
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My family and I have just arrived home from a lovely weekend at this hotel.
Our room was spacious, clean and the view from our room was amazing though where our room was there was a lot of noise.
The staff where brilliant so friendly and helpful. Dot and michelle a big thank you to you both!!!!!
The food was lovely too especially the breakfasts.
Thank again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and have passed on your thanks to my staff and especially Dot and Michelle. It is always great to see the staff mentioned as I know hard everyone works to ensure that our guests receive the best possible experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Visited this hotel in February and April 2013. Hotel is a bit dated and could do with a bit of a spruce up, which they have now started to do. In February the deal was for DBB with 4 drinks vouchers, which was great for all 6 of us (3 couples). Dining chairs at this point were a bit wobbly, food was okay, as was service. In April it was just 2 of us, the deal was for BB, however, we did dine on one night. Chairs were vastly improved in dining room, some recovered! Bedroom had a new set of curtains, which looked lovely. Food was ok and service was a bit better. It would appear that there has been a bit of a change in this hotel, for the better, if they keep making improvements I might even consider paying full price! However, i would ask that they pay attention to details for example dust collected under the tables (only noted it as i put my handbag at my feet!); also if someone has a special occasion small things like matching champagne glasses can make all the difference! Pleased to say though that most staff are now English speaking and can understand guest requests; and some of the longer serving staff appear to be a bit cheerier, which does help. Well done to the new manager, but please keep going :-)

Room Tip: Go for the rooms on the top floor above the dining room, they are more spacious and are generally qu...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your stay with us in February and April of this year. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stays with us and could see that we have tried to make some improvements with what resources we have.
Thank you for drawing my attention to the tables and I will bring this up with my team to ensure that they are being more thorough with their cleaning duties.
We are anxiously awaiting word of some investment into the Hotel, which I am hoping will be in progress by autumn this year.
I hope that on your next stay, you will see some further improvments and that we can continue to build on this.
Many thanks again.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013

In January 2013, We booked and prepaid 3 nights accommodation for 13-16 May 2013. While we were on the plane flying from Australia, Reservations sent us an email stating that they would not have a room for us on the final night of our stay. All the paperwork printed by us showed how much we would lose if we changed the booking, but apparently this hotel thinks nothing of tossing out guests who have paid 5 months in advance, to accommodate their preferred guests - coachloads of tourists. We stayed 2 nights - toilet didnt flush properly - 5 trys usually, heating could not be turned down, so we had to open the window when it was 5 degrees out, to save from suffocating, meals were shocking, and we were shuffled around the coach diners, staff have not been trained in how to look after guests, nor wait tables, our room was above the dining room for the choach diners,, so the noise coming into our room from below coupled with the noise from people walking around the rooms above us made for sleepless nights. We would NEVER recommend this establishment to anyone looking to travel in the Scottish Highlands.

Room Tip: Don't stay there - that is the best tip
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank judith w
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your stay was not as you had hoped. I am sorry that we had to relocate you for the 3rd night of your stay and apologise for the short notice of this. I had in fact found a solution for you which would have allowed you to stay for the final night, but unfortunately you had decided that regardless, you were not going to give me that option and I therefore refunded the cost of the 3rd night back to you. I am sorry that you had trouble with the toilet flush and I did alert my maintenance person to this. The heating in the room is controlled by the guests themselves as to how warm or cool they would like the room to be. I am sorry that you found it to be uncomfortably warm and again I have alerted my maintenance team to check the heating control to ensure that it is functioning correctly.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy yours meals. Most recent feedback has been very positive along with great compliments about my staff, who all work hard to provide our guests with an enjoyable experience.

Tracy Mackintosh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
Ballachulish Hotel
#1 of 2 in North Ballachulish
Onich Hotel
Onich Hotel
#1 of 2 in Onich

Been to Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!