“the view is worth it”

Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
Reviewed February 22, 2013

A two night break to relax and unwind is just the thing in this hotel ,the location is stunning with lots of activities on the doorstep.The hotel s clean and although some of the rooms are tired they are more than adequate for the purpose ,plenty of hot water for showers and baths even though the hotel was full.Meals are good with a small choice and a vegetarian option .Only thing that spoiled the stay was being locked out after returning to hotel at 23.20hrs and not being able to gain access until 00.20 due to the night porter being at the other side of hotel ,perhaps a mobile phone number to contact him would have been useful to display (hint for future)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed some of the activities in the area.
I sincerely apologise that the front door was locked so early and have brought this up with my Nightporter to ensure that he leaves the front door open until he knows that everyone is back in the Hotel.
I hope that despite this I can welcome you back to the Isles in the future.

Tracy Mackintosh

Write a ReviewReviews (1,663)

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My Wife and I stayed on a 5pm deal and it was worth every penny. Loch view room was great. Pool, Sauna, and location were all superb!!
Its a very good three star hotel, not pretending to be four star, yes it would benefit from a little refurb but hey there's not pots of money going around, - great service, friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a Loch View
2  Thank blottyscot
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Many thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for recognising that we do our best to provide a good service to our guests and this does show with the feedback we receive on a daily basis.
I am hoping that money will become available for investment to be made, but as you say, in the current climate, this is difficult for many companies to do.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles again in the future.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I cant really say anything positive about the hotel except that its location is great! However i cant really be negative either. I read the reviews on her after booking a deal through Groupon and was of the opinion that as long as its clean that is all that matters, as for us it was just a base to sleep really.
The whole hotel was in need of some new furniture and a bit of a re-vamp, the chairs etc in the bar/lounge were a bit grubby. The bedroom was much the same, it was not dirty but the corners could have done with a good hoover and dust! we paid £99 for 2 nights so were happy. But I would not have paid the full price to stay. The breakfast wasn't great, and looking at the price of the evening menu we decided not to eat there. We didn't use the pool etc so cant comment.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I do recognise as do my managers that the Hotel is in need of an upgrade and I am hoping that this will happen in the not too distant future.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast as we do get a lot of good feedback for the selection that we offer. I am also disappointed that you chose not to have dinner and felt that it was too pricey. I feel that our offering is value for money with freshly cooked food and homemade desserts and we do receive a lot of compliments for this.

I hope that you will consider staying again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I am writing this while actually in the room on the most uncomfortable bed I have ever had the pleasure of sleeping on. Now where do I start????. on arrival we are welcomed ok but have to walk thru the restaurant to the corridor to our room, not the best layout I am thinking. the room while decent in size is cold , damp and basic , water is all over the floor at the window,THe tv is old and dated, the room has no Hair dryer even though the use of the pool is free. The toilet is dirty , has hairs all over the place, is not cleaned correctly ... check the mirrors!!!! and has damp all over the place. We went for a swim which although small and is misleading looking at the pictures was ok if not overpowering in chlorine. WE went for our meal after having our warm / cold / warm shower's but after looking at the poor choice (4 starters andd 4 mains) walked out and went elsewhere. We ended up at Onich Hotel Lots of choice and half the price. ...When we returned we decided to have an early night so we coukd leave early the next day but as with earlier reviews we had a herd of elephant's above us who were obviously migrating elsewhere. All in all this place is a massive disappointment even with money off vouchers. ...stay away , there are sooooo many places round about with better food , better rooms and a whole lot cheaper snd cleaner.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank aduffin190968
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am extremely disappointed that it was not as you had hoped and that although I was on duty throughout your stay, that you chose not to bring any of the issues that you had to my attention. I am sorry that you felt that the bed was uncomfortable. This room is used by many guests and we have never had a complaint to say that the bed is uncomfortable.
Unfortunately, the design of the Hotel does mean that guests on the ground floor south wing do need to walk through our restaurant to gain access to their rooms. The other alternative is to go back out of the Hotel and around to the back of the building to gain access which many of our guests choose to do so.
Had you indicated that you were not happy with your room at the time, I am sure that we would have been able to resolve the issues that you had, but we not made aware of this.
We did notice in the Restaurant that you had chosen not to dine with us and I asked if everything was OK the following morning. You advised that the menu was not to your liking and I responded that we could have provided something of your choice had you advised us at the time.
I do feel that we tried to cater for you, but without feedback, then we can only do our best. We receive a lot of compliments about the Hotel, the staff and the food, but I do realise that everyone has different tastes and expectations. I am sorry that we did not fulfil yours.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

stayed here for two night on a easy breaks deal,girl at reception was very nice and told us everything we needed to know ,our room on 1st floor was nice and had stunning views over the water,room was clean but not very warm even with heater on full bed was a bit hard for me and pillows too soft,bathroom was nice but needed a good clean around the taps in bath you could see the build up of grime.
dinner was very good but no atmosphere in lounge area and seating well worn in places,bar prices are as you would expect in hotels (overpriced),poor choice at breakfast and not very hot even colder by the time you walk back to your table from the self service area,
pool was okish bit small not very warm in fact the room itself was so cool you were reluctlant to come out of water ,sauna was also not too hot and the changing rooms well yes not for the use of anyone who is a bit shy
would i return well yes the staff are excellent helpfull and friendly dinners also top notch and location is superb ,i have scored it as an average because the next up was very good i would only say it was good

1  Thank robmac13
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback in relation to your recent stay with us. I am sorry that it was not a good as you had hoped. Unfortunately, you have not stated which room you were staying in, but I have highlighted the issues that you had to my Housekeeping Manager, so that he can feed back to his staff and ensure that the standards are being met. The heating in the room is self controlled via the thermostat on the wall, but we would have been happy to provide a free standing heater for you to help bring the room to your desired temperature. I apologise that you felt that there was no atmosphere in the lounge. We do play background music, though if the Hotel is particularly quiet it can be difficult to achieve the desired atmosphere that we would like.
I am sorry that you found that the breakfast was poor in choice. We provide a full cooked breakfast as well as a continental selection and overall we receive very positive feedback. I have taken your comments back to the Kitchen in relation to the temperature of the cooked breakfast as the hot plate is turned on in plenty of time before the hot food is served and is regularly replenished so it should be hot at all times.
I unfortunately am not aware of any problems with the water or air temperature in the pool, but have asked my Pool Attendant to advise me of anything that is amiss. The pool water temperature is around 31 degrees and the air temperature should be slightly cooler, so that guests can dry properly without overheating. Our Sauna is actually a Bio-Sauna so it not designed to be run to such high temperatures as a Sauna or Steam room so I apologise if it was not what you were looking for.
I hope that should you return to the Isles that your experience will be a better one for you next time. Many thanks again.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Staying on a one-night deal with friends.

Swimming pool was cool, jacuzzi colder, changing rooms a perverts delight (my friends wife was being watched as she changed) due to the design of the stretched tarpaulin walls.

Rooms were adequate but dated. Some better than others. Bed was comfy enough but my friends was lumpy. The info pack in the room is a joke, no local info or details on bar prices.

Restaurant was great. A beautifully cooked meal and the bread and butter pudding was delish! Great service too.

The bar was overpriced (£4.10 for Bacardi and Coke of 25ml!!). Guy asked for Glayva and the barman told him they had none, even though it was on the shelf!

Breakfast was warm and good. No complaints there.

Overall a tired gem in a fantastic location.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank HallidayScotland

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent stay with us. I am sorry that overall your stay was not as enjoyable as you had hoped.
I apologise if you felt that the pool was cold. The temperature of the pool is around 31 degrees and the hydroseat runs at the same temperature as it is part of the pool. The design of the changing room cubicles was completed by the previous owners and I am hoping that these will be changed to more enclosed cubicles in the not too distant future.
I apologise that your friends found their bed to be lumpy and I hope that they did bring this to the attention of my housekeeping or reception staff so that it could be noted for further investigation.
Our in house information folder is designed to provide information on the Hotel including breakfast and dinner times, Leisure facilities available and what time they are open and closed and information on the rooms themselves. We have a desk at the Reception with local info for our guests along with a folder in the lounge with local walks that we are more than happy to provide copies of. Our bar tarrif is situated on the wall at the bar for our guests to view should they wish.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal and will pass your comments onto my team. Our bar prices are deemed to be acceptable for a Hotel and having been in other local establishments recently, our prices are very competitive in comparison to others.
I thank you once again and hope that you will consider the Isles again for a return stay.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Don't be fooled by the clever photography on the website - this hotel is really run down and badly in need of a refurb. It's only saving grace is the view and the staff - they were really helpful, especially the older lady with the black hair.

The seats in the bar and the restaurant should be condemned. I have seen loads of comments on here about damp and have to say that I agree with them - the window frame and the surrounding carpet area in our room was covered in black mould.

I don't know who was above us, but I think they had a baby elephant training for a marathon!!! Between endless hours of upstairs stomping around their room and what sounded like a stag party going on outside it was not the most relaxing of stays. We are also pretty sure folk were chucking stones at our windows.

The evening meals were really good, so we were surprised at how bad the breakfast was - poor selection and it was freezing cold. We didn't even bother going down on our 2nd morning. All the coffees I had were cold and the cups they were served in had seen better days.

The 'gym' is a joke - again clever photography. It's tiny, filthy (Im sure I saw mouse droppings) and the equipment in poor repair.

We booked this as a wee extra for our anniversary as we had seen a deal on linked in. If I had paid full price for this hotel I would have been furious. Avoid!!!

Room Tip: stay in another hotel!! :)
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lainieg
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us in January this year. I am sorry that it was not as you had hoped that you were disturbed by other guests throughout your stay.
I do recognise as do my Mangers, that the Hotel is in need of an uplift. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy breakfast and felt that it was a poor selection and cold. We offer a buffet breakfast which is constantly topped up throughout service, so nothing should ever be cold. Overall, we receive very positive feedback about our breakfast. I am disappointed that you did not bring your issues to the attention of myself or one of my team. We advertise the "gym" as an exercise room as that is what it is. The equipment is in constant use and I have received a quote for replacement equipment which I hope I can move forward as the year progresses. We have bait boxes around the Hotel, so I don't think that you would have seen mouse droppings. It may well have been something left by a previous user or even soil brought in on users trainers.
Thanks for your feedback and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.

Tracy Mackintosh

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
Ballachulish Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen
Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club
Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club
#14 of 21 in Fort William

Been to Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!